Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
I see nothing wrong with increasing the price of fatty food, but they need to lower the prices of healthier foods (fruits, vegetables, chicken)

So yes, I would support taxes on it.
As a pragmatic-libertarianish populist mainstream conservative type, I see at least two problems with that idea. One is the idea of more taxes that then would presumably fund more government bureaucracy (for all the reasons that people with my leanings object to these things). The other is the whole idea of trying to control people this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Either way, people can and will eat however they wish, or whatever is within their means financially
And then there is the fact that for all those higher taxes and that expansion of government, it probably wouldn't work so well anyway, except maybe on the poor, who would be getting doubly screwed, since they may already have difficulty affording the more wholesome foods, and with this plan they would then be squeezed on the foods that at present they are able to afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,314 times
If cigarettes have health hazard warnings on the packaging, then I guess now, the government should start implementing same thing on foods not good for the body.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It is indeed like helmet and seat belt laws - and all if it is bunk.
What is "Bunk" about helmet and seat belt laws? Are you arguing that they don't save lives? Have you ever worked in an emergency room?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

We could also disallow food stamps from purchasing junk food
I read a lengthy article about that in the "Washington Post" last year. The problem is, a typical American supermarket carries tens of thousands of brands and varieties of processed food. It would take forever for the F.D.A. to evaluate each item, and label each as "good" or "bad". And what if manufacturers tweaked or changed the ingredients after they had already been labeled "good" or "bad"? Then the item would have to be re-evaluated. The whole matter would also turn into a political football for the corn industry, sugar and cooking-oils industries, and others, as manufacturers, and Senators from the particular industry's or the commodity's State, would lobby to have their product labeled as "good."

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Clearly, the control-freaks are persistent.

Memo to them: stay out of my life and my refrigerator. We can spend our money any way we choose, and don't need prices to increase further to comply with more nonsensical labeling laws.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM

577 posts, read 900,304 times
I just ate a fat-filled dish of lamb. Red meat AND fat!

And even at 6 months pregnant I weigh less than most American women (BMI 20 right now).

Fat doesn't make you fat... it's the overall diet and overeating (on anything) that will do you in.Yes, processed sugary foods are easier to overeat on because they're addictive, but a calorie is a calorie.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:10 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
But the obesity epidemic continues to rise. Why is this, and what should be done to stop it?
Education is not working. What other options can be pursued?
Obesity is not an epidemic. Why do we always seek to make a vice into a disease? Because that fits the comfortable philosophy known as determinism. That it just wasn't our fault!

Obesity is a personal choice. But no, the government should not be involved. People should be free to get as fat or thin as they want. Weight is a personal liberty.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Obesity is not an epidemic. Why do we always seek to make a vice into a disease? Because that fits the comfortable philosophy known as determinism. That it just wasn't our fault!

Obesity is a personal choice. But no, the government should not be involved. People should be free to get as fat or thin as they want. Weight is a personal liberty.
I agree obesity is a personal choice and should remain so.

Those that are obese should also feel the consequences of their choice. Don't ask the government, or society at large to accommodate that choice.

Too big to fit in the airline seat? Buy two seats. Clogged arteries? Your cost to treat them should be felt more by you than by others in the insurance pool. Can't pass the physical test to be a fireman? You don't get that job.

Last edited by hoffdano; 08-01-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I just ate a fat-filled dish of lamb. Red meat AND fat!

And even at 6 months pregnant I weigh less than most American women (BMI 20 right now).

Fat doesn't make you fat... it's the overall diet and overeating (on anything) that will do you in.Yes, processed sugary foods are easier to overeat on because they're addictive, but a calorie is a calorie.
To a point. Your body metabolizes food differently. IE, a high sugar diet leads to insulin spikes which promotes your body storing those calories as fat. Also, dietary fat isn't the enemy. It's the sugar that is tossed into anything processed. Personally I avoid sugar and it's various forms like it's a poison. I'll still eat it in its natural state, ie in fruit etc. But fat? I eat quite a bit of it, and yet I'm very fit. I think people have gotten the wrong idea about fats in this country. It's sugar, people. Sugar - avoid it.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:19 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,176 times
Howcome we didn't have a obesity epidemic in the sixties and seventies when i was growing up? Processed food was at a minimum and kids went outside and played, simple. Get rid of processed food, it's killing us and get the kiddies off the game stations and outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates