Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

this came up at book club a couple of days ago ? One of the ladies who is a grandma said she had a problem with her daughter in law posting pictures of her little grand daughters with no clothes on and just panties on . She said that she told her daughter in law that perverts and child molestors can see those little girls and she did not think it was appropriate . Well the daughter in law said grandma was being silly and she only shared her pictures on fb with friends and family . Grandma still does not think it is right . I kind of see grandma's point . What do the rest of you say ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
I'm a mother of two and I never took any photographs of my children that they would be embarrassed to show their future teachers/professors, future bosses, future spouse/MIL/FIL, or future children. And these were actual paper photographs.

This is even more important when everything put on the internet stays in circulation forever. I am told that it is fairly easy to "unblock" closed Facebook posts if you know what you are doing. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that pedophiles regularly troll Facebook looking specifically for photographs like that naïve mother is posting. And, sad to say, it is possible that pedophiles and perverts are "enjoying" and sharing those photographs right this very minute.

BTW pedophiles are "friends and family" to people as well. How does this mother know for sure that her cousin (and her cousin's room mate and her cousin's room mate's brother) and the next door neighbor that her sister shows the photographs to (and the next door neighbor's skeevy spouse) think that the photographs are just "cute" and not "sexy". Maybe her brother sent out the photographs to all of his buddies and they sent them to all of their buddies. Mom may have sent the photographs to a dozen people but maybe hundreds of people have actually viewed them.

IMHO Mom should not post any photographs on the internet that she would not want printed on the front page of her local newspaper (and reprinted on the front page 15 or 20 years from now).

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-20-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 04-20-2014, 02:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
If she already talked to her and her DIL brushed her off what more can she do? Some people are just stubborn.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this came up at book club a couple of days ago ? One of the ladies who is a grandma said she had a problem with her daughter in law posting pictures of her little grand daughters with no clothes on and just panties on . She said that she told her daughter in law that perverts and child molestors can see those little girls and she did not think it was appropriate . Well the daughter in law said grandma was being silly and she only shared her pictures on fb with friends and family . Grandma still does not think it is right . I kind of see grandma's point . What do the rest of you say ?

Grandma can report the pictures to FB; I've heard that response is swift. However, if the pictures are found to violate FB policy and taken down, the DIL is sure to start squawking "OK! WHO SNITCHED?!"

It's a judgement call.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Some people don't understand the permanency of the Internet. FB clearly states that it owns your photos and that you must go through some crazy process to have them safely store them for you. Not to mention the viruses and hackers abound on the Web. This is why I abandoned FB long ago.

Do her friends and family really NEED to see her baby in her birthday suit on FB? Some people!

I think she will regret it later, and honestly, it's not worth the grandmother's time to try and convince her otherwise. Once a fool...

Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Why would anybody be embarrassed by photos of themselves as little girls wearing just underwear?

There's nothing to look at, it's not sexual, little kids don't always have to be fully dressed and you can't run your life in fear of what some persons with nefarious intentions that you'll never meet may or may not do.

If the DIL isn't worried then why should the grandma be? The odds that anyone is going to use your photo on a billboard 20 years from now is slim to none.

If your employer 20 years from now takes exception to the photos your mom took when you were three in your undies then that's not someone you want to work for.

Yes you can be cautious but a bit of perspective goes a long way.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post

I would say Grandma voiced her opinion and now it is time to leave it alone and there is nothing more Grandma can do anyway. It is the children's parents choice what to post and photograph.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Say something once (to your son, not DIL), and then shaddup.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why would anybody be embarrassed by photos of themselves as little girls wearing just underwear?

There's nothing to look at, it's not sexual, little kids don't always have to be fully dressed and you can't run your life in fear of what some persons with nefarious intentions that you'll never meet may or may not do.

If the DIL isn't worried then why should the grandma be? The odds that anyone is going to use your photo on a billboard 20 years from now is slim to none.

If your employer 20 years from now takes exception to the photos your mom took when you were three in your undies then that's not someone you want to work for.

Yes you can be cautious but a bit of perspective goes a long way.
I am a rather private person and ,yes, I would be very embarrassed if my co-workers, my boss, my professors, my neighbors and the general population saw pictures of me as a little girl just wearing underwear. (Or pictures of me today in just my underwear.) And there are many other people just like me. Of course, I don't need to be embarrassed because my parents never took photographs like that.

And even if they did those photographs were paper photographs in a photo album.
It is so different today when things are posted on the internet and stay in circulation forever. Instead of a few close friends and family seeing the photo album, dozens/hundred/thousands/millions of strangers can see everything posted on the internet. For 99% of those viewers those photographs are just cute pictures of kids. But do you want that 1% (or whatever it is) masturbating over a picture of you or your daughter or granddaughter? Frankly, I don't want to take that risk.

FinsterRufus, I think that this is an issue where we will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-23-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Say something once (to your son, not DIL), and then shaddup.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents