Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times

Advertisements

Richest billionaires in Michigan call Grand Rapids home | MLive.com

I don't think this is a secret. The new Forbes list of billionares came out, the Meijers and Rich Devos take the top spots for the state. The Meijer fortune is considered one, so the two brothers are counted together. Technically it would be the three richest people when that's considered. If Jay Van Andel were still alive it'd be the 4 richest, I know the Van Andel fortune is split among the many Van Andel offspring which probably takes them off the list.

The Devos's have a long tradition of being active in Grand Rapids future. That seems to be continuing among the generations. Fred Meijer was a noted philanthropist, I have not heard much about his sons. But with the amount of wealth they have, and the fact that it's growing rapidly, I would hope they would continue the tradition started by their father. I also believe the Van Andels are active in the local development scene but they are much more private than the Devos's so I dont know the extent to which they might be.

Love or hate these people I believe they have played a huge role in positioning Grand Rapids for the level of momentum the city and region are experiencing. Not many cities/metro areas this size have such deep pockets to assist them in revitalization the way we have seen in GR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Richest billionaires in Michigan call Grand Rapids home | MLive.com

I don't think this is a secret. The new Forbes list of billionares came out, the Meijers and Rich Devos take the top spots for the state. The Meijer fortune is considered one, so the two brothers are counted together. Technically it would be the three richest people when that's considered. If Jay Van Andel were still alive it'd be the 4 richest, I know the Van Andel fortune is split among the many Van Andel offspring which probably takes them off the list.

The Devos's have a long tradition of being active in Grand Rapids future. That seems to be continuing among the generations. Fred Meijer was a noted philanthropist, I have not heard much about his sons. But with the amount of wealth they have, and the fact that it's growing rapidly, I would hope they would continue the tradition started by their father. I also believe the Van Andels are active in the local development scene but they are much more private than the Devos's so I dont know the extent to which they might be.

Love or hate these people I believe they have played a huge role in positioning Grand Rapids for the level of momentum the city and region are experiencing. Not many cities/metro areas this size have such deep pockets to assist them in revitalization the way we have seen in GR.

It would be nice if the Meijers invested in Downtown to the degree of Van Andel/Devos in GR or Illitch and Gilbert recently in Detroit. I do give them kudos for opening up a store in Detroit, however, but I think Fred Meijer made that decision and the sons carried it to fruition.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:58 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It would be nice if the Meijers invested in Downtown to the degree of Van Andel/Devos in GR or Illitch and Gilbert recently in Detroit. I do give them kudos for opening up a store in Detroit, however, but I think Fred Meijer made that decision and the sons carried it to fruition.
The Meijers have done some investing in downtown, including the Lemmon Holton Cancer Center (Fred Meijer didnt' want his name on it and named it after two of his favorite long time workers) and they've given to build the Art Museum and give a lot of money to the Symphony and other institutions. They just don't advertise as much.

Their investments in the massive trail systems throughout West Michigan are enormous. And the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park is getting huge, with the new Japanese Garden opening next year.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The Meijers have done some investing in downtown, including the Lemmon Holton Cancer Center (Fred Meijer didnt' want his name on it and named it after two of his favorite long time workers) and they've given to build the Art Museum and give a lot of money to the Symphony and other institutions. They just don't advertise as much.

Their investments in the massive trail systems throughout West Michigan are enormous. And the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park is getting huge, with the new Japanese Garden opening next year.
Absolutely they have given. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that all that philanthropy was at the behest of Fred. Since his passing it seems all has been quiet on the Meijer front. My impression has been that the sons may not be interested in continuing the family legacy in the same manner.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,953 times
After Fred's passing I was reading a list, I forget which magazine, of billionaires and I was kind of surprised to see Fred's name so high on the list.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:

I think what Gilbert and Illitch are doing in Detroit and what the Devos/Van Andles have done in Grand Rapids is what the Meijers should do more of in Grand Rapids. However, you have to have a vision of making a city a world class city....or at least a competitive city that can attract and keep the best and brightest. That signal is usually sent through what's happening in an areas downtown. They, the Meijers, could create a signature building or skyscraper and move its employees downtown....kind of like what Gilbert is doing and his his future plans for the Hudson block.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:59 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think what Gilbert and Illitch are doing in Detroit and what the Devos/Van Andles have done in Grand Rapids is what the Meijers should do more of in Grand Rapids. However, you have to have a vision of making a city a world class city....or at least a competitive city that can attract and keep the best and brightest. That signal is usually sent through what's happening in an areas downtown. They, the Meijers, could create a signature building or skyscraper and move its employees downtown....kind of like what Gilbert is doing and his his future plans for the Hudson block.
True, but I don't really think it's their style. And they just invested a ton of money into turning one of their massive distribution facilities in Walker into a pretty sweet addition to their corporate headquarters. Plus, Illitch and Gilbert own a ton of property in downtown Detroit, that they picked up pretty cheap, and they have a ton of enemies in Detroit. There's not much cheap property left in downtown GR. The parking ramp alone for HQ employees would probably run you $15,000,000 just for 500 workers. Then the building would be another $70 - $100 Million. Then the land will run you $5 Million an acre. For a company that makes 5 pennies on the dollar in the cut throat grocery business, I don't see it. It's why Walmart isn't in downtown Bentonville either.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 AM

Well Walmarts presence alone puts Bentonville on the map. NW Arkansas is a little cosmopolitan oasis having amenities areas of like size could only dream of, because of Walmart and the support industries that have located there. Also it has more of a quaint downtown than a CBD where you'd find corporate headquarters and stuff.

You bring up something that has been discussed before, still it's been on my mind lately. How does Grand Rapids compare to cities of like size when it comes to corporate presence? The area actually have quite a few big ones.

Meijer $15 billion +
Amway $10 billion +
Gordon Foods $10 Billion +
Spartan Nash $8 Billion
Perrigo $4 Billion
Steelcase $3.5 Billion
UFP $2 Bilion
Wolverine World Wide ($2-$4 Billion?)
Bissell ($?)

The top 3 are privately held so they don't end up on the Fortune 500. All of these companies have suburban fortresses (Perrigo is in Allegan, Technically Steelcase is at 44th and Eastern while in the city barely.) I know a few of them have a ceremonial presence downtown in the form of Grid70. I've always felt if even one of the big area firms brought a coporate presence downtown it'd be a huge shot in the arm for the city. Incentive for more downtown residents, retail, increased vibrancy although downtown GR is pretty vibrant already. It could be the catalyst to put GR in that next tier and increase revenues to the city.

I also know there is very little financial incentive for companies to do this, and that it would automatically cause employees to pay city income tax if they didn't live in the city. Most of these companies are strategically placed outside of the municipalities that collect local income tax with the noted exception being Meijer in Walker. I also know that this would place a strain on downtown infrastructure if there were instantly hundreds/thousands more people working downtown.

Anyone have thoughts? Could it ever happen?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well Walmarts presence alone puts Bentonville on the map. NW Arkansas is a little cosmopolitan oasis having amenities areas of like size could only dream of, because of Walmart and the support industries that have located there. Also it has more of a quaint downtown than a CBD where you'd find corporate headquarters and stuff.

You bring up something that has been discussed before, still it's been on my mind lately. How does Grand Rapids compare to cities of like size when it comes to corporate presence? The area actually have quite a few big ones.

Meijer $15 billion +
Amway $10 billion +
Gordon Foods $10 Billion +
Spartan Nash $8 Billion
Perrigo $4 Billion
Steelcase $3.5 Billion
UFP $2 Bilion
Wolverine World Wide ($2-$4 Billion?)
Bissell ($?)

The top 3 are privately held so they don't end up on the Fortune 500. All of these companies have suburban fortresses (Perrigo is in Allegan, Technically Steelcase is at 44th and Eastern while in the city barely.) I know a few of them have a ceremonial presence downtown in the form of Grid70. I've always felt if even one of the big area firms brought a coporate presence downtown it'd be a huge shot in the arm for the city. Incentive for more downtown residents, retail, increased vibrancy although downtown GR is pretty vibrant already. It could be the catalyst to put GR in that next tier and increase revenues to the city.

I also know there is very little financial incentive for companies to do this, and that it would automatically cause employees to pay city income tax if they didn't live in the city. Most of these companies are strategically placed outside of the municipalities that collect local income tax with the noted exception being Meijer in Walker. I also know that this would place a strain on downtown infrastructure if there were instantly hundreds/thousands more people working downtown.

Anyone have thoughts? Could it ever happen?
It could happen and I think it should happen. It is becoming evident, based upon trends, that the best and brightest 24 -35 years old demographic is increasingly desiring an urban setting to work and live. Those suburban offices were the thing for 24- 35 year olds.....30 years ago, but as baby boomers start to retire from these corporations a new more urban demographic will increasingly gravitate towards taking offers at companies that are in cities that offer a vibrant downtown for work, play and to live.

Companies and cities need to realize that they have a symbiotic relationship. By investing in a city, companies can make the cities more attractive to potential recruits to their companies. By creating a vibrant core for work, entertainment, culture and living, it makes it easy to attract millennials. Capitalism is about GROWTH. Cities need to about growth to maximize capitalism and economic opportunity. You need population growth to fuel new workers and consumers or it becomes a zero sum game. Many Michigan cities had no vision to be anything Grand or on a world scale. They were content to just be working class and hence it was easy to abandon a city like Detroit because in abandoning the city the corporate and political entities were not abandoning a dream or vision for the future.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
True, but I don't really think it's their style. And they just invested a ton of money into turning one of their massive distribution facilities in Walker into a pretty sweet addition to their corporate headquarters. Plus, Illitch and Gilbert own a ton of property in downtown Detroit, that they picked up pretty cheap, and they have a ton of enemies in Detroit. There's not much cheap property left in downtown GR. The parking ramp alone for HQ employees would probably run you $15,000,000 just for 500 workers. Then the building would be another $70 - $100 Million. Then the land will run you $5 Million an acre. For a company that makes 5 pennies on the dollar in the cut throat grocery business, I don't see it. It's why Walmart isn't in downtown Bentonville either.
5 pennies on the dollar when revenue is in the billions is pretty good. Its a volume business. They definitely could afford to do it and leverage the risk. That is how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area