Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 21,658 times

Advertisements

They wake up, get into everything they can, the fridge the pantry and completely destroy the house because they know their mother is asleep. She pulls 16 hour shifts and barely gets any sleep because the 2 year old wakes up before she even pulls in the driveway (seemingly sensing her presence) and stays up all night refusing to lay down. And they wake up early, no matter how late they go to sleep or if they don't nap mid-day and DESTROY EVERYTHING THEY KNOW THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE. What to do????? I'm just the live in nanny. What can we do to break them of this bad behavior? Has anyone else dealt with this? Please in desperate need of help. So tired of waking up to a destroyed house, this morning the 4 year old spread pancake mix all around his room, the 2 year old spread mustard all over the dining room. HELP HELP HELP this isn't even the half of it sometimes it's 5 times worse!!!

Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
As the live-in Nanny, isn't it expected of you that you keep the same hours as the children? When they are up, you should be too, supervising them.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
As the live-in Nanny, isn't it expected of you that you keep the same hours as the children? When they are up, you should be too, supervising them.
That was my first thought too, also, are you a nanny and a grandparent?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:10 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
When the 2 year old is up, an adult needs to be up.

What are you all doing to break the 2-year-old of this habit of not sleeping at night?

Old 10-02-2014, 04:47 PM

It's my job to watch them when she's working. It's the days she is off that I take my break... and the house is destroyed.

Didn't mean to post this in grandparents, but I didn't see it as a bad thing i figured grandparents would have more experience.

The 2 year old usually sleeps with the mom I don't really have much say other than what I suggest :/ When she works 16 hours I'm up at 6 and I keep the house from being destroyed.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:55 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Nothing is going to help except supervision. A 2 and 4 year old shouldn't be given free range while the adults are sleeping. How that happens is up to you and your employer to work out.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:56 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
The mother needs parenting lessons. Find another job because the mother doesn't have a clue that what she is doing is not in the best interest of the child. Keep in mind that if you are in the house, even though you are "off duty", being aware of the situation and something happening that requires CPS to come in and investigate that you may be putting yourself in a legally uncomfortable position. Something bad is going to happen, someone hurt or dead leaving kids that age to roam free in the house without supervision.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:22 PM

First off, you don't know the full situation. If I'd known the people of this forum were just going to give me negative criticism instead of helpful advice I would have never posted. She's a great mother, she's just beat from working a stressful job and coming home to a toddler that wakes up in the middle of the night. So unless you have some helpful advice instead of judgemental criticism without knowing the full situation, I suggest you don't take the time out of your life to post negativity "AnywhereElse". Saying that she needs parenting lessons without even knowing her character tells me that you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Anyone have some HELPFUL advice? I sleep upstairs so I don't always hear them even though I'm a light sleeper. I'm going to start waking up every day at 6am but what I'm asking is if anyone has dealt with this type of behavior before and has anything HELPFUL to say.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Someone needs to get up when the kids get up. If she is too tired, then she needs to arrange for you or someone else to do it.

When my kids were about 5 and 3, they could get up and turn on the TV and let us sleep a while longer. They never ever did anything even close to what you describe. If they had, I obviously wouldn't have left them alone .

I suspect these kids are either crying our for attention, or that they've had so little supervision and discipline in their short lives, they don't know any better.

Does the mom do anything to try to change this? Does she punish them?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:49 PM

Yes they get in trouble, and have to clean up their mess but it doesn't seem to work. We'll keep trying. Thankyou for you for the helpful advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents