Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 PM

11 posts, read 29,066 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying property for investment rental in the Forest Park area of Clayton County, my real estate agent advises me that the area is fine for rental , however having read the blogs about Clayton County , the crime and the school accreditation issues , I am wondering if should not look at another county. I am thinking the rental rate may be low due the issues in Clayton County

I looked at Cobb County Austell but was put off by th recent flooding. I do not live in Georgia , but I also own property in Union City Fulton County that I use for vacation. Let me get some feedback on my prospective purchase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:05 PM

43 posts, read 118,309 times
Run, don't walk away from Clayton County. As a person that invests in real estate full time for a living, I can tell you that I would consider Clayton County a high risk. If the schools are bad you will have a hard time renting out the properties. Right now rental vacancies are up and it is hard to find good tenants. Even if you rent to someone that does not care about the schools, they are more than likely the wrong element. Also, bad schools cause areas to go down in general and increases in crime are usually a result. Very few people are going to want to rent in a high crime area.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Thanks, I am really not sure about which area to invest in , I also considered Cobb county , but with all the flooding I saw in the news especially in Austell I didnt want to venture in that area. What areas would you recommend , is the Stone Mountain /Lithonia area of Decatur any good ?. I had limited my search to Fulton , Cobb Decatur and Clayton.

My realtor seems to think that property in Forest Park , off Governors Drive is good and should be fine for rental , but I am really now a lot more concerned based on what you have said and I am aware of the issues with the school district and the mass transit ( CTran). Let me me know your thoughts onwhat areas /county's you would suggest.

Thanks a lot

Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton_devon View Post
Thanks, I am really not sure about which area to invest in , I also considered Cobb county , but with all the flooding I saw in the news especially in Austell I didnt want to venture in that area. What areas would you recommend , is the Stone Mountain /Lithonia area of Decatur any good ?. I had limited my search to Fulton , Cobb Decatur and Clayton.
It seems strange to me that you'd discount an entire county (or even a city like Austell) based on a one-time rain event.

The flood plains are fairly well documented (and if they weren't then, they sure are now after what occurred), and the extreme rain that hit west of Austell which caused the flooding was a 500-year event ... 16" of rain in a single day is completely unheard of in the state of Georgia, and would probably cause issues almost anywhere near a creek or other drainage area.

Of course, you do want to make sure that any property you get involved with is free from flood damage and not normally susceptible to such, but that is true of the entire metro.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:03 PM

The thing is I do not live in Georgia and was only referring to what I saw in the news , the property I looked at in Cobb was in the Austell area and I just didnt want to get into anything that would have had water damage. I am so confused by what I am reading here on the blogs as sometimes you read one person completely writing off an area and then someone esle says the exact opposite. I understand that it comes to either direct knowledge(living there) or perceptions based what you have heard. The one issue I have is that no one seems to be defending Forrest Park or the entire Clayton county. I have not been to Forrest Park , but I have been to Fairvew in a sub-division called the The Greens , it was nice there , but the HOA had restrictions on renting so i didnt take that unit.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton_devon View Post
The thing is I do not live in Georgia and was only referring to what I saw in the news , the property I looked at in Cobb was in the Austell area and I just didnt want to get into anything that would have had water damage.
I would recommend hiring a property inspector ... regardless of the area ... before becoming financially involved in ANY property.

A good inspector will be able to identify most cases of water damage as well as any other issues which might make a property structurally unsound or otherwise physically questionable, making stuff like "flood damage" largely a nonissue. Flood plain information is also available online.

Cobb County is an area which contains several different cities, dozens if not scores of subdivisions, and almost 700,000 people. That's a lot of area, and a lot of houses. It's also one of the best-run counties in the state, in my opinion, and contains some of the best schools as well.

Clayton County has some very real issues with the way its local government and schools have been run recently, which is why you see very few people defending it. There's no way I would buy a house there, but I would purchase again in Cobb in a heartbeat.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I would recommend hiring a property inspector ... regardless of the area ... before becoming financially involved in ANY property.

A good inspector will be able to identify most cases of water damage as well as any other issues which might make a property structurally unsound or otherwise physically questionable, making stuff like "flood damage" largely a nonissue. Flood plain information is also available online.

Cobb County is an area which contains several different cities, dozens if not scores of subdivisions, and almost 700,000 people. That's a lot of area, and a lot of houses. It's also one of the best-run counties in the state, in my opinion, and contains some of the best schools as well.

Clayton County has some very real issues with the way its local government and schools have been run recently, which is why you see very few people defending it. There's no way I would buy a house there, but I would purchase again in Cobb in a heartbeat.

You might say that the only way Clayton County can go is up. I would think houses in Clayton may be much less expensive than in Cobb; therefore, a riskier but more lucrative investment.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice , I have decided not to look at Clayton County and will revisit Cobb , Dekalb and Fulton counties .

Old 12-22-2009, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,680 times
Hi,I posted this before, but had not realized that you had to be registered, so will try again. I thank you very much for your comments here. Had been looking to buy a lot on Screamer, or somewhere in the Clayton region, because I do so love the countryside there, but now have decided that I really do not want to be within the region. I will now "Run", (not walk) away from the Clayton area. Thank you again!~Katrina~

Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 PM

6 posts, read 13,178 times
Being a Realtor in the Metro Atlanta area, I agree with the rest. Clayton county wouldn't be a good choice for your business. I currently reside in Gwinnett County, and the schools here are pretty decent. Rentals are more popular in the Norcross area, along with some parts of Duluth, and some parts of Lawrenceville. Dont know if you're looking for the city or suburbs, but these area are suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia