Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 AM

33 posts, read 121,462 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have been reading many posts on here and found them to be quite helpful.

Currently, my husband and I live in Davie, FL and we are looking to move to GA. Preferrably, Acworth or Kennesaw areas. Our friends live in a beautiful house in Acworth and when we visited in January (When it snowed!) we fell in love and absolutely loved it!! There are many reasons for us to leave FL.

1. Schools
2. Taxes
3. Cost of Living
4. Home Owner's Ins.
5. People
6. Wages

Now we have done much research and compared the two states. We found that we could make the same amount of money we make now, we can afford to buy a home, we can afford to have kids, less traffic, less taxes/ home owners Ins., and of course we can afford to have a nicer life.

Now, our only concern is if it is worth it to leave our families behind? For me, I am stoked... I would leave tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I am close to my family as well. I am also an accountant and I know that we would be struggling for the next 10 years and I do not want to live like that. But, my husband is having second thoughts!! He loves fishing, the ocean, the keys, and being with his family (mainly his parents). He knows it would be the right move/decision but moving out of the city and state we were born and raised in is hard!

How do I convince him that we should move?

How far is the beach from Acworth?

Are there any activites on Lake Allatoona (ie. Fishing tornaments, Weekend Boat BBQ's, or events).

I appreciate any help. Especially, if you were in this situation. What did you do or say to convince your loved one?

Thanks Everyone,

Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 AM

12 posts, read 39,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeejulss View Post
Hello All,

I have been reading many posts on here and found them to be quite helpful.

Currently, my husband and I live in Davie, FL and we are looking to move to GA. Preferrably, Acworth or Kennesaw areas. Our friends live in a beautiful house in Acworth and when we visited in January (When it snowed!) we fell in love and absolutely loved it!! There are many reasons for us to leave FL.

1. Schools
2. Taxes
3. Cost of Living
4. Home Owner's Ins.
5. People
6. Wages

Now we have done much research and compared the two states. We found that we could make the same amount of money we make now, we can afford to buy a home, we can afford to have kids, less traffic, less taxes/ home owners Ins., and of course we can afford to have a nicer life.

Now, our only concern is if it is worth it to leave our families behind? For me, I am stoked... I would leave tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I am close to my family as well. I am also an accountant and I know that we would be struggling for the next 10 years and I do not want to live like that. But, my husband is having second thoughts!! He loves fishing, the ocean, the keys, and being with his family (mainly his parents). He knows it would be the right move/decision but moving out of the city and state we were born and raised in is hard!

How do I convince him that we should move?

How far is the beach from Acworth?

Are there any activites on Lake Allatoona (ie. Fishing tornaments, Weekend Boat BBQ's, or events).

I appreciate any help. Especially, if you were in this situation. What did you do or say to convince your loved one?

Thanks Everyone,

Julie

Hi Julie,

We are in the process of leaving Florida for Kennesaw. My husband convinced me because of the great family atmosphere there. Living so close to Atlanta affords you the ability to have the the best of both worlds...a little suburban life (although hardly true "burbs") mixed with the city. Nearby a new performing arts center was just built...

The ocean was a hard one for me to leave behind, as I grew up in Central America (where beautiful beaches abound). I've lived in Florida ever since and I think hammocks and palm trees are the life. I resort to the fact that while I am here I've taken all that for granted. Seriously, how often have I really been to the beach for the day?

Oh, by the way...you DID know for the price of a $300 home in South Florida, you can get a home for half the price in Kennesaw? Right? You should check "homes.com" to get an idea (or a similar website). I think you'll be surprised. Find a home with a backyard and a deck and I think you guys will envision BBQ'ing every weekend...perhaps a perk your hubby will take note of.

Good luck! Maybe we'll see you there!
~Lanie

Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM

33 posts, read 121,462 times
Yes, I do know about the home prices. Here in Sout Florida you can get a 3/2 1400 sqft on a 1/4 acre for $250k and your taxes/ins. will range from $5k - $7k -UHHH it is rediculous! And the homes in Kennesaw/Acworth are twice the save with more land! You pay literally half! and the taxes and Ins. are around $3k (from what I've seen and heard).

Lanie, Where in FL are you? What job industries do you work in and do you have jobs lined up? When do you plan on moving?

Julie

Old 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,326 times
You are about 3-4 hours from the Atlantic Ocean. The traffic will be worse, not better. But the Homeowner's Insurace is much, much less and the people are much, much nicer. We moved from S. Fla to Canton and would never move back. If you have any specific questions, just IM me. :-)

Old 06-14-2008, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 22,350 times
Kennesaw/Acworth are great places to live - here are some things to tell your hubby:

1) Kennesaw was ranked as one of the top 10 places for families to live in the nation last year.

2)Great access to the interstate.

3) Lake Allatoona has all types of activities throughout the year, including, ski competitions etc.

4) The people here are fantastic!

I currently live in Kennesaw and have lived here for 20 years (after growing up all over the US) and I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia