Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 10,709 times

Advertisements

Considering buying a house in Rockmart GA, lived in GA before (SW of ATL) but don't know much about that area, seems very small town and rural. How's shopping? I have a son and daughter finishing up high school, any info about schools appreciated. Not too concerned about commute times for work as I work from home but do want to know if there is shopping and other amenities fairly close by. Any info greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
If you look at the city data page for Rockmart ( http://www.city-data.com/city/Rockmart-Georgia.html ), there are three pics that I took of the downtown area which pretty much sums up much of it. There's a bit more you can't see in the pics, and they are trying to get businesses to move back into the downtown and are fixing it up. Whether or not it'll become a trendy touristy town type of thing I dunno, but it does look like they're making some progress. There's a neat little park downtown that connects to the Silver Comet Trail that goes all the way nearly into Atlanta, and once completed (someday) will stretch from Birmingham Alabama to downtown Atlanta. People use it to hike, bike, and jog, etc.

Along Hwy 278 just outside of downtown they're building a super Wal-mart and as usual, wherever they build one of those things then lots of other stuff builds up around it soon after (whether it's stuff you want is your decision, but lots of cookie-cutter chain stores). So if Wal-mart is "shopping" to you then it's fine - if Macy's is your idea of shopping, then no, Rockmart has nothing like that.

I always have a couple of people who jump my butt when I use the word "redneck" but the further out you get the more you run into it and that's just reality down here. There are tons of nice "country folks" out that way but yes, some rednecks too. So just be prepared if you eat out that you'll see whole families in hunting camouflage clothes talking about how many things they killed that day sitting right next to people in tennis outfits talking about trading stocks (as in a real mix of folks since some are city folks moving out there to get away from the city, etc). Not much for some, but a culture shock for others - depends on who you are. I've never met anyone from out that way that was scary bad, but I've had two separate people work on my house that came out from that way and I did have the raised eyebrow impression of, "Um, and you completed WHAT grade in school??" - but you can find that anywhere, too.

Note there is no public transit in Rockmart. The teens will have to be drivers to get around, etc.

Overall it's kinda sleepy but not a horrible place. I once considered buying a place out there until the guy selling it said, "Oh and here's the tornado cellar... gosh dang it, we've just about had 5 of those things hit the house so I figured I had to build one". Ohhhkay. I declined. LOL. So look for a house with a BASEMENT. ;-)

Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
I live just outside of Rockmart. Wal-Mart is opening its SuperCenter in, I believe in July. There is rumour that Kroger had been checking lands in Rockmart. You are within minutes away from the bigger cities (Dallas, Cedartown, Rome and Cartersville.)

Rockmart may be a redneck town, but I have found the people to be very friendly-- what I mean is that whenever I go to the store, they say hello, how are you, etc. They are a bit concerned about the growth coming in from Atlanta and nearby counties.

If interested, I can send you the link to a very-friendly forum privately that you could ask the local residents questions and stuff like that.

-Brian

Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,554 times
I have lived in Smyrna, Dunwoody, Hiram, Lilburn, California, Maryland, and Ill. I can tell you that I just recently bought a house in Rockmart. In most of the towns I have lived in, except Dunwoody, I have encountered rednecks... giving we share the same definition. Rockmart has their share but, it is a town with hidden treasures. You must get to know the local business owners and churchgoers. They are usually the educated ones. It was a hard move for me but my grandmother lives here and I like my neighbors and every now and then, they have something going on that is alot of fun. The neighborhoods to look for are the ones that are established and have people living in them that have careers. Mine has 4 teachers, the local pharmacist, and youth group leader at a local church. But it is not a cookie cutter subdivision.
Good luck,
Robin of Rockmart

Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You are within minutes away from the bigger cities (Dallas, Cedartown, Rome and Cartersville.)-Brian
Sorry, Brian, I just have to laugh! I know those places have grown since I used to drive through on my way home to Alabama from Atlanta, but I don't think they're all that big still!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You are within minutes away from the bigger cities (Dallas, Cedartown, Rome and Cartersville.)
Wow... those are "cities"?

More like smaller Mayberry-ish type towns, but they're still nice places to visit or stop at to check out local shops. Regardless, if you live in Rockmart it's not that far of a drive to the city of Atlanta, if you need to go there for any reason. (about an hour and 15 minutes in "average" traffic).

Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 10,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlooking123 View Post
Considering buying a house in Rockmart GA, lived in GA before (SW of ATL) but don't know much about that area, seems very small town and rural. How's shopping? I have a son and daughter finishing up high school, any info about schools appreciated. Not too concerned about commute times for work as I work from home but do want to know if there is shopping and other amenities fairly close by. Any info greatly appreciated!
We moved to Rockmart from Florida in 2002. You will find it a very pleasant area to live. As far as "Rednecks" go, I have never lived anywhere that I didn't come across such a person. Rockmart is changing due to new businesses and revitalization. When the new Walmart is completed I am sure we will see an influx of new businesses. For "big time" shopping Hiram, Cartersville, Rome, Douglasville, etc. are only 20-30 mins. away. For even better shopping Town Center and the Avenues in Cobb are only a few minutes more. As far as weather, I have lived here 5 years and never experienced a tornado. I am not saying they don't occur here, but they do occur most everywhere. One of the most enjoyable characteristics of Rockmart is the traffic. So far, it is great. The people are friendly and always (in my experience) willing to be of assistance. I have found just about anything I need here from dog groomers to hair salons and they are more reasonable than in the "big city". If you choose to go to Atlanta for entertainment, its not a bad drive at all. It's also pretty quiet here on the Rock. I live up on a mountain and the most noise I usually here is a train or a dog barking.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM

75 posts, read 381,997 times
Default hey

Try Dallas , Just south of rockmart a small town with a lot of convenient shopping on one side of town and plenty of country living on the other!!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 34,552 times
Default schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlooking123 View Post
I would highly recommend you DO NOT put your children in this area. The schools systems lack horribly and the county is eaten up with METH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia