Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Well both of thems lives will change no matter what.There is a old saying that you either learn the easy way or teh hardway. At some point they are likely to learn the hard way.Nothing you can do if that is their chioce.I really dount that the 16 year old is ready or your son from counds of it;so the child maybe lucky i havign the grandparent raise the child in ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 01:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
It's not illegal in Montana. My son and the mother have decided to have her live at home until she graduates early, then rent an apartment. He wants to work days while she goes to school and go to college part time at night. I can only support them in thier decisions. I'm just worried about the other grandparents wanting to raise the baby when it has two parents who want to do it. I invited other gramma to lunch and we had a good talk. I expressed my concerns but also told her my sons concerns were more valid as the baby is his and his girlfriends responsibility. I felt relieved after our talk and will wait to see how things go after the first doctor appointment.
Your son is technically an adult, so I'd argue that his views are definitely far more valid than the girl's mother's. Even with the girl being a minor, legally she has the right to raise her child the way she sees fit.

I will say that the child will probably be much better off with the grandparents playing a big role. A 16 year old is certainly not mature enough to raise a child on her own and, to a lesser extent, neither is a 19 year old.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Your son is technically an adult, so I'd argue that his views are definitely far more valid than the girl's mother's. Even with the girl being a minor, legally she has the right to raise her child the way she sees fit.
This didn't make much sense, at least not to me. Are you saying her son has more valid concerns or he doesn't? If it's the latter I think you misread her post as she said she expressed her concerns to the girlfriend's mother, but said she also told the girlfriend's mother that her (OP) son's concerns were more valid than her (OP) own.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
This didn't make much sense, at least not to me. Are you saying her son has more valid concerns or he doesn't? If it's the latter I think you misread her post as she said she expressed her concerns to the girlfriend's mother, but said she also told the girlfriend's mother that her (OP) son's concerns were more valid than her (OP) own.
Yes I suppose you are right re: this part: "I expressed my concerns but also told her my sons concerns were more valid." I guess I didn't read closely enough.

But then..."I'm just worried about the other grandparents wanting to raise the baby when it has two parents who want to do it." So this indicates that she is afraid of the other grandmother interfering.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes I suppose you are right re: this part: "I expressed my concerns but also told her my sons concerns were more valid." I guess I didn't read closely enough.

But then..."I'm just worried about the other grandparents wanting to raise the baby when it has two parents who want to do it." So this indicates that she is afraid of the other grandmother interfering.
Well that is a valid concern. I too think that they (her son and the girlfriend) are going to need as much support as they can get for awhile as long as it's support and not taking over and completely doing all of the raising by the girlfriend's parents. If the raising is done mainly by the girlfriend's parents and not by the young parents then they, the girlfreind especially, might think having children is easy and decide to do it again and again. That to me is an even bigger concern especially given that the girlfriend stopped taking her BC in the first place so she could end up pregnant.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Well that is a valid concern. I too think that they (her son and the girlfriend) are going to need as much support as they can get for awhile as long as it's support and not taking over and completely doing all of the raising by the girlfriend's parents. If the raising is done mainly by the girlfriend's parents and not by the young parents then they, the girlfreind especially, might think having children is easy and decide to do it again and again. That to me is an even bigger concern especially given that the girlfriend stopped taking her BC in the first place so she could end up pregnant.
Yes...this seems to indicate that her maturity level is even lower than that of the average 16 year old. Which makes me think someone needs to pound some reality into her.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
It's not illegal in Montana. My son and the mother have decided to have her live at home until she graduates early, then rent an apartment. He wants to work days while she goes to school and go to college part time at night. I can only support them in thier decisions. I'm just worried about the other grandparents wanting to raise the baby when it has two parents who want to do it. I invited other gramma to lunch and we had a good talk. I expressed my concerns but also told her my sons concerns were more valid as the baby is his and his girlfriends responsibility. I felt relieved after our talk and will wait to see how things go after the first doctor appointment.
Wedding bells???? Is the child going to be born out of wedlock?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
I'm glad you had a good talk with the other grandma. Maybe it will work out ok. I do wonder who will be watching the baby while mom is at school and dad is at work. But, I'm glad to hear they want to go to college.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Wedding bells???? Is the child going to be born out of wedlock?
honestly? why force them into marriage at this young age? It won't solve anything.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
honestly? why force them into marriage at this young age? It won't solve anything.
When their relationship ends (which you know as well as I do is incredibly likely)...it will at the bare minimum provide some protection for her son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents