Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2006, 02:55 PM
KMT KMT started this thread

80 posts, read 355,764 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I am looking for information about homeschoolng in Georgia. I have read the statute and understand the provisions but would like some input from people who actually homeschool in Georgia. Specifically, the statute mentions standardized testing after a certain age. Are these specific standardized tests, or are they tests chosen by the parent?

Thanks,

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 PM

29 posts, read 162,542 times
Hi there!
I have been homeschooling for 9 yrs. Any standardized test is sufficient.
I myself use the CAT. It is easily administered and you don't need a third party to administer the test. This test can be obtained by Seton.org. They also grade the tests and send the results back to you for a fee of approx. 25.00.
I'm enrolled so it comes with our tuition. Seton is a Catholic school, but anyone can order from their resources. Hope this helps! ;-)
Kristine

Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
KMT KMT started this thread

80 posts, read 355,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandahudson@yahoo.com
Hi there!
I have been homeschooling for 9 yrs. Any standardized test is sufficient.
I myself use the CAT. It is easily administered and you don't need a third party to administer the test. This test can be obtained by Seton.org. They also grade the tests and send the results back to you for a fee of approx. 25.00.
I'm enrolled so it comes with our tuition. Seton is a Catholic school, but anyone can order from their resources. Hope this helps! ;-)
Kristine
Kristine:

Thanks for your help. What county did you have to notify your intent to homeschool and how receptive/supportive (or whatever) are they?

Keith

Old 07-13-2006, 12:16 PM

29 posts, read 162,542 times
Just contact the board of education within the county in which you live.
Georgia's state laws are super lenient.(much to the chagrin of some local overzelous school officials) Thereafter, all you need to do is send in
a attendance report monthly. The county will supply and mail all necessary forms to you. Some counties have officials that are super helpful, others
have personal agendas and ask for information that by law, are not required. leave those blank. Us veterans consider excessive nosiness to be an infringement of our right to privacy. For reference, <www.hslda.org> lists the laws in every state. Excellent organization for information and support!
If you let me know which county you are moving to, I may know someone there. I was formerly on the board of directors for the Catholic archdiocese sponsored homeschool support group. I have many contacts to obtain information if you should need it in the future.
Best regards,
Kristine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia