Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2020, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 10,615 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me understand differences in Bent Tree and Big Canoe?
I understand one major difference is above vs below utilities. Big Canoe had
an almost Disney feel to it, but we haven't toured bent tree (need realtor to get in of course).

Also, are there other sorta comparable neighborhoods in Dahlonega or other n GA mtg towns?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 03:06 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
We looked in Bent Tree ~15 yrs ago, but didnt buy there. We bought a 1,200 sq ft weekend place in Big Canoe.

Big Canoe is more upscale, larger, and has higher end and more extensive amenities. Of course, you pay big for all those amenities, but many are a la carte...like the health and fitness center, golf, tennis, pickleball.

The carrying costs eventually wore us down, and we sold at a loss after 15 years. Do not expect appreciation in Big Canoe for condo's. Also know that there are lots of weekly renters in Big Canoe, & that too gets old to be exposed to.

Big Canoe had a water problem, they failed some water quality tests, and they were going to need costly upgrades to their water treatment system. I'd check in to the status of that. they also had a monthly water bill minimum even if you dont use 1 drop of water, & that was highway robbery. It kept getting jacked up. Our electric bill was high too because we didnt have any natural gas. The POA fees more than doubled on us, and luckily the HOA fees stayed fairly constant.

Big Canoe's main clubhouse was supurb for meals, cocktails, view, dancing, socializing. Prices were quite fair. They had a lot of weddings up there, so that would cause parts of it to close off quite a bit.

Golf is excellent, but of course very hilly. Tennis center is nice, Lakes are clean and stcoked with Rainbow Trout. Great little marina for kayaking, & electric pontoon boat rentals.

If you buy in Big Canoe, understand ALL the recurring monthly, quarterly, annual costs, and know they can increase a lot. Be ready for crowded weekends each Spring/Summer/Fall with the weekend renters at the pools & lakes.

We wish we had just rented and not owned in Big Canoe. I strongly sugest renting/leasing for a while before buying anything.

I cant speak much to Bent Tree. Golf course isnt as nice as Big Canoe. Bent Tree feels more remote. Big Canoe has a IGA grocery not far away and 2 nice restaurants outside the North gate.

We have great memories there, and some not so great. Rent first.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,615 times
Thank you for the quick and helpful reply! We are looking at full-time home ownership and wonder if that would prove better for appreciation. We are reviewing all of those extra costs and trying to wrap our head around them, and wondered how the current compared to the past - certainly don't want them to increase routinely. Unaware of the water issue, will most certainly research.
Leasing is an excellent idea we will take to heart, especially in light of your experience.
Again, thank you.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:30 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
We have visited Big Canoe for the past 7 years and have friends and family living there. We are actually in the process of closing on a home there in the next month.
As the previous poster stated the big differences are in the amenities. BC has more and more upscale, Bent Tree has less and more rustic. The POA fee used to be much lower on Bent Tree but I believe a few years ago they went away from the a la carte and have one payment for all activities regardless of you used them and that has raised it close to BC levels. The water issue at BC was resolved by selling the water company to a private company they have been upgrading pumps etc. Water is not cheap specially if you only live there part time. Leasing will be difficult to find, those that have then do Airbnb where they can make more money.

There are cheaper places for sure but we didn’t find any that worked as hard in maintaining the natural feel of the land by not cutting tree downs and creating lawns. We are excited about moving there but I’m sure we will run into things we dislike no place is perfect.

Good luck to you in finding the place that works for you.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:11 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I have not been in Big Canoe for 2.5 years now, so I cannot speak to real estate appreciation, but in the 15 years we owned a condo, there was very little or no appreciation.

Lots depreciated over time while we were there.

Single family homes near the gates did okay. The single family homes near the North gate have a lot more kids and families.

I heard people complain that lived too far from the gates, that the drive just to get to the gates began to wear them down.

I'd suggest if you really are bent upon buying and not leasing/renting there, buy near one of the gates, and not towards the back of Big Canoe. Stay close to the clubhouse, Tennis, Golf, fitness center, main pool, ect.

Cox Mountain is a good location if I recall. I think the entrance is across from the POA office.

I just cannot suggest buying there w/o renting/leasing first for at least 6 months, and preferably 1 year. Do a deep dive on average days on market, appreciation over time, & utility minimums.

The small private school near the IGA had just closed down when we sold, and that hurt the families that sent their kids there. The public schools were far away, and not very good if I recall. I was shocked they let that private school go under.

I'd suggest getting the POA minutes to the meetings, and reviewing them, and the annual budgets over the past 10 years. Its seemed to us that the POA was spending money like crazy. I think they just bought a bunch of additional acreage, so look in to how that may affect you if the sales lag. It might have been across the street...I can't recall, but it was a lot of land, and they got a long term mortgage on it. I never could understand the justification for that.

If the Smoke Signals newspaper is still being published, you need to be reading every issue to get a feel for things in and around Big Canoe.

I also suggest using a realtor that is outside the gate, an not the realtors in the developers sales office inside the gate.

Lastly, most of the time we owned in Big Canoe, there was a convenience store and gas station in the central village. It was owned by the IGA owners. That closing down was a huge detriment to the community. Having to drive to the IGA for everything was a pain in the butt. I wouldnt buy in BC w/o that store re-opening....it was that convenient, and losing it was a killer for us "weekenders".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia