Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:53 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else on here get sick and tired of hearing this nonsense? I mean are people this dense to think that every where they go they will run into the Klan? News flash it's 2009 and Georigia has just as much harmony and just as much hate as anywhere else in this country. As if racism is exclusive to Georgia or the south. I know we have a history here in the south but here in Metro Atlanta you can count the numbers of natives on one hand in most parts. Point being if Georgia was such a backwards racist place would people from everypoint on the globe be flocking here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 AM

45 posts, read 111,505 times
Well georgia did passed one of the hardest immigration laws, and banning same sex marriage, and no achol on sunday, and hunting here is a consitutional right, and making english official here in the state, and next year the state is going to try to make all drivers test in english only, and alot more!!!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 AM

150 posts, read 481,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb2010 View Post
Well georgia did passed one of the hardest immigration laws, and banning same sex marriage, and no achol on sunday, and hunting here is a consitutional right, and making english official here in the state, and next year the state is going to try to make all drivers test in english only, and alot more!!!!!
They all sound like good policies. Why shouldnt all drivers test be in English?? That is our spoken language and all road signs etc are in English. Why wouldn't english be our official language it should be the official language of every one of our great states? Good sound policies.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
I believe that immigrants here should learn to speak English but passing English only laws can be intolerant and insensitive to immigrants who are still learning the language not to mention it creates a hostile envorinment for them. If immigrants no longer want to move to Georgia then our economic growth will suffer

Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
What does any of that have to do with racism or the Klan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
They all sound like good policies. Why shouldnt all drivers test be in English?? That is our spoken language and all road signs etc are in English. Why wouldn't english be our official language it should be the official language of every one of our great states? Good sound policies.
I think I agree with you completely.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Those policies represent the will of the voting electorate in this great state except for the no alcohol on Sunday law which I think is absolutely stupid since nearly 80% registered votes want it overturned. Once Purdue is out of office I think it will be overturned.

Now as far as English only policies that is a direct result of the average Georgians frustrations with our broken immigration policies. I for one am all for making life as uncomfortable as possible for ALL illegals regardless of their race of ethnicity!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Atlanta is a huge magnet for refugees- LEGAL immigrants who often do not speak English. Not to mention the families of legal residents who may or may not speak English and are trying to learn. Making life uncomfortable for illegals also means making life very uncomfortable to those who we want to come.

In any case, it wasn't that long ago that I was tormented in school for my faith. While the KKK last attacked my home and family in the early 90s, the attitudes are still alive and well in many parts of the Atlanta metro. Citing the year is meaningless.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:21 PM

45 posts, read 111,505 times
A new immigration law that will cut off all public benifits to iliegal immigrants will take effect jan 1 2010.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Making life uncomfortable for illegals also means making life very uncomfortable to those who we want to come.
And you base that on what? Your extensive research?

One group (LEGAL immigrants) do things the right way and fill out the forms and stand in the lines and wait their turn. My mother was a LEGAL immigrant.

The other group (ILLEGAL ALIENS) breaks our laws and drains from our economy. By definition they are criminals.

To say that enforcing our laws will somehow make it "uncomfortable" for legal immigrants is like saying that enforcing our laws that prohibit burglary and larceny will make it uncomfortable for people who earn a living legally. You're not making any common sense.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And you base that on what? Your extensive research?

One group (LEGAL immigrants) do things the right way and fill out the forms and stand in the lines and wait their turn. My mother was a LEGAL immigrant.

The other group (ILLEGAL ALIENS) breaks our laws and drains from our economy. By definition they are criminals.

To say that enforcing our laws will somehow make it "uncomfortable" for legal immigrants is like saying that enforcing our laws that prohibit burglary and larceny will make it uncomfortable for people who earn a living legally. You're not making any common sense.
Excellent post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia