Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times

Advertisements

How do you grand parents feel about having grand children born out of wedlock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:13 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Your question seemed to warrant its own thread, zonababe.

I haven't heard that expression for a long while: out of wedlock. However, I know more young people are postponing marriage and having children. For a long time I wondered if my youngest daughter was going to remain single, but continue to live with her long-term partner, go the way of maiden names and children out of wedlock.

In the end, they did marry, and now have two children, but if they hadn't married, I would not have had any real issue with their decision(s).

She did retain her maiden name!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
I would have no problem with it. You can have a committed relationship without a piece of paper saying you're married.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
My daughter has been with her husband to be for 6 years now. They have "my" grandson who is now 3 years old. It makes no difference to me at all. They have only put off their marriage at my daughter request. She is very independent and does love her "man" but she doesn't find it necessary to get married before they get their finances in order. I personally am very proud of her--really both of them. My grandson has his daddy's name and knows that is his daddy, I am grandma, and my daughter is mama--and we all love him. Although I am religious it is only a piece of paper and God is so understanding--I guess I should be also!!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
No problem for this "mamaw" I would love em just the same and "out of wedlock" Haven't heard that since my best friend had a baby "out of wedlock" way back in about 1958 and she was forced by her religion to give it up for adoption

Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM

227 posts, read 720,178 times
When my daughter found out she was pregnant she and her fiance had just separated. They had been trying to work out getting back together. Of course, the best thing for a child, in my opinion, would be a complete family under one roof.... but, we didn't want them to make things worse by rushing into a wedding just because she was pregnant. In the end, they are happily married with my new beautiful grandson. Had it not worked out that way, we would have loved them all just the same.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,035 times
boy that is a tough one for me!! both of my granddaughters were conceived out of wedlock. I was crushed about the first one and not happy about the second one.
I love them dearly but I would have rather that their mother had been married and able to raise them in a christian home. They both have gone through a lot with drinking and drugs and I have been the one to raise the children. I know I may get flamed but I truly believe it is wrong. I have several friends that live together and I love them but they know what my convictions are and they love me anyway. Hope yall will too!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Shucks, thefer, I sure wouldn't stop caring about you because we might disagree, and inasmuch as you have some real personal experiences, I respect your opinion.

It isn't easy raising children with two parents, but with one it is more difficult, and having grand-parents take over the roll sure puts a burden on some...doing it twice and all.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Thefer I love you (but you already know that)..You have been my hero ever since I have known you for your steadfastness in your faith, no matter what life gave you..IMO,and yours too (just cause I know you) God has made it worthwhile in trusting you with two of His precious, innocent children..and you are doing good with it

Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
To me, marriage seals the deal. If a couple is committed enough to raise children together, why not be commited enough to marry one another?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents