Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM

78 posts, read 127,307 times

Advertisements

...to favor their grandchildren, over their own kids? My maternal grandparents (father's parents passed away before I was born) have always loved the grandkids, yet have always been equally loving to their own daughters. Just a odd situation for me as my boyfriend's mom always nags him about the way he raises the kids, and is quite unkind in her general conversation to him. This is so unknown to me, how often does this happen? Is it because her son is an adult, and the kids are all minors? Am I just naive, haha?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,782,880 times
What do you mean by 'favor'?

Every grandparent I know has much more fun with their grandkids, as the pressure to raise little ones is off.
Every grandparent I know loves their grandkids as much as they love their kids.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,962,234 times
My mother was verbally and physically abusive, emotionally distant and generally rotten to me my entire life. She was a wonderful grandmother. Go figure.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM

78 posts, read 127,307 times
She just seems to have a disregarding attitude towards her own son, constantly berating him for not raising the kids they way she believes they should be raised. The tension escalated so much that they no longer speak. Also, my boyfriend is not some deadbeat, abusive, alcoholic. He is very much involved with his children, and is around them most of the time. I guess I am just not used to someone treating their son in such a way-everyone in my family is nice to each other.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,962,234 times
Grandma had her shot at raising kids when she raised your boyfriend. It's time for her to step back and let her son raise his in his own way. Criticism and disapproval are tough to deal with...just be supportive of your bf and be thankful your family isn't like that.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,170,601 times
I've heard this before. It's like the grandparents realize they weren't such good parents but it's not too late to be good grandparents. Also being a kind generous grandparent is a lot easier than being a kind generous parent 24/7 so grandkids don't see the real personalities.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:01 PM

63 posts, read 63,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've heard this before. It's like the grandparents realize they weren't such good parents but it's not too late to be good grandparents. Also being a kind generous grandparent is a lot easier than being a kind generous parent 24/7 so grandkids don't see the real personalities.
I'd say yep to all the above.

1) People mellow with age.

2) It's a lot easier to be nice in 3 hour stints where all you have to do is play, than to be a 24/7 source of support and guidance.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times
You know what they say - "Grandparents and grandkids get along so well because they have a common enemy."

That's a bit over the top, but it has an element of truth! Grandparent/grandchild relationships are usually less pressurized than parent/child relationships. Just a lot more relaxed overall.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,307,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangogh121 View Post
She just seems to have a disregarding attitude towards her own son, constantly berating him for not raising the kids they way she believes they should be raised. The tension escalated so much that they no longer speak. Also, my boyfriend is not some deadbeat, abusive, alcoholic. He is very much involved with his children, and is around them most of the time. I guess I am just not used to someone treating their son in such a way-everyone in my family is nice to each other.
I think your boyfriend needs to remind his mom just who it was raised him...when she berates him, he needs to say..."OK mom, but I learned it from you"....It's not common..at all..I would never DARE criticize the way my children raise my grandchildren...mostly because I want them to feel proud, and happy when I'm around.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
Your BF and his mom have probably been in a toxic relationship for years. You will not be able to change it. If he wants to have a better relationship with his mom, he will have to initiate it. Maybe he goes to counseling to find out ways to deal with his mom. Maybe they both go to counseling. He can cut off all ties, and that is a punishment for both of them.

It is not unusual for adult children to not get along with their parents. This probably reflects years of difficulties between parents and offspring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents