Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,016 times

Advertisements

Our family is contemplating an intervention for an obese nine yr.old grandchild...has anyone attempted to do this. We are looking for
advice. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
explain more. What type of intervention; are professionals involved, would the 9 year old child be there?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatelover View Post
Our family is contemplating an intervention for an obese nine yr.old grandchild...has anyone attempted to do this. We are looking for
advice. Please help!
Call the police immediately - not only the police; get hold of the bomb squad! Your grandchild may have a Twinkie stashed away in his or her backpack!

Get on the phone; time's a wastin'!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
An intervention for a 9 year old? Why don't the parents just watch what food they put in the house? How hard can that be?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatelover View Post
advice. Please help!
You can't be blamed for being concerned here. But maybe the above poster has a point and you might want to consider focusing the intervention on the parents themselves; they are the ones in control of the kind of food that is brought into their household.

I would suggest that you work with a counselor on this who has experience in family interventions. It isn't a terrible idea but it's a situation that needs to be handled quite sensitively.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
It would be alot easier to just slowly ease them into changed habits. An intervention would be majorly traumatizing for a 9 year old IMHO. Most of the time when someone says "Family Intervention" I think of several family members telling a person (an ADULT) What they are doing to hurt the family and themselves, in detail. How they are hurting themselves and the family as a unit. I can't imagine needing an intervention for a 9 year old. Change what is bought for food in the home. Change the eating out habits of the family. Change the exercise habits of the family. Take a walk every night after dinner, ect. Easy, gentle things that don't have to be hard to work.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
It would be alot easier to just slowly ease them into changed habits. An intervention would be majorly traumatizing for a 9 year old IMHO. Most of the time when someone says "Family Intervention" I think of several family members telling a person (an ADULT) What they are doing to hurt the family and themselves, in detail. How they are hurting themselves and the family as a unit. I can't imagine needing an intervention for a 9 year old. Change what is bought for food in the home. Change the eating out habits of the family. Change the exercise habits of the family. Take a walk every night after dinner, ect. Easy, gentle things that don't have to be hard to work.
That's good advice. But I get the impression that the OP is asking the question as a concerned grandparent and not as someone who has control over the food/activities in the home where the 9 year old lives. And it wasn't clear whether the 9 year old would be present at the intervention or just the parents.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Call the police immediately - not only the police; get hold of the bomb squad! Your grandchild may have a Twinkie stashed away in his or her backpack!

Get on the phone; time's a wastin'!
Have to agree here. An intervention is extreme, especially for a 9 year old. I have posted to threads concerning childhood obesity before and have considerable experience with this issue. Before anything, please check into all reasons for this child to be obese. It can stem from hundreds of reasons. From basic over-eating to boredom to a serious illness or disorder. An intervention at 9 years old is only going to cause the child to be self conscience and defensive and at such a young age, is detrimental to his/her emotional well being which can in turn, cause over-eating.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,016 times
There was no intent for the child to be present at a family (intervention/meeting). We understand the vulnerability of such actions..sorry i didn't mention this at the beginning. However, due to the observations of our rather large family of this grandchild, nephew, cousin, we are hoping for ideas that will make his parents sit up and take notice of the impending health and emotional problems at are already well in progress. Being the matriarch, i have finally approached my son with a "do not delay medical attention" request and offers of help.. My hands are tied legally to do anything other than this.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
you've offered your help, now it's out of your hands..You've done everything legally possible..I think the parents certainly must know by now how you all feel, and that from now on it really is up to them..I think if you keep in their face about it, you might allianate them,..I would tread lightly and just enjoy your grandson the way he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents