Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

I probably won't participate in this discussion much since I don't know that much about either, but my brother started shedding the doom and gloom all over me today about it possibly being the end times. I'm thinking that all the strange weather is due to climate change.

What do you all think? Are we nearing the end times?? Should we all start repenting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
There have been end times and doomsday predictions for centuries. All have been wrong so far. I have little faith in doomsday predictions. They are perhaps interesting reads and revenue producers for some authors, but not much more. The next doomsday prediction to topple will be the December 21, 2012 one.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I probably won't participate in this discussion much since I don't know that much about either, but my brother started shedding the doom and gloom all over me today about it possibly being the end times. I'm thinking that all the strange weather is due to climate change.

What do you all think? Are we nearing the end times?? Should we all start repenting?
If you have something for which to repent one shouldn't wait until the "end of times".

Magnetic pole shift and corrupt governments, including those that like to experiment with the weather, pretty well explain what is happening in the world today.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 AM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If you have something for which to repent one shouldn't wait until the "end of times".

Magnetic pole shift and corrupt governments, including those that like to experiment with the weather, pretty well explain what is happening in the world today.
So America has a magnet machine! I knew it. which evil genius has the weather machine? The French I bet. they never did like the Austrailians. As for me, I think "endtimes" is hard to accept. All this insite to the world from a few books wrote thousands of years ago by people who believed the world was FLAT. gotta go, that bush is burning again.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
The concept of doomsday freaks me out a little, and normally I would say that it's hard to except that, but now with the political unrest in Egypt, and now possibly Yemen, I have to wonder if this is the beginning of the end. I know it sounds wacky, but I just wonder.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
I agree with HighPlainsDrifter. None of these predictions are new. Weird climatic events, civil unrest, seismic events - all have been occurring for thousands (or millions) of years. I think some people are obsessed with the destruction of the world and harbor a private desire for it. I wonder how many doom and destruction predictors have an understanding or knowledge of science and/or history.

Last edited by peppermint; 02-03-2011 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default Could be....

Earth's agenda does not list our human requirements as a discussion point. Never has, never will. We have evolved physiologically to fit into a small, 'temporary' niche circling in an eddy on the river of change. If the changes take place faster than we can evolve we go away.

Could be we are 'going away'. We crave stability, the earth is dynamic.

Continents have drifted back and forth, land masses have sunk in the sea, climates, ice ages and glaciers have come and gone.

It is egocentric to think man is at the center of these changes. We are along for the ride and might get kicked out at any time.

It is right out of the dark ages that an Al Gore like character and his conspirators take advantage of less informed people to line their pockets.

The leagcy of human sacrifice by primitive tribes from earlier ages, used to appease the gods or bring back the sun after a solar eclipse continues in a fashion today as we get monetarily fleeced in order to save the planet from imminent destruction.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
So America has a magnet machine! I knew it. which evil genius has the weather machine? The French I bet. they never did like the Austrailians. As for me, I think "endtimes" is hard to accept. All this insite to the world from a few books wrote thousands of years ago by people who believed the world was FLAT. gotta go, that bush is burning again.

That would be Tesla, but the American government stole it from him and built it in Alaska. I can't remember the name at this moment?

But anyway, I don't believe it is the end of times. Even if we had a catastrophic event someone would survive. And climate change has been a way of life throughout time.
I do worry about earhquakes and such. Here in TN if you look at some of these rock formations jutting out from the Earth like they have been pushed up with unimaginable forces it make you wonder how powerful Mother Nature can be.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

There are those that claim that the US government uses HARP to cause earthquakes in Haiti etc.

Al Jazeera blamed the earthquake\tsunami in the far east a couple years back on some sort of US\Israeli device.

I guess if you have an axe to grind one can just associate ANY occasional abnormality to the pre-determined cause.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
If people were to understand random variation better they would realize that an ABSENCE of abnormal events would be the freakish thing and not *proof* of some dire end of times.

Let me give an analogy using something that most of these luddites would understand better....lottery tickets.

Hearing people point out weather phenomenon (observed across the planet), whale beachings, birds dying etc etc. is like someone seeing a person win the powerball and claiming it's "fake" because the odds are like 1 in 250million. LOL.

When you have billions of chances daily across the planet of something *odd* occurring, it's practically expected to have abnormal things happening on a somewhat regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates