Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 08:51 PM

2,964 posts, read 1,638,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With my wife and I and our 3 kids, our daughter's 2, my sister's 3, and pretty much every other family we know, the grandkids spend far more time with their maternal grandparents. I think I also find it normal that the father goes along with the mother's wishes, when it comes to the kids. t's just natural that the mother tends to trust and depend more on her own mother, and the father's parents take a back seat. When you think about it, the mother has known her own mother all of her life, while she may have only known her -moth-in-law a few years. Often they only see the in-laws at the wedding and maybe a few holidays or birthdays. Still, it would be unfortunate if there are formal rules on when they can visit. With our daughter we can call or text any time and ask to have the boys stay overnight with us and she will bring them over. We call our son and ask when would be a good day/time to visit our granddaughter, and wouldn't think of asking to have her overnight unless they bring it up.
...but a daughter's a daughter for the rest of her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 08:25 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Interesting, my son and DIL told my ex the same thing. They weren't cutting off the relationship, just setting boundaries so they could have some private family time without him sitting on the couch every Sunday for hours.

How to deal with their decisions? Stay out of it. You don't know all the reasons why they decided this.

I think it's unfortunate that you think your son is a wuss for supporting his own wife and not doing what you think he should do. You just need to be a wonderful grandma and respect their family choices.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:47 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Interesting, my son and DIL told my ex the same thing. They weren't cutting off the relationship, just setting boundaries so they could have some private family time without him sitting on the couch every Sunday for hours.

How to deal with their decisions? Stay out of it. You don't know all the reasons why they decided this.

I think it's unfortunate that you think your son is a wuss for supporting his own wife and not doing what you think he should do. You just need to be a wonderful grandma and respect their family choices.
Best post so far, and in my opinion probably highly accurate in most of these situations.

I can understand why an excited grandparent might feel iced out in a situation like this. But it's healthy setting limits that prioritize the nuclear family for a while. Plus hosting people when you have a little can be stressful too. And lastly, I can say in my case that of the 4 grandparents there are a couple that frankly, while loved deeply, aren't great with little ones.

Last edited by rokuremote; 08-10-2023 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-10-2023, 05:18 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
Deal with it, OP, by NOT dealing with it. Back off and let the parties involved in the dispute work it out.

Old 08-12-2023, 06:07 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,856 times
In the old days (and overseas) Grandparents were important and were valued members of the family, even helping raise children. We aren’t seen that way anymore.

In a world where people want “stuff” - and more and more of it - I see kids treated as pawns. That can be seen not only in divorce situations but also in grandparent situations.

Grandparents can only be grateful if and when they are included, and keep their mouths shut otherwise.

BTW, I am estranged from my son. Have been for years. Yet, I am extremely lucky to spend Saturdays with my grandson while my daughter and SIL run weekend errands and they can have a meal alone as a couple.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:12 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
In the old days (and overseas) Grandparents were important and were valued members of the family, even helping raise children. We aren’t seen that way anymore.

In a world where people want “stuff” - and more and more of it - I see kids treated as pawns. That can be seen not only in divorce situations but also in grandparent situations.

Grandparents can only be grateful if and when they are included, and keep their mouths shut otherwise.

BTW, I am estranged from my son. Have been for years. Yet, I am extremely lucky to spend Saturdays with my grandson while my daughter and SIL run weekend errands and they can have a meal alone as a couple.
I dont believe that to be true, especially in my experience as a father of young kids. Many/most/all(?) of our friends parents (kids grandparents) are healthily involved in their lives.

What I suspect, is parents/grandparents that have outside issues w/ their children are removed from the equitation for other issues. You are "estranged" from your son. Why?

Just like in this case - we still haven't seen/heard from the again, and have no context as to why there was a big fight with the grandfather.

Old 08-17-2023, 10:45 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Whole thing sounds like an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond".

Old 08-18-2023, 03:32 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I guess it wasn't a very pressing problem. OP hasn't returned to the thread. More info needed on this issue. Otherwise, I can't imagine why there would be a problem with the nuclear family wanting family time on the weekends. Isn't that pretty normal? And healthy? It doesn't mean they're cutting the grandparents out altogether. Just that they want weekends to themselves for the time being.

Old 08-18-2023, 04:53 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess it wasn't a very pressing problem. OP hasn't returned to the thread. More info needed on this issue. Otherwise, I can't imagine why there would be a problem with the nuclear family wanting family time on the weekends. Isn't that pretty normal? And healthy? It doesn't mean they're cutting the grandparents out altogether. Just that they want weekends to themselves for the time being.
Again sticking with EBLR theme yes, it's normal for most families to want some one on one time alone to be by themselves. Then you have the Marie Barone's of the world who feel all definitions of family include themselves (along with perhaps spouses) and do not (or will not) be excluded.

Most men, especially of certain generations are wired differently. Even if they do or did feel slighted aren't likely to go on about it. Some women OTOH do seem often to get upset at what they perceive as exclusion from their child's (and by extension grandchild's) life.

OP hasn't been back likely because response wasn't what she wanted. Too few people joined her pity party offering moral support as it were.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:15 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There really is nothing else to add to the above. Let your kids and grands be. They're not abandoning you (OP), but if you keep pushing they're likely to get resentful and pull back more. They have enough stress at this time in their parenthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents