Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 12,249 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job in Grand Rapids and plan to make a trip to the area next week. My wife and I would like to look at several different housing options. Perhaps someone can provide feedback on the areas (cities, towns or neighborhoods) we should focus our attention.

1. High-end neighborhoods, gated communities, treed lots, acreage if possible, etc.

2. More rural, small town feel, acreage, nice older homes

3. Lake or waterfront property, higher end homes, new or older construction

4. Farm (horse perhaps) property, nice house, possible commute, large acreage, maybe stream or lake, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and would make our trip that much more productive.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:06 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Caledonia or Ada Township or Lowell

Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Caledonia or Ada Township or Lowell
I could be mistaken, but I think there is only one gated community in Caledonia.

I'd look at the following areas:

Gated:
) Grand Rapids Township, Ada Township and Cascade Township, anywhere from East Beltline and Knapp East to McCabe, South through Ada and Cascade Twp down to 28th. There are a slew of gated rural/suburban neighborhoods in that area: Catamount, Darby Farms, Treebrook, Highlands, Terra Sienna, Montreaux, The Ridge, The Preserve, Mountain Ridge, Highgrove, Skyevale, Manchester Hills (Cascade), Tall Pines, Tammarron North, just to name a few. Most are built out but you might find some resales now. Forest Hills Schools. Zip codes 49301 and 49525, priced anywhere from $500K and up. Downtown Ada will give you that small town, upscale feel. A lot of horse ranches scattered throughout the countryside, with a few riding clubs.

ada, michigan - Google Maps

Waterfront:
) Thornapple River frontage in Cascade Township. This could be along Thornapple River Drive, Thornhills Drive or Cascade Road. Hard to come by. You'll need the help of a good buyer's agent.
) Reeds Lake or Fiske Lake in East Grand Rapids. Again, hard to come by. EGR has a nice small town feel and great mix of housing prices and great schools. Plymouth Avenue, Robinson Road and San Lu Rae areas are the most prestigious, with many historic mansions. Think John Hughes movie sets (Home Alone, Sixteen Candles, Planes Trains Automobiles, etc.)
) Silver Lake, Myers Lake, Bostwick Lake in Rockford
) Lake Macatawa or Lake Michigan frontage in Holland; Lake Michigan or Spring Lake frontage in Grand Haven/Fruitport/Spring Lake. Amazingly beautiful areas, with a heavily boat-centered lifestyle, but busy in the Summer. Longer commute to GR.

Small "Hobby" Farm
) Ada, Lowell, Caledonia, Rockford.

Hopefully this gives you just some ideas. If you're not working with a relo company through your new employer, I strongly suggest hiring one to help narrow down what you are looking for. The options are pretty good, but there are some lemons out there.

Welcome to GR sjletts and I hope the move goes well!

Last edited by magellan; 01-24-2008 at 09:28 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 08:39 AM

Thanks so much for the input. We'll be sure to focus on these areas. We'll also be certain to secure a good broker. Thanks again.

Any other input is appreciated.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 PM

218 posts, read 508,083 times
I see that you are finding a realtor, that would have been my advice.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM

24 posts, read 103,487 times
Grand Haven,Spring Lake-Nice waterfront homes and condos not far from GR

Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM

Again, thanks to all for the responses.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:39 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,020 times
magellen gave an accurate desciption of the Ada/Cascade area. I live in Ada and my kids attend Forest Hills schools.

There are about 4 homes for sale on Cascade Rd with Thornapple River frontage. I live near by it.

Good luck on your move to GR!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM

845 posts, read 3,272,099 times
I live in East Grand Rapids. You won't get acreage here, and there are no gated communities...but the entire "Gated Community" thing is less popular in Michigan than other areas I've traveled (north east, south east USA primarily).

There's a 10k sq. ft. mansion going up for auction on Reeds Lake in a few weeks.

In times of real estate strength, it'd be worth $2M-$3M. It's listed at $7.7M which is an utter joke. I have no idea what it'll sell for, but if you're carrying around a wad of money looking for a high-end residence, your neighbors would be living in homes worth just as much as you. Take a drive down Bonnell Ave when you visit. Those are the most expensive homes in EGR.

Here's some more info: Masterbid, Inc. - Real Estate Auction - 2905 Bonnell Street, East Grand Rapids, MI 49506 (http://masterbidinc.com/auctions/2905_Bonnell/ - broken link)

If they took off a couple zeros, I'd be in the market.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 21,460 times
hahaha, did you see the news last night that home is going up for aution Saturday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area