Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 PM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,716 times

Advertisements

If the majority of the towns people wants the theatre to not show certain plays or the like, then thats the way it should be. We should cater to the minority, nomatter what Hollywood has been shows up to support the minority view....

Last edited by LLD; 01-31-2007 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: removed personal commentary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 01:15 PM

27 posts, read 174,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
Moderator cut: removed personal commentary If the majority of the towns people wants the theatre to not show certain plays or the like, then thats the way it should be. We should cater to the minority, nomatter what Hollywood has been shows up to support the minority view....
The "majority" had nothing to do with it, just a very vocal minority and one loony county commissioner. Thankfully, the theater is flourishing and produces whatever plays they wish in spite of that vocal minority. They did not cave in and I applaud them for that. They have an ever more diverse playlist now than they did before since they no longer depend on any county funding.

Last edited by LLD; 01-31-2007 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: adjusted quoted material previously cut

Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Default Hwy 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTeacher View Post
If you ever saw "Designing Women", they used to refer to the Big Chicken on there all the time. It used to be a must landmark when giving directions to anyone unfamiliar with the area.
I lived 'Out There' for a while--close enough to the Big Chicken.
I really don't care for the area.
I like what they have done with Marietta Square--a place to visit.

Whatever it takes to get this state in better shape--I guess most of us will live through the growing pains. Something needs to be done for/with South Georgia--lived there for a while. Third world conditions for some. jmo.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:17 PM

[quote=bhs119;323113]I lived 'Out There' for a while--close enough to the Big Chicken.
I really don't care for the area.
I like what they have done with Marietta Square--a place to visit.

Whatever it takes to get this state in better shape--I guess most of us will live through the growing pains. Something needs to be done for/with South Georgia--lived there for a while. Third world conditions for some. jmo.[/QU

What is that old saying? "Nothing Endures except Change." Marietta Square is a definite bright spot in that area. And yes, driving through many areas of South Georgia is like a trip back in time.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 PM

245 posts, read 652,777 times
Default Cobb County

I'd agree with those who warn about Cobb County. It IS different from the rest of the area. The AJC even did an article on Gwinnett vs. Cobb -- why is Cobb so different and so rigidly fundamentalist when demographically it's very similar to Gwinnett, where none of this holds much sway.

As far as the humidity goes, it's bad but I find Atlanta much more temperate than places like the midwest. They get it much hotter and nastier in the summer and much more cold and bitter in the winter. Look at the averages -- 89 is the average high during the hottest months of the year. Some years are worse than others. Last year was very bad. Our elevation helps a lot. I've lived in Memphis and Saint Louis, both of which make Atlanta seem positively wonderful in the summer!

Last edited by LLD; 01-31-2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: removed inflammatory and off-topic comments

Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTeacher View Post
I can only judge by what I have witnessed myself. I lived about two miles from Town Center Mall but got to know a good portion of the county. I have friends in Rochester, Minnesota but have to wait until spring to visit them again. I hate cold weather, though we seem to be in middle of a cold snap even here. Hee Hee
That's fair enough. :-)

We've mainly been doing stuff (and meeting people) in the southeast corner of the county, so that'd be Marietta, Smyrna, Mableton, and Austell mostly, but my wife has friends in Alpharetta and Duluth and such too (i.e., not in Cobb). We might just travel in more tolerant circles, which is quite possible (most of the folks are people we've met online first <g>), and I haven't tried to pick a fight with a Fundie since college (I'd much rather live and let live than try to brow-beat them these days).

I'm from the western suburbs of Minneapolis, and my wife is from up near Cloquet, so the only things I know about Rochester are (1) The Mayo Clinic and (2) IBM used to have a LOT of AS400-related people there, along with some Really Big Buildings (long and wide, not tall) just north of the city.

I absolutely **LOVE** this weather. It was a little disappointing not to see snow, but I'm glad the ice didn't hit hard (we like the flowers on our cherry tree and want to be able to enjoy them this spring!).

Old 02-01-2007, 12:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
I'd agree with those who warn about Cobb County. It IS different from the rest of the area. The AJC even did an article on Gwinnett vs. Cobb -- why is Cobb so different and so rigidly fundamentalist when demographically it's very similar to Gwinnett, where none of this holds much sway.
Huh... I daresay my curiosity has been piqued now. :-) Gotta go see if I can find that article on the AJC site...

Old 02-01-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That's fair enough. :-)

I absolutely **LOVE** this weather. It was a little disappointing not to see snow, but I'm glad the ice didn't hit hard (we like the flowers on our cherry tree and want to be able to enjoy them this spring!).
I am visiting my dad this week who lives in extreme north GA so we actually got to see some snow. It was pretty wimpy but enough to cancel all the schools in the area. At least, the kids got something out of it. :-)

Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 33,192 times
not much to do in bartow, Rome is close, growing, some good stuff, some great outdoor activities in the region, atlanta is all right once you're in it, though traffic is horrible and cost of living high the metro area is definitely suburbia, depends on what you like

Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 PM

11 posts, read 62,128 times
Hi! I currently live in Alabama, but I grew up in Acworth, on the county lines of Bartow, Paulding, and Cobb. I have very fond memories of living there. I went to school at Emerson, which is close to Cartersville. While the schools there may not be up to the standards of what the rest of the state is used to, I found them far superior to the schools I transferred to in Alabama! I remember enjoying the two lakes (Acworth & Allatoona) and the rolling hills. The Etowah Indian mounds were a great place for a picnic, and Redtop Mountain State Park was close by for hiking! My dad worked at Lockheed for 30 years and commuted to Marietta from Acworth. My favorite part about Acworth is that while we had cow pastures near my house, we were just minutes from the mall in Marietta, and if we wanted some real adventure, well then Six Flags and such were not much farther away! I am very interested in how that area has changed since I've lived there 10 years ago. I must admit that I miss Georgia a lot! I've never really been able to consider Alabama my home...my heart is still somewhere in Bartow county. Guess I should come out there for a visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia