Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 AM

7 posts, read 7,522 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]
How can we, as individuals and as a society, combat ageism and the stigmatization of dementia?
What factors should we help people with dementia and their loved ones consider as they try to make decisions about their care and housing?
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:34 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Well, people with dementia could stop acting all crazy 'n stuff...

I guess you've gotta look at it from an evolutionary psychology perspective. We have aversions to certain things like mental illness, situations where people need permanent care, sickness, ect for a reason... It meant survival! An unpredictable person, one who couldn't care for him/herself, ect was a liability and a real danger to everyone else. It was a self-enforcing behavior for tens of thousands of years and will not just be swept aside in a day.

True it isn't the fault of the sufferer, but obsolete evolved behavioral tendencies aren't necessarily the fault of sane people either.

That said, it is unreasonable to expect the whole world to just evolve out of the ways they see such people. We need to try to change minds, of course but evolution moves at a glacial pace and we won't see the fruits of our efforts to effect change in our lifetimes.

The only real solution is to cure/mitigate the problem. We need to focus on understanding exactly how the brain works so we can figure out cures to mental diseases.

We may possibly be able to "cure" aging with techological advances, both within the body and by using robotics to build caretakers without pesky preconcieved notions about what is gross, time consuming and emotionally draining.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk88 View Post
[SIZE=2]
How can we, as individuals and as a society, combat ageism and the stigmatization of dementia?
[/SIZE]
Dementia is a mental illness.
Ageism is "discrimination" due to age.
Stigmatization of dementia is a negative characteization of someone with dementia.

These are three different things.

Combat ageism: There a laws in place to combat this and other prejudices such as racism and discrimination against religion.

Combat Stigmatization of dementia: How do you stop society from stigmatizing obese, handicaps, or physical deformities?

Quote:
[SIZE=2]
What factors should we help people with dementia and their loved ones consider as they try to make decisions about their care and housing?
[/SIZE]
Long Term Care Insurance

Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Has to treatment that is upto the doctors treating them to advise. As to stigmazation that is like anything else that is stereotyped really in society. I have to say tho my wife's aunt has it and never seen any such problem with society doing this .As to aqgsim there are laws but really its hard to change what society thnks about youth;older people other generations etc since its indivdual really.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times
Quote:
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
Modeling but not because we want to teach something to another person but because we want to do the right thing.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Dementia associated with old age is not stigmatized. People are very sympathetic toward confused old people. Treatments for alzheimers are being studied and some of the current meds do help the quality of life.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Education and teaching by example. If we educate ourselves, we can then educate others. If we show our younger generations how to appropriately treat those afflicted, perhaps they will follow suit. It's going to take one person at a time and it's not going to go away over night.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:56 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Ageism and people stigmatizing those with dementia are two completely different issues!

Everyone becomes old... but not every old person develops dementia.

I suppose for my part, as a 52 year old person, I look and act like a 30 year old. So I'm doing my part to combat stereotypes of older people. I think if older people don't want to be considered behind the times, set in their ways or feeble in mind or body, then they'd better work to keep up with the younger crowd. Older people just have to make sure that they keep up with the latest in technology, news and popular culture. Older people also have to make sure that they stay in physical shape so they stay strong and agile.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:00 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Ageism and people stigmatizing those with dementia are two completely different issues!

Everyone becomes old... but not every old person develops dementia.

I suppose for my part, as a 52 year old person, I look and act like a 30 year old. So I'm doing my part to combat stereotypes of older people. I think if older people don't want to be considered behind the times, set in their ways or feeble in mind or body, then they'd better work to keep up with the younger crowd. Older people just have to make sure that they keep up with the latest in technology, news and popular culture. Older people also have to make sure that they stay in physical shape so they stay strong and agile.
Wouldn't it be nice if all older people had that choice?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if all older people had that choice?
What do you mean? In most cases, it's never too late to get back into physical shape. And the same goes for older people learning about current technologies and current culture. It's all free in the public libraries. And adult continuing education courses are very inexpensive.

Honestly, most older people who are out of physical shape and behind on current knowledge due to their own laziness. So many people think that once they have graduated school and are adults, stop exercising as they do all their errands by car and they stop using their brain to learn new things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates