Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 PM

43 posts, read 115,621 times

Advertisements

It is nuts! I talked to his guidance counselor yesterday about his options and she said he had to start at a 2 yr college. She said he could spend one year at our local community college and then try to get a football scholarship at a 4-yr university, but the problem with that is there will be plenty of high school seniors to fill those spots and if he doesn't go out there and kick all year and have the coach vouching for you and sending off highlight film of you, well, you are basically out of luck. I have to spend $125 to get a highlight film made of him---if I am going to spend the money, I need to know if it's worth our while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:03 AM

80 posts, read 351,767 times
Have you talked to 4-year colleges? It seems he should be applying to 4-year colleges if that's where he wants to go, and applying for football scholarships if that's what he's shooting for, and then see who accepts. I'm really frustrated that you're listening to the HS people who are telling you that what HE wants isn't possible. At least try!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM

214 posts, read 595,372 times
throwing in my .02, what about online options? i had a similar track issue with my daughter, now in 9th, and pulled her out to homeschool her to prevent these people from limiting her. she gets her math and AP courses from the state's online school, and she can take a full year in one semester, catching her up. she's one of those 2-3 years ahead in other areas, one behind in math kids. I talked to the reps of the CA schools she wants to go to to determine how to best make her competitive.

I can't tell you how much misinformation high school employees have given out. Get it straight from the horse's mouth - don't let him waste any time, especially a full year. Apply everywhere he wants to go - he may very well get accepted into a good 4 year school, and they add a provision about him taking an additional math the summer before or a similar arrangement.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:34 AM

43 posts, read 115,621 times
Thanks---I will call a local university tomorrow to see what they say. I know when our oldest applied there they accepted his 8th grade algebra as one of his math requirements. We have looked at several 4-yr colleges that he is interested in and all of them want 4 yrs of math, and one must be above algebra II level and he hasn't even had algebra II. I will call and see what people say---maybe he can take a class in the summer to catch up. Math is something he does struggle in---not at the level of a learning disability, but it's just not his strong point, like me. I can write you a thesis, a term paper, a book report, but don't ask me to do any math higher than 7th grade---it just isn't going to happen. Thanks again!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,580 times
All this talk about going to school makes me want to get a degree.. but i am alittle to old..and enjoyiing my retired way of life now.. but for u young bucks, specially the ones in the military.. you should registary with college for heroes, they helped 2 of my son's find good schools. Anyway I hope it helps someone else college-4-heroes.tk

Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 570 times
If i join the army can i attend georgia military college and be able to play football
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia