Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times

Advertisements

We hear so much about how all the manufacturing jobs in the US have gone away - outsourced to China, Thailand etc. So I pose this question. If we brought these jobs back to the US, how much more would things cost?

Some examples: (Certain items and what they cost now.) Any guesses as to what would they cost if made in the US?

Designer jeans - $100

Apple computer - $1100

T-shirt - $20

Place setting of dinner dishes - $35

Artificial 7 ft. Christmas tree - $150

Are you willing to pay more for something if it's made here in the US and benefits all Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Jeans - about the same. Mine are by Wrangler

Computer - about the same as these thinf are made by robots with very little human involvment. Apple would just make a bit less profit

T-Shirt - same as computer

Dishes - Hard to beat China at making china. Probably more

Tree - maybe twice as much because of hand assembly. It would just make natural trees more competitive and desirable.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:08 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
We hear so much about how all the manufacturing jobs in the US have gone away - outsourced to China, Thailand etc. So I pose this question. If we brought these jobs back to the US, how much more would things cost?
The whole premise of the question is false. ALL of the world's twelve large manufacturing economies have lost manufacturing jobs since the mid-1990's, even as manufacturing output has soared. China for instance has LOST more manufacturing jobs in that time than the US currently HAS. Losses in the US have been about average for the group. People need to get used to the idea that, like agriculture a century and more ago, manufacturing has lost any capacity it once had to provide jobs for the masses. That era has ended.

By the way, the US is still by a comfortable margin the largest manufacturing economy in the world.

Last edited by saganista; 12-23-2011 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 AM

But SOMEBODY has to make the stuff we buy. If I built a factory to make jeans/dishes, Christmas trees/computers and produced a decent product on American soil, how does that not bring jobs and income to Americans?

Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Yeah, that's how the US produces about 23% of total world GDP. We do a very good job at a whole lot of stuff. But not everything. Basically, world markets are telling us that US workers are too skilled, too well-educated, and just plain too valuable to be used in what have become essentially menial tasks that thousands of women in Thailand or Indonesia can do just as well for less money. Those sorts of jobs are not for us any longer.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,810 times
There is no doubt that other countries are going to be better at some thing than we are. Apparel is one that comes up all the time because we just can't compete with the prices that other countries can offer. However, I find it very interesting that so many people just want to say that we are in a decline of manufacturing and give up. Well you can't buy everything Made in the USA you can buy some things. I buy my orange juice from sources made only in the USA. It cost no more but helps a farmer get some extra income. It's the small things that count that we should focus on. We can't be the best at everything but we shouldn't have to settle for less.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackman View Post
There is no doubt that other countries are going to be better at some thing than we are. Apparel is one that comes up all the time because we just can't compete with the prices that other countries can offer. However, I find it very interesting that so many people just want to say that we are in a decline of manufacturing and give up. Well you can't buy everything Made in the USA you can buy some things. I buy my orange juice from sources made only in the USA. It cost no more but helps a farmer get some extra income. It's the small things that count that we should focus on. We can't be the best at everything but we shouldn't have to settle for less.
Maybe we can't compete, but would Americans pay higher prices (again, how much higher?) if they knew they were keeping the money they spent in our economy? If we would pay $100 for jeans made in China, would we pay $125 for the same ones made here? I would, I think.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Jeans - about the same. Mine are by Wrangler

Computer - about the same as these thinf are made by robots with very little human involvment. Apple would just make a bit less profit

T-Shirt - same as computer
Actually, nearly all clothing still needs to be manufactured by hand - the robots just aren't advanced enough to take over this job from humans.

As for computers, the parts are produced on automated lines, but the final products are hand assembled.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
How much more would things cost? It would take expert economists a long time to figure that out, so don't count on a few speculative forum posts to provide much valuable input there. And frankly, I think automation and technology in general have eliminated far more jobs than offshoring ever has or ever will. Mankind has fallen victim to it's own success.
Why would it take experts? Apparently the businesses who take their manufacturing overseas have been able to figure it out. That's why they did it. Presumably wages, benefits, taxes and the cost of facilities are figured in to price out the products they produce. Seems they could do the same cost analysis for manufacturing items here. The common wisdom is that cheaper is what Americans want, but it's possible that pride in country and putting Americans back to work would convince people to pay a little more. Even if automation were part of the equation, it would still take people to build facilities, make and repair the automation and do the finish/assembly work.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:24 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,975 times
How much more would things cost? It would take a panel of economists a while to calculate and compile that info, so don't count on a few speculative forum posts to provide much valuable input there. And frankly, I think automation and technology in general have eliminated far more jobs than offshoring ever has or ever will. Mankind has fallen victim to his own success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates