Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 03:09 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
What kind of food? There are some wonderful restaurants up here in the mountains, unless you're looking for pretentious over-priced, looks like it should be photographed and not eaten food. LOL. Try some good ole home country cooking after all that's part of the "mountain" experience........
Believe me, we tried. What’s funny is, we’ve chatted with several other couples who we met on the train, and we run into around the same touristy places. I asked them if they found any good places to eat, and nobody has. We finally got a good meal at an Irish Pub in Delonega today, but not Blue Ridge.

The shops are good, the train is good, the people are nice, but the food is the pits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 03:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,340 times
Fightingtown (bar food), Harvest on Main (chef driven), Southern Charm (meat and veggies) are each popular and well regarded restaurants for what they do. I could keep naming more good restaurants, but if you're unable to find good food at a restaurant in Blue Ridge, my best advice is that you have to get more than 100 yards off of 515 to get past the Burger King and the Arbys.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:10 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Beretta...... is it possible to "pin" a North Georgia Thread in the general section...?
It is possible to pin a thread but it would only be one thread and there would be all sorts of topics in one thread; therefore it might not be that useful. The Administrator limits us to two pins per forum.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:43 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Fightingtown (bar food), Harvest on Main (chef driven), Southern Charm (meat and veggies) are each popular and well regarded restaurants for what they do. I could keep naming more good restaurants, but if you're unable to find good food at a restaurant in Blue Ridge, my best advice is that you have to get more than 100 yards off of 515 to get past the Burger King and the Arbys.
I won’t mention names, but we inadvertently chose two restaurants owned by the same group. Another couple went to Southern Charm, and it was fine, but not remarkable. I’m not interested in “home cooking.” I get that at home. If we were here longer, we would certainly try other restaurants and surely something would be OK. Someone said Sue’s Burgers were good. We had hoped for fresh trout somewhere, but nowhere we went offered it.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Believe me, we tried. What’s funny is, we’ve chatted with several other couples who we met on the train, and we run into around the same touristy places. I asked them if they found any good places to eat, and nobody has. We finally got a good meal at an Irish Pub in Delonega today, but not Blue Ridge.

The shops are good, the train is good, the people are nice, but the food is the pits.
Go East.... Try Jim's Smokin Que south of Blairsville on Hwy 19. Some terrific BBQ!! The SawMill Place has wonderful breakfast. For Cuban you can't beat Dan's Grill just north on 19 from the BP/Duncan Donuts in Blairsville.

And for trout.... you might try The Flying Trout. Admittedly I've never been there, but I checked and they do have Trout on the menu. They are off Copperhead Parkway in Blairsville as well.

Last edited by aus10; 09-21-2019 at 05:19 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 05:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
I always go to Mike’s in Ellijay. It’s good homestyle food and the people are very friendly, not touristy at all. They serve whole fried trout.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:23 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I won’t mention names, but we inadvertently chose two restaurants owned by the same group. Another couple went to Southern Charm, and it was fine, but not remarkable. I’m not interested in “home cooking.” I get that at home. If we were here longer, we would certainly try other restaurants and surely something would be OK. Someone said Sue’s Burgers were good. We had hoped for fresh trout somewhere, but nowhere we went offered it.
Sue’s burgers are awesome! Joe’s BBQ as well. Love Harvest on Main. Fighting town is pretty good, too. Is Christy Lee’s still there?

Old 09-26-2019, 09:42 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Dillard House in Dillard, Georgia (not far from Tallulah Falls and the North Carolina State line)

Smith House in Dalonaga, Georgia (just off the old court house square)

Both of these restaurants are "Family style" where huge quantities of luscious southern cooking (everything from fried chicken to countless fresh vegetables) are brought to your table with limitless refills. I will say that between the two, I prefer Dillard House over the Smith House by a hair. Both definitely take out Southern Charm of Blue Ridge by a mile.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 14,004 times
Went for a visit a few weeks back , the Highlands.....first visit and will not be the last

Old 10-01-2019, 08:24 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnicola View Post
I would like to see a “North Georgia” forum on this site. Atlanta seems so far away from the mountain towns of Blairsville, Hiawassee, Clayton, and Blue Ridge. The terrain and way of life are very different from the bigger Georgia towns. Does anyone know how to suggest a new city on this site?
If Hilton Head/Bluffton/Beaufort can’t get its own forum, I doubt North Georgia could. Sumter SC has a huge thread in the S.C. forum, but isn’t put in Columbia SC area sub forum, I’d love to know how each area gets one though. Maybe it’s luck of the draw.

Edit: For whoever told me in a rep comment that Sumter is not in Columbia. I am aware. My sister lives there, it is about 35-40 miles and 45 min to an hour East. However, Sumter is not big enough to be a forum on its own. And when most people think of Sumter, Columbia is often lumped in. As they are pretty close connected by USHwy 378.

Last edited by BrandonCoombes; 10-01-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia