Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:45 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,275 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any ideas for gifts for a Grandmother? She is 74, lives in SC and has no hobbies and only eats greasy southern food.

I send the same gifts each time and I am getting tired of it so I am sure she is getting tired of it too.

I go to her house now and then to visit and I can tell she is pulling the gifts out of the closet, unused just to make me think she is using them.

HELP!!!! Her B day is coming up and I am out of ideas. ( $200 price range)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Take her out ..Shopping? Movie? Dinner? Invite her to your house for the afternoon? Does she watch videos? Use the computer? Read?

If she is on a limited income how bout paying her electric or phone bill this month, or just a nice card with some money?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
If you are close enough, how about a play or dinner theater, just the two of you. Does she have a hard time cleaning? How about a cleaning gift certificate, either Merry Maids or you.

My grandmother and I had a "thing"... I once bought her a LARGE tin that said "These are NOT on your diet... there! That should make them taste even better!" I filled it with her favorite candies and sent it to her. She sent it back on MY birthday, filled back up, with a request that we keep it going. We did, for over 15 years.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
If you are close enough, how about a play or dinner theater, just the two of you. Does she have a hard time cleaning? How about a cleaning gift certificate, either Merry Maids or you.

My grandmother and I had a "thing"... I once bought her a LARGE tin that said "These are NOT on your diet... there! That should make them taste even better!" I filled it with her favorite candies and sent it to her. She sent it back on MY birthday, filled back up, with a request that we keep it going. We did, for over 15 years.
Oh that is just so sweet..what a great idea

Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I'm assuming you don't live near her and can't take her out to dinner, a play, shopping, etc. If this is the case, how about gift certificates to her favorite restaurants? Perhaps a fruit of the month club or a candy of the month club - that way she'd get something from you each month.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Why don't you just send her a VISA gift card so she can purchase whatever she wants, pay a bill or buy some groceries depending on her needs at the time? Once you are older, you already have so much stuff and it can get in the way. Have the kids make cards though....it is ALWAYS a favorite!!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
It depends on if she is the sentimental sort or not.... my mom is, so this was good for her. I got a very large photo frame, one with the mat to hold numerous photos, and did a "through the years" kind of theme, with pictures of me and my brother from babies through adulthood.. then pics of the grandkids too. Just any important people in her life, if you have a large family you could do more than one.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Anyone have any ideas for gifts for a Grandmother? She is 74, lives in SC and has no hobbies and only eats greasy southern food.

I send the same gifts each time and I am getting tired of it so I am sure she is getting tired of it too.

I go to her house now and then to visit and I can tell she is pulling the gifts out of the closet, unused just to make me think she is using them.

HELP!!!! Her B day is coming up and I am out of ideas. ( $200 price range)

Thanks
Keurig - Single cup coffee maker – coffee brewer, gourmet coffee, gourmet tea, K-Cups

If she drinks coffee, I think this is a great idea. It runs about $100, plus the cost of the coffee. There is one at my office and I am going to get my mom one for Christmas. I'm sure that I'll end up getting her the actual coffees for her birthday, as they run 50 cents a cup and she won't spend that kind of money, but for a single person, I think they are great. Can also get flavored coffees and teas.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Take her out for a nice meal and a spa day.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
You're so good to her. Another gift idea is maybe to compile videos of the family, time spent with her, that sort of thing. Make it look nice and professional down to the packaging. It's probably a lot of hands-on time logged to do this but it could be something you can do next year. If she likes watching home videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents