Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 08:50 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Really? Are you suggesting that you did not write this?

"The countries with the most success fighting this virus are the most homogeneous and it isn’t by mistake."

Maybe you meant to phrase it some other way, Ron?

Now that's an interesting claim, considering that I have already falsified it!

What herd immunity is and whether a vaccine-less herd immunity is a worthy goal are two separate questions, which you are choosing to conflate.

Quote:
"The countries with the most success fighting this virus are the most homogeneous and it isn’t by mistake."

That statement doesn’t mean homogeneity causes immunity. It means it’s very easy to convey and implement a message/plan to a population that speaks one language has consistent beliefs and is willing to listen. What you posted doesn’t even make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 09:27 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
That statement doesn’t mean homogeneity causes immunity. It means it’s very easy to convey and implement a message/plan to a population that speaks one language has consistent beliefs and is willing to listen. What you posted doesn’t even make sense.
What?? Being multi-lingual means that a nation can't follow simple directions to wear a face mask, which can be easily translated?? Yeah. OK.

Of course, as I've mentioned multiple times now (I think this is my fifth time), "homogeneous" nations have not necessarily succeeded against COVID-19 better than more diverse ones have.

But this is all beside the point. The jobs that were supposed to come back to Georgia have not come back. All that's happened is that our new cases/day rate remains stubbornly high with no end in sight.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
What?? Being multi-lingual means that a nation can't follow simple directions to wear a face mask, which can be easily translated?? Yeah. OK.

Of course, as I've mentioned multiple times now (I think this is my fifth time), "homogeneous" nations have not necessarily succeeded against COVID-19 better than more diverse ones have.

But this is all beside the point. The jobs that were supposed to come back to Georgia have not come back. All that's happened is that our new cases/day rate remains stubbornly high with no end in sight.
Actually there is an end in sight, assuming that there is immunity conferred on people getting and recovering from the virus. Divide GA’s population into the daily confirmed infection rate...at least until/unless a vaccine becomes available...

Old 05-24-2020, 12:52 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
No you didn’t. You provided one country and think it cancels out all the facts and data we have from many other homogeneous countries. You also tried to call New Zealand ‘diverse’ and have now moved onto ‘fairly diverse’. What next? Semi fairly maybe diverse?
Haha love it.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Haha love it.
Then there is this today from the UK:

Quote:
The Oxford University mission to find a vaccine for the COVID-19 virus is in "a race against the virus disappearing, and against time," Adam Hill, director at Oxford University's Jenner Institute, said this weekend.

Hill told The Telegraph newspaper that the number of people in the UK with the virus was falling at a rate that meant there might not be enough people to test the experimental vaccine known as ChAdOx1 nCoV-19.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oxford-sc...100847254.html

Maybe we can send these people to New York and New Jersey for the research?

Old 05-24-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Actually there is an end in sight, assuming that there is immunity conferred on people getting and recovering from the virus. Divide GA’s population into the daily confirmed infection rate...at least until/unless a vaccine becomes available...
Your repeating your herd immunity ideology does not suddenly make it viable. And I see that you are no longer making your ridiculous claim that social distancing recommendations are impassable with a simple language barrier, as if nobody in the world could translate simple directions.

Quote:
Then there is this today from the UK:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oxford-sc...100847254.html
How many news stories have we heard about a potential vaccine? It will take months, maybe years, to get one up to scale.

Quote:
Maybe we can send these people to New York and New Jersey for the research?
You may think human experimentation is something to joke about, but I don't. That's why I shun your herd immunity ideology.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Your repeating your herd immunity ideology does not suddenly make it viable. And I see that you are no longer making your ridiculous claim that social distancing recommendations are impassable with a simple language barrier, as if nobody in the world could translate simple directions.
I wasn’t the one advocating for herd immunity, I’m just stating a fact. You said there was no end in sight. Good, bad, or indifferent, once everyone gets and recovers from a virus - and if immunity is reality - then the end is not only in sight. It’s ended.

If immunity isn’t possible then a vaccine also won’t work.

I don’t recall making any claim about social distancing recommendations being impassible.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I wasn’t the one advocating for herd immunity, I’m just stating a fact. You said there was no end in sight. Good, bad, or indifferent, once everyone gets and recovers from a virus - and if immunity is reality - then the end is not only in sight. It’s ended.
My mistake, it wasn't you who kept repeating the foolish herd immunity ideology.

Quote:
If immunity isn’t possible then a vaccine also won’t work.
Huh??

Quote:
I don’t recall making any claim about social distancing recommendations being impassible.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:

How many news stories have we heard about a potential vaccine? It will take months, maybe years, to get one up to scale.

You may think human experimentation is something to joke about, but I don't. That's why I shun your herd immunity ideology.
The point of that article isn’t about the vaccine. It’s about the numbers dropping so fast they are struggling to implement a testing strategy/sample for any possible vaccine. Not shocking you couldn’t see that. Obviously people in New York and New Jersey aren’t getting the memo. It’s a disgrace what is and has been going on there so there are barriers of some kind.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
The point of that article isn’t about the vaccine. It’s about the numbers dropping so fast they are struggling to implement a testing strategy/sample for any possible vaccine. Not shocking you couldn’t see that. Obviously people in New York and New Jersey aren’t getting the memo. It’s a disgrace what is and has been going on there so there are barriers of some kind.
New York has put themselves in a much less bad position because of their life-saving measures. But let's get back to Georgia. The "herd immunity" ideology in effect claims that if we just get a bunch of people sick, some of whom will die, what's left of our society would have immunity from the disease. It would be a colossally foolish gamble with human lives to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: