Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 01:10 PM

164 posts, read 523,395 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else consider these two states and why did you choose GA? We are thinking of relocating from Miami FL to either GA Marietta area or TX Austin or Sugar Land area.
We are very confuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM

89 posts, read 122,157 times
No offense but Georgias getting full of people running from South Florida there everywere and they cant seem to leave Florida behind. My votes for Texas...Texas is a great state visited there many times and they probally dont have as many Floridians coming there so theres not as much bad feelings toward Floridians.I vote Texas...Texas...Texas.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 25,991 times
Hi, I JUST moved to Atlanta from Dallas this past weekend!

I moved to Dallas, TX 2 years ago from Miami, FL. (Native Floridian HERE!!) I would have to say that in my opinion Georgia is the better of the two. I like the bigger city attitude and you will not find that in Texas.

Taxes are very high om Texas - I guess thats where the joke comes from...Texas = Taxes! This is very true! Sales tax alone in the Dallas area is8.25%..VERY HIGH! I still own my house which sits on Lake Lewisville and property taxes are high as well. BUT, homeowners insurance is low, about $900 a year compared to Miami at what, $4,000??? LOL

So, just me but I rather be here in ATL than in TX!

Good Luck to you!

Old 02-08-2007, 02:22 PM

67 posts, read 377,079 times
Contrary to the opinions of some, very few people in GA spend their time worrying about where their neighbors or co-workers came from.... and who they should be liking or not liking. Everybody in GA came from someplace else anyway... so there's very little bragging rights about who was new Georgian #99,125,326 compared to who was #99,125,327.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 PM

89 posts, read 122,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
Contrary to the opinions of some, very few people in GA spend their time worrying about where their neighbors or co-workers came from.... and who they should be liking or not liking. Everybody in GA came from someplace else anyway... so there's very little bragging rights about who was new Georgian #99,125,326 compared to who was #99,125,327.
Well maybe in Savannah its not a big thing but in certain parts in North Georgia curbing the growth is a major issue to some. Some places can handle the growth and some cant. It seems that developers in North Georgia who are just out to make a buck turn every small mountain town into the suburbs and then cash out and leave. We really do have enough Floridians here right now and I truly believe Texas can handle more newcomers then we can in North Georgia that is. But I believe if someone was looking to move to Georgia south Georgia is the place were they would be happier. Even some of my freinds and co-workers who are from Florida wish that especially the retired people from Fla would stop flocking here. I visited Texas many times and its a great state much more diverse I believe then Georgia and the weathers nicer too. So I cast another vote for south Georgia or Texas.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 AM

7 posts, read 26,795 times
Default Definitely GA

I relocated from Coral Springs, FL to Dallas (Frisco), Texas and I absolutely hated it!!!!!!!!! Property taxes are extremely high, along with auto insurance, and it is beyond hottttt in summer! Worse mistake ever.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Before transferring to Georgia, I actually had a choice of Atlanta or Dallas.
I chose Atlanta for the following reasons:

Closer to family

Better views - Mountains and Green vs. Flat and Power Lines

Taxes - The last poster is right, even though Texas does not have an income tax it more than makes up the difference in other ways.
High Sales tax, depending upon the area can exceed 10%
Very high property tax
and big oil but no gasoline production so high gas costs.

Insurance - Due to Black Mold issues, homeowners holds the highest premium charge in the nation outside of Cali and Jersey.

They do have good TexMex though.

For the South, I prefer Georgia over Texas. and lastly if you think Atlanta Hartsfield is bad, try Dallas Fort Worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia