Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 11:12 AM

909 posts, read 545,397 times

Advertisements

This is a start, because of the on pouring of traffic into the big city of Atlanta is a right up in everyone's face that encounters this bottleneck.
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2020/2/10...-interstate-85
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 09:54 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Default It's time to extend I-185

Georgia has 1041 miles of two-digit interstates (2DIs). If you were to count I-16 as a spur route that starts in Savannah and ultimately leads to Atlanta via I-75, 904 of those miles are of 2DIs that either pass through or directly lead to metro Atlanta. Even if you dropped I-16, that still leaves 738 miles.

Using the same standard with three-digit interstates, 195 of their combined 225 miles pass through or directly lead to metro Atlanta. (I-475 is the one counted under this extended definition; for metro Atlanta only, it's 179 miles.)

There is no question that the most populous metro area in the Southeast outside of Florida needs good Interstate access. But there have to be some other routes as well for thru traffic. Over on the Atlanta forum we have a long-running discussion about the need and political viability of a northern bypass, which was shot down years ago. But what about the other three-quarters of an outer bypass that passes well away from the City of Atlanta? Already there is a proposal in place that would build what is arguably the southern piece of that link, I-14. I-14 would probably run between Augusta, Macon, Columbus, and westward into Alabama. This would also give Middle Georgia a much-needed east-west Interstate.

Now what about the north-south routes? We've already got the piece for one in place: I-185. It's time to extend I-185 northward past LaGrange, Carrollton, and Rockmart, connecting to I-75 north of Cartersville. Combined with I-14, this would give thru traffic on I-75 a much-needed bypass around Atlanta. It would also provide Columbus with a more direct route to Tennessee.

It's also worth extending I-185 south to Florida. If this happens, it may be time to rename what would be easily the longest 3DI in America to I-67. (I-67 is currently the only unused odd-numbered interstate between 65 and 75.)

Old 02-14-2020, 10:26 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Georgia has 1041 miles of two-digit interstates (2DIs). If you were to count I-16 as a spur route that starts in Savannah and ultimately leads to Atlanta via I-75, 904 of those miles are of 2DIs that either pass through or directly lead to metro Atlanta. Even if you dropped I-16, that still leaves 738 miles.

Using the same standard with three-digit interstates, 195 of their combined 225 miles pass through or directly lead to metro Atlanta. (I-475 is the one counted under this extended definition; for metro Atlanta only, it's 179 miles.)

There is no question that the most populous metro area in the Southeast outside of Florida needs good Interstate access. But there have to be some other routes as well for thru traffic. Over on the Atlanta forum we have a long-running discussion about the need and political viability of a northern bypass, which was shot down years ago. But what about the other three-quarters of an outer bypass that passes well away from the City of Atlanta? Already there is a proposal in place that would build what is arguably the southern piece of that link, I-14. I-14 would probably run between Augusta, Macon, Columbus, and westward into Alabama. This would also give Middle Georgia a much-needed east-west Interstate.

Now what about the north-south routes? We've already got the piece for one in place: I-185. It's time to extend I-185 northward past LaGrange, Carrollton, and Rockmart, connecting to I-75 north of Cartersville. Combined with I-14, this would give thru traffic on I-75 a much-needed bypass around Atlanta. It would also provide Columbus with a more direct route to Tennessee.

It's also worth extending I-185 south to Florida. If this happens, it may be time to rename what would be easily the longest 3DI in America to I-67. (I-67 is currently the only unused odd-numbered interstate between 65 and 75.)
Couldn’t agree more. Take 185 south through Albany and down to Tallahassee and I-10 as well. Would love to see this.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:32 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:

If it werent extended to Florida or atleast back to I-75 south of Atlanta it wouldnt really do very well for a bypass. If it is extended to Florida it should be extended to their proposed SunCoast Pkwy extension. I-14 would provide access back to Macon, albeit that would be a heck of a long bypass from I-75N just to bypass Atlanta.

Another should be designed between I-185 just outside Villa Rica to just outside Newnan to just outside of McDonough would really be needed to make it functional.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:13 AM

297 posts, read 260,057 times
Quote:

I agree! With metro Atlanta’s anticipated population growth in the coming decades (some projections up to 2+ million), the current system would not be adequate. Additional interstates/limited access highways need to be a part of the solution.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:17 PM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:

Interstate 67 would make sense. Florida is already studying extending the SunCoast Toll Road from where it ends north of Tampa to the Georgia border. An I-67 could continue from Columbus to Albany and then pararlell (or using) US 19 to Thomasville and in to I-10.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:52 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
If Atlanta can’t get a second bypass, the next best bet would be an interstate from I-59 somewhere in far NW Georgia down to LaGrange and yes, extend to Florida either through Albany or Dothan (Albany going to Tallahassee or Dothan going to Panama City)

Middle Georgia already has the fall line freeway connecting to Wrens and Augusta to the east and Columbus to the west.

But this has been talked about for years ad nauseum. Writing a letter to the governor or GDOT would be slightly more helpful.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:41 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
If Atlanta can’t get a second bypass, the next best bet would be an interstate from I-59 somewhere in far NW Georgia down to LaGrange and yes, extend to Florida either through Albany or Dothan (Albany going to Tallahassee or Dothan going to Panama City)

Middle Georgia already has the fall line freeway connecting to Wrens and Augusta to the east and Columbus to the west.

But this has been talked about for years ad nauseum. Writing a letter to the governor or GDOT would be slightly more helpful.
Writing letters to the governor and GDOT are good ideas and really good places to start for those who support extending Interstate 185 in both directions from its current alignment near Columbus.

I also think that the construction of an Interstate-quality superhighway (I-14) through the middle of the state from Augusta to Macon to Columbus (and on west to Montgomery, AL and Selma, AL to connect with the existing I-20/I-59 roadway east of Meridian, MS, is an excellent idea.

Though, one major challenge that seems to stand in the way of the construction of any new stretch of superhighway outside of the Atlanta region is metro Atlanta itself.

Road expansion projects that are similar to these seem to be much easier to bring to fruition in a state like neighboring Florida, where the state's exceptionally strong tourism industry can help to generate much revenue to fund roads from tolls.

But because Georgia's population is distributed differently than a state like Florida, with most of Georgia's population being concentrated in metro Atlanta and North Georgia (where, as we all know, large-scale road expansion projects can often land with a thud with a road expansion-averse metro Atlanta and North Georgia voting public) as opposed to being more evenly distributed throughout the state in multiple large population centers like in Florida, major expansions of the state's arterial superhighway network often can be much more difficult (if not seemingly almost impossible) to execute in Georgia.

I think that the idea to extend I-185 in both directions and give it a 2-digit Interstate designation (like Interstate 67) might would be a very heavy lift because of the environmental challenges in the northern part of the state (most notably, the "ridge-and-valley" terrain that is a feature of the local topography in the northwest part of Georgia).

The resentment that many metro Atlantans would loudly express in seeing a proposal for Georgia state government to spend billions of dollars to build a new all-terrain Interstate superhighway through a more sparsely populated region from Columbus south to Tallahassee instead of on transit in metro Atlanta also likely would be a major challenge.

(… One argument that most likely would be presented against funding the construction of an extension and conversion of I-185 into a 2-digit Interstate north to near Chattanooga and south to Tallahassee, would be that almost all of the existing US-27 roadway (with the exception of the stretch of the roadway that parallels the existing I-185 alignment) has already been upgraded to a 4-lane divided highway and 5-lane surface highway with a 65 mph speed limit through many sparsely populated rural stretches along the entire western tier of the state.)

Concerns about sprawl also most assuredly would be a major concern along the stretch of the superhighway that would be proposed to run between LaGrange and Rome.

At the end of the day, it probably might would be very difficult to overcome the perception (particularly in metro Atlanta and North Georgia where most of the state's voters live) that the proposal to extend I-185 all the way through the state from Chattanooga in the north to Tallahassee in the south was an expensive boondoggle that the state was wasting billions of dollars in limited transportation funding on when that money could be better spent on expanding transit both inside and outside of metro Atlanta throughout the north half of the state above the "Gnat Line."

I-14, on the other hand, potentially might could be easier to make a reality... That is particularly if the proposed road is presented as part of a comprehensive transportation package that included an overarching emphasis on a maximized amount of transit expansion in the Atlanta metropolitan area and in Georgia north of the "Gnat Line."

It probably should be noted that the way that the Fall Line Freeway (the recently completed east-west surface arterial highway that parallels where a future I-14 would run) was able to be started and completed with relatively little controversy, was that the construction of the road was almost completely overshadowed by the major controversy surrounding the construction of the extension of Georgia 400 through Buckhead and ITP North Atlanta in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

The construction of the Fall Line Freeway also seemed to be helped by the controversy surrounding the erstwhile-proposed Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc in the late 1990's and early 2000'.

The construction of the Fall Line Freeway seemed to continue to be overshadowed by the controversy around the Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc which sucked all the attention away from the Fall Line Freeway.

The construction of the Fall Line Freeway also seemed to be helped when the balance of political power in the state shifted away from the Democrats (in part because of the massive controversy around the Outer Perimeter and Northern Arc) and increasingly towards the Republicans.

That because after gaining power in the Governor's Mansion for the first time since Reconstruction in 2002 and after consolidating power by winning both chambers of the Legislature in 2004, the Republicans shifted transportation funding away from metro Atlanta and more towards the construction and expansion of rural surface highways... Rural surface highways like the Fall Line Freeway, which achieved completion (with virtually no fanfare from road construction-averse metro Atlantans and North Georgians) in 2013.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:47 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Writing letters to the governor and GDOT are good ideas and really good places to start for those who support extending Interstate 185 in both directions from its current alignment near Columbus.

I also think that the construction of an Interstate-quality superhighway (I-14) through the middle of the state from Augusta to Macon to Columbus (and on west to Montgomery, AL and Selma, AL to connect with the existing I-20/I-59 roadway east of Meridian, MS, is an excellent idea.

Though, one major challenge that seems to stand in the way of the construction of any new stretch of superhighway outside of the Atlanta region is metro Atlanta itself.

Road expansion projects that are similar to these seem to be much easier to bring to fruition in a state like neighboring Florida, where the state's exceptionally strong tourism industry can help to generate much revenue to fund roads from tolls.

But because Georgia's population is distributed differently than a state like Florida, with most of Georgia's population being concentrated in metro Atlanta and North Georgia (where, as we all know, large-scale road expansion projects can often land with a thud with a road expansion-averse metro Atlanta and North Georgia voting public) as opposed to being more evenly distributed throughout the state in multiple large population centers like in Florida, major expansions of the state's arterial superhighway network often can be much more difficult (if not seemingly almost impossible) to execute in Georgia.

I think that the idea to extend I-185 in both directions and give it a 2-digit Interstate designation (like Interstate 67) might would be a very heavy lift because of the environmental challenges in the northern part of the state (most notably, the "ridge-and-valley" terrain that is a feature of the local topography in the northwest part of Georgia).

The resentment that many metro Atlantans would loudly express in seeing a proposal for Georgia state government to spend billions of dollars to build a new all-terrain Interstate superhighway through a more sparsely populated region from Columbus south to Tallahassee instead of on transit in metro Atlanta also likely would be a major challenge.

(… One argument that most likely would be presented against funding the construction of an extension and conversion of I-185 into a 2-digit Interstate north to near Chattanooga and south to Tallahassee, would be that almost all of the existing US-27 roadway (with the exception of the stretch of the roadway that parallels the existing I-185 alignment) has already been upgraded to a 4-lane divided highway and 5-lane surface highway with a 65 mph speed limit through many sparsely populated rural stretches along the entire western tier of the state.)

Concerns about sprawl also most assuredly would be a major concern along the stretch of the superhighway that would be proposed to run between LaGrange and Rome.

At the end of the day, it probably might would be very difficult to overcome the perception (particularly in metro Atlanta and North Georgia where most of the state's voters live) that the proposal to extend I-185 all the way through the state from Chattanooga in the north to Tallahassee in the south was an expensive boondoggle that the state was wasting billions of dollars in limited transportation funding on when that money could be better spent on expanding transit both inside and outside of metro Atlanta throughout the north half of the state above the "Gnat Line."

I-14, on the other hand, potentially might could be easier to make a reality... That is particularly if the proposed road is presented as part of a comprehensive transportation package that included an overarching emphasis on a maximized amount of transit expansion in the Atlanta metropolitan area and in Georgia north of the "Gnat Line."

It probably should be noted that the way that the Fall Line Freeway (the recently completed east-west surface arterial highway that parallels where a future I-14 would run) was able to be started and completed with relatively little controversy, was that the construction of the road was almost completely overshadowed by the major controversy surrounding the construction of the extension of Georgia 400 through Buckhead and ITP North Atlanta in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

The construction of the Fall Line Freeway also seemed to be helped by the controversy surrounding the erstwhile-proposed Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc in the late 1990's and early 2000'.

The construction of the Fall Line Freeway seemed to continue to be overshadowed by the controversy around the Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc which sucked all the attention away from the Fall Line Freeway.

The construction of the Fall Line Freeway also seemed to be helped when the balance of political power in the state shifted away from the Democrats (in part because of the massive controversy around the Outer Perimeter and Northern Arc) and increasingly towards the Republicans.

That because after gaining power in the Governor's Mansion for the first time since Reconstruction in 2002 and after consolidating power by winning both chambers of the Legislature in 2004, the Republicans shifted transportation funding away from metro Atlanta and more towards the construction and expansion of rural surface highways... Rural surface highways like the Fall Line Freeway, which achieved completion (with virtually no fanfare from road construction-averse metro Atlantans and North Georgians) in 2013.
Thanks for the insight as always.

As you noted, I-14 would run along what is now the Fall Line Freeway. But it's a misnomer: not much of the FLF is limited-access. It's a 500-series state highway, which are typically four-lane highways, not 400-series, which consists of all of Georgia's freeways. So there would have to be a lot of upgrades around intersections. But it could at least provide most of the route. The State of Indiana is doing something like that to upgrade their state highway 37 into I-69.

I-14 would serve as the south quarter of an outer bypass. Now if we extended I-185 in north, there's two-fourths of the outer bypass done. Also sending it south to Florida and renaming it to I-67 might give it even more prominence.

I don't think that there will be as much opposition to I-67 south of I-20. It's not as hilly, and there's not as much environmentally sensitive land down there. But like you noted, north of I-20 it gets trickier. What they need to do is keep it west of the mountains where Paulding Airport is, maybe almost as far west as Cedartown (but don't run it through Cedartown--or any town). Once northeast of Cedartown, the terrain isn't too rugged, certainly less than in North Georgia.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:54 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
I'm all for I-14. We have it here about 40 miles north of my house. It would make my drives from Austin to Atlanta so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia