Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Imagine the huge cost to build, operate, and maintain. Imagine that no one has a clear understanding of the need or the potential ridership. You don't build these kinds of infrastructure projects to serve a few people or because it's cool.

If we have valid statistics that show a need for rail between Atlanta and Savannah, at a reasonable capital cost per mile with an operating cost that can be met from fares, then I'm all for it. My perception is that it's mostly fantasy and less reality.
I do not have to imagine the huge cost,to build,maintain and operate anything.We have roads that are packed.Bridges in need of repair but instead using patches and ban-aids.Yet the DOT still manages to be broke.I mean really how many roads is too many?Apparently in Georgia none are enough.The main thing is that we are too dependent on oil.Why continue to make ourselves so vulnerable to these oil rich nations?Its not about now its about our future.Infrastructure has made every empire great.Its when we stop being innovative and progressive do we just drift away into obscurity.

I don't think that the returns will come that fast.It of course would take several years.Maybe as much as 20.I do know that they were saying the same thing about MARTA before they built it.I mean this was in 1970n a city of less than 400,000.I think we would agree that today,(regardless if you ride or not)that the fact that Atlanta has it,is part of the reason Atlanta stands out among the rest.I know of NO progressive cities that do not have made difficult decisions in the past,that are not reaping the benefits today.The larger the risk,usually it pays off.

A "few people" at first might only ride it.However I do think business from all over would be willing to pick Georgia more than any state just based on the fact that such a system could exist where no other state does.

If you want FACTS then the real fact is that business that have considered Atlanta changed their minds or at least have put serious thought into whether to locate anywhere near Atlanta from Macon to Chattanooga due to traffic being so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I do not have to imagine the huge cost,to build,maintain and operate anything.We have roads that are packed.Bridges in need of repair but instead using patches and ban-aids.Yet the DOT still manages to be broke.I mean really how many roads is too many?Apparently in Georgia none are enough.The main thing is that we are too dependent on oil.Why continue to make ourselves so vulnerable to these oil rich nations?Its not about now its about our future.Infrastructure has made every empire great.Its when we stop being innovative and progressive do we just drift away into obscurity.

I don't think that the returns will come that fast.It of course would take several years.Maybe as much as 20.I do know that they were saying the same thing about MARTA before they built it.I mean this was in 1970n a city of less than 400,000.I think we would agree that today,(regardless if you ride or not)that the fact that Atlanta has it,is part of the reason Atlanta stands out among the rest.I know of NO progressive cities that do not have made difficult decisions in the past,that are not reaping the benefits today.The larger the risk,usually it pays off.

A "few people" at first might only ride it.However I do think business from all over would be willing to pick Georgia more than any state just based on the fact that such a system could exist where no other state does.

If you want FACTS then the real fact is that business that have considered Atlanta changed their minds or at least have put serious thought into whether to locate anywhere near Atlanta from Macon to Chattanooga due to traffic being so bad.
Nice speech, but you've not given a shred of real fact or evidence to show that we need a high speed train to Macon and Savannah, or that ridership would support it, or what the cost to build, ride, or operate it would be.

People on this forum love to toss around these grand visions, but where are the facts? What will it cost? How long wil it take to build? What is the estimated ridership? What is the opportunity cost for other projects and alternatives?

Hopeful feelings and visions are great, but they don't address the facts.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Im not sure if I am understanding you correctly.If you are saying that the rest of the state does not benefit greatly from the presence of Atlanta(and its success),then I think you like many other south Georgians are dead wrong.
well, i thought saying "here, our, us . . etc. . ." and the fact that I list i'm in valdosta would make it obvious what i was talking about . .

atlanta has nothing to do with the success in valdosta. businesses moving here looking for transport access utilize our proximity to i-75 & i-10, and the ports & airports of jacksonville, fl.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
well, i thought saying "here, our, us . . etc. . ." and the fact that I list i'm in valdosta would make it obvious what i was talking about . .

atlanta has nothing to do with the success in valdosta. businesses moving here looking for transport access utilize our proximity to i-75 & i-10, and the ports & airports of jacksonville, fl.
NOTHING?Nothing at ALL?So you think Valdosta is successful?Or is it just doing what should be done and just grow and not to stagger or loose population and business.Could it not be much more than it is?There are at least a hundred other towns in Georgia alone that are doing just as well or better on different levels based on their size,locations and other factors that either limit or advance their growth.Valdosta is the "least popular twin brother" of Warner Robins..GO DEMONS!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Nice speech, but you've not given a shred of real fact or evidence to show that we need a high speed train to Macon and Savannah, or that ridership would support it, or what the cost to build, ride, or operate it would be.

People on this forum love to toss around these grand visions, but where are the facts? What will it cost? How long wil it take to build? What is the estimated ridership? What is the opportunity cost for other projects and alternatives?

Hopeful feelings and visions are great, but they don't address the facts.
Actually they have plenty of studies out.Here is one of the most publicized one.http://http://www.sehsr.org/ (broken link).But I'm sure you already knew that.Noticed how expect me to give you the info to defend what I believe yet you give nothing but negative input against what I have to say without info to back your own claims!

Sometimes it does not take a study to see what needs to be done.Yes there are people with a pie in the sky attitude.They are usually called "visionaries".Most of America came to be great because of our ability to embrace the future.Name a city or a country that has rail high speed rail or a heavy network of rail systems that link their cities and country together that is not either emerging or highly successful..If you should happen to find one im sure I can easily find double or more than the ones you might find.

Yes it may be a nice speech.But you may have noticed how all our Southern neighbors are embracing it more and have began the process of actually trying to implement such a project.How does Georgia look when all over the papers this is flashed: More federal transit money bypasses Georgia *| ajc.com
Does this not embarrass you as a Gerogian?
Quote:
February 2010 :: In an historic move, key transportation leaders from Alabama, Florida, North and South Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee voted on January 25 to form the Southeast High Speed Rail Coalition to accelerate high speed and intercity rail connectivity in the region.

ALABAMA?SOUTH CAROLINA?Are you for real?

Go ahead label me all you want.All i'm saying is that we better watch out or we are gonna be left behind.

GO ROY BARNES FOR GOVERNOR!!!!!!!

Last edited by afonega1; 02-28-2010 at 05:42 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
NOTHING?Nothing at ALL?So you think Valdosta is successful?Or is it just doing what should be done and just grow and not to stagger or loose population and business.Could it not be much more than it is?There are at least a hundred other towns in Georgia alone that are doing just as well or better on different levels based on their size,locations and other factors that either limit or advance their growth.Valdosta is the "least popular twin brother" of Warner Robins..GO DEMONS!!!
considering the state of affairs in our state and country, valdosta is doing very well.

name a hundred towns doing better than valdosta.

atlanta has nothing to do with what's going on down here.

and what does warner robins have to do with anything?

Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
considering the state of affairs in our state and country, valdosta is doing very well.

name a hundred towns doing better than valdosta.

atlanta has nothing to do with what's going on down here.

and what does warner robins have to do with anything?
Im sorry if you wanna take me literal as i'm not gonna sit here an recite what you can easily obtain for yourself if you choose to believe otherwise.

You understand that Valdosta (like Warner Robins;OR EVEN LIKE D.C.)is doing mainly well because of the Air Force Base.Any city with such a built in "government backed" infrastructure is gonna do better most of the time then the ups and downs of private enterprise.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM

199 posts, read 627,811 times
what does macon or warner robbins have to do with south Ga????

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Im sorry if you wanna take me literal as i'm not gonna sit here an recite what you can easily obtain for yourself if you choose to believe otherwise.

You understand that Valdosta (like Warner Robins;OR EVEN LIKE D.C.)is doing mainly well because of the Air Force Base.Any city with such a built in "government backed" infrastructure is gonna do better most of the time then the ups and downs of private enterprise.
the information is not readily available because it doesn't exist.

if you want to make such statements, don't be so lazy not to back it up.

yes we are lucky to have the base, but we have a lot more too.

your ignorance is really starting to show. i'd end it here if i were you.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
I think the "Two GA" issue is almost inevitable as a larger issue of urban/rural divide. It happens in most states, especially if there is only one large urban area that dwarfs the others. (that is most states) It also is due to the diverging political viewpoints of the area which is tied into the transplant issue which is a huge white elephant in the room. I am wondering what is everyone's thoughts on how people who moved in here have affected state politics. Do transplants have much power or is political power and ideology still dominated by the natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia