Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,182 times

Advertisements

Alcohol is the drug of choice in Western society. Alcohol use is very normalized and most people don't think much of it. Drugs like marijuana have been proven to be much less harmful than alcohol, yet weed is as illegal as Crack is many places. Marijuana has been used for medicinal purposes for over 12,000 years and there is not one single marijuana overdose death on record in the history of mankind. Although alcohol has no proven medicinal qualities, millions of Americans imbibe heartily. The vast majority of Americans drink at least once in a while. However, the price of alcohol is devastating on our society. Alcohol effects different people differently. Unfortunately, one of the defining characteristics of alcohol is its drowning of inhibitions which directly links the drug with often extreme violence. Approximately 50% of all assaults and homicides involve alcoholic intoxication. Alcohol is undoubtedly used as a tool of oppressing the lower class in America. Inner city areas with high concentrations of liquor stores have a disproportionate amount of homicides, rapes, robberies and assaults.

Alcohol Fuels Violence (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2000/06/10/violence14.DTL - broken link)

Why so many liquor stores?

Alcohol abuse and its violent outcomes are not limited to poor minorities living in the slums either. College students, the so-called "future" of our country, behave the worst under the influence of alcohol. Over 90% of rapes on college campuses involve intoxication. Two-thirds of student suicides involve intoxication as well as 95% of all violent crime on college campuses is linked to alcohol.

Frequently Asked Questions About College Binge Drinking

All of this is just the tip of the iceberg. According to a fairly recent study, alcohol is not surprisingly the most dangerous drug available, legal or illegal. Alcohol was found to be more dangerous than Crack or Heroin.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/01...arm/index.html

The legality and social acceptability of alcohol, as well as the vague definition of alcoholism, makes people reluctant to admit that they have a problem with the sauce. Alcoholism is one of the leading killers of Americans. Millions of families are ravaged by the abuse and neglect of alcoholism. Although only a minority of people are alcoholics in our society, alcoholism is epidemic in America for many different demographics from the illustrated examples of ghetto people to people in the military to college students to Native Americans to lawyers; all of whom have above average rates of alcoholism. About half of college students are binge drinkers and one in three college students meets the criteria for problem drinking or alcoholism. One in four lawyers is a full-blown alcoholic. American ghettos are full liquor stores and unemployed men and women loitering drinking around the clock.

More Than One in Three College Students Can be Diagnosed with Alcohol Disorders

High-Functioning Alcoholics: Lawyers Are Not Above The “Bar” | Complete Law Resources and Legal News

DWI is the most common conviction in America. Tens of thousands of people die from alcohol related car crashes every year. Every thirty minutes, an American dies in an alcohol related car accident.

http://www.drug-rehabs.org/alcohol-statistics.php

Why is alcohol legal again?

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-28-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 01:05 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,172 times
First, there are NOT hundreds of thousands of alcohol deaths per year. Second, I have been drinking alcohol for 30 plus years. I can't remember the last time I was drunk and I have never had a problem with alcohol. I know many people who drink responsibly just like I do.

Making alcohol illegal because a small percentage of the people who use it can't control themselves is absolutely ridiculous.

Anybody remember what happened during prohibition?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I don't know but making it legal sure didn't reduce the problems of it.

Where I live, there have been many DWI deaths but I suspect many of the drunk drivers were also high on some kind of drug but only the alcohol is reported for some strange reason.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
First, there are NOT hundreds of thousands of alcohol deaths per year. Second, I have been drinking alcohol for 30 plus years. I can't remember the last time I was drunk and I have never had a problem with alcohol. I know many people who drink responsibly just like I do.

Making alcohol illegal because a small percentage of the people who use it can't control themselves is absolutely ridiculous.

Anybody remember what happened during prohibition?
True. And like it or not methamphetamine and pcp, lsd, are not nearly as safe as alcohol. Meth can severely damage someone in just a few months. People can drink for many years and be just fine.

A 12 year old getting into a can of beer is not likely going to be harmed beyond repair because the body can completely metabolize alcohol. The next day the alcohol in the can of beer you drank the night before is not there at all, nor are it's metabolites.

Drugs like those in pot will accumulate in the fat cells and the effects of it can linger for months. It doesn't completely metabolize.

And drugs like meth can keep someone awake for 6 days and make them lose their minds, but alcohol without other drugs will just have them fall asleep.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:48 PM

19 posts, read 44,360 times
If alcohol was a new substance, it probably would have been illegal everywhere, and nicotine too. But people have used alcohol for many thousands of years so it forms a part of most cultures around the world.

Still, if banning it were practical, it should probably be done. But it's not. When it has been tried, as in the United States between 1919 and 1933, it created a huge criminal economy which arguably was more harmful than the legal trade it abolished.

It comes down to this: a ban which most people ignore won't work. A prohibition has to be something that a majority approves of. Only then does it become feasible to control and punish the offending minority.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
I would ask a different question:

Why is cannabis ILLEGAL?

Alcohol isn't bad in moderation. I am all for a massive crackdown on drunk driving though. It still seems to be not enough of a taboo to deter people, so perhaps much tougher sentences are needed, especially if death or injury of an innocent person is involved.

Prohibition failed before and it'd fail again. Alcohol sales would just end up in the black market and along with that would be the associated crime. It would then become a "war on drugs" issue, with the cost being borne by the taxpayer.

At least if it's legal, it can be taxed. The same should be true of marijuana, which is no more harmful than alcohol or tobacco.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Prohibition of any mind altering substance doesn't work.

It didn't work with alcohol during the 1920 and it isn't working with any other drug now.

Legalise them all, tax them, teach people about moderation and safe consumption, send criminals who crash cars or hurt people, to prison.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
The number of drunk drivers has been going down for years. And lowering the standard for drunk driving defined more drivers as drunk! Prohibition just made more criminals out of the population even without getting behind the wheel. If you saw the documentary, you saw how it had widespread support, from the NAACP to the KKK, business and labor leaders. They actually thought it would work. Incidentally, on some reservations, there is no legal liquor, which just means they drive, often drunk, to and from where it is legal.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Alcohol is regulated and taxed. It seems that the same people who are vehemently against drug use are the same ones who advocate ANOTHER prohibition period of alcohol. How did the first one pan out? The current war on drugs will end soon - in failure. The lives destroyed - both people incarcerated, murdered by law enforcement - Kathryn Johnston shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and cops killed during raids that should never had occured.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Why should it be illegal, given that the vast majority of people enjoy it responsibly? In fact, a host of studies now suggest that moderate alcohol consumption can have positive health effects.

More to your point, why should the government be allowed to dictate the private consumption habits of individuals? Why should the government in the business of legislating morality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates