Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

I read a NY Times article that sparked the question...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/op...pagewanted=all

I completely flunked out of math in High School and graduated with some remedial math class that didn't even go past simple fractions in it's difficulty level. Later in college I paid for it by having to work my way from the bottom up in math up to the college algebra level.

During school I hated math with a passion, and my happiest day in 16 years of education was not when I graduated, but when I finished my college math requirements!

As it turns out, I (of course) never used algebra again and by now I've pretty much forgotten all that I learned.

Although I am still proud of myself for overcoming my math weakness, I can't help but think my math education was really just jumping through hoops.

Is algebra really a subject worth including as a general education requirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
I'm not surprised that the NYT would come up with statements like this:

Quote:
Making mathematics mandatory prevents us from discovering and developing young talent.
or this

Quote:
But there’s no evidence that being able to prove (x² + y²)² = (x² - y²)² + (2xy)² leads to more credible political opinions or social analysis.
The writers tend to be fuzzy studies majors who not just are woefully ignorant of science and technology matters, they almost seem to be proud of it.

I would have said that Social Studies is a complete waste of time. Who needs to learn about the Mesopotamians or ancient Greeks? What exactly put "credible political opinions" or "social analysis" at the top of the heap when it comes to goals? How about understanding how a light switch works or whether it makes sense to install a new furnace in your home?

The gist of the article seems to be that kids are failing it so the schools should drop it. I wouldn't have thought we could dumb down the curricula much more, but this NYT author is making a concrete suggestion of where there is still room to create even dumber high school graduates.

Sorry, it's called general education because at some level we all need some common ground. Just as the geeks of this world can be expected to articulate their thoughts reasonably clearly and have at least a shimmer of human history, so should the average person be able to make change from a $5 bill and understand interest rates. How in the world is the populace supposed to make reasonable decisions on issues such as energy policy if they don't comprehend even simple algebra?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Of course Algebra should be taught.

A person who struggles with high school algebra is most likely a person who struggles trying to solve any mildly complex problem, mathematical or otherwise.

Such a person should think twice before spending a lot of money on a college degree.

When they graduate they are likely to find that the jobs they are qualified to do are being done by machines or computer software.

Last edited by karlsch; 08-02-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM

711 posts, read 1,689,577 times
Honestly, I've used algebra alot as far as math outside the classroom. I was putting up a fence in my back yard the other day and basic algebra was helping me work through it. I've used it for other things too, honestly you may not realize you are using basic algebra, but it's very important for everyone to learn.

Now, calculus or trigonometry on the other hand. I have NEVER used those after classes & there is maybe once each outside school that they would have helped. In the end I think I just used google to help me out.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I am a middle aged man, I have never in my life ever used Algebra, Trig, or Geometry. To me, it was a waste.

I have also never needed biology, Chemistry either.

Gym was also a waste, I hate sports and have zero interest in them and I am not good either, trust me, you don't want me on your team.

Business class was the best, as I work in an office for the last 100 years, that was the only thing that taught me for the buisness world.

Most everything that was taught to me has been long gone and forgotten about.

Fractions, were never needed as well....

But i do know how o balance a check book and make investments and double my money.....

Old 08-02-2012, 02:44 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
This whole argument is moot. Nearly every state (45) have adopted the national Common Core Standards (part of the replacement of NCLB, it's called Race To The Top) and Algebra is a required component as is Geometry.

Common Core State Standards Initiative | Home

This is also tied into the national push for STEM (Science, Technology, Mathematics and Engineering).

Algebra is not going away. States such as MD have required Algebra and Geometry for all students, regardless of ability, for years with a graduation required exam for Algebra.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 08-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-03-2012, 01:05 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
General math classes are no longer offered in our school district except in elementary. You start with algebra in middle school and in the 9th grade you have advanced algebra ... then the geometry starts. My twin nephews failed geometry and had to go to summer school in June.

Summer school consisted of one week ... 5 days ... 8:30 until 3:30 all geometry on a computer. They passed the summer school ... how can a whole semester of geometry be taught in 5 days?

Young high school students that work part-time at grocery stores or the big box stores and operate a cash register cannot ADD OR SUBTRACT without their handy dandy cash register (computer) advising them on the correct change to return.

Algebra, geometry nor trig will ever help that young person. You can try it yourself ... if your bill comes to $12.27 and you give the young cashier $20.00 and they ring it up and then tell them ... oh here is the $.27 ... you will receive this 'deer in the headlights' stare.' If you really want to blow them away give them the $2.27.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 AM

I always remember the teacher saying you need to learn manually how to add & subtract, because if there was a "black out" or the "power" went off, you still had to work. (didn't slavery go out in the middle ages?)

NEWSFLASH: if there is a blackout, you go home.....there is no working, as a lot of offices do not have windows, you would be in the dark, and suffocate. Duh !!! just a little clerical humor.

LOL

Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM

113 posts, read 180,850 times
I am not opposed to teaching algebra in school. I do think that school should put much more emphasis on real world learning though. Nothing wrong with algebra, but how about teaching kids how to balance a checkbook, live on a budget, prepare a resume, find a job, or file a tax return? Nobody taught me how to do these things in school. I am all for having a good well rounded education in all subjects, but school needs to do a better job of preparing kids for the real world.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I am not opposed to teaching algebra in school. I do think that school should put much more emphasis on real world learning though. Nothing wrong with algebra, but how about teaching kids how to balance a checkbook, live on a budget, prepare a resume, find a job, or file a tax return? Nobody taught me how to do these things in school. I am all for having a good well rounded education in all subjects, but school needs to do a better job of preparing kids for the real world.

Yes, I agree with this also.

How about teaching children how to invest money to make more money.

really, I have been working in offices for the last 100 years, and trust me, other than reading and writinf and basic mathematics, there really was nothing in school that helped me on my job.

I could honestly say that I never said, oh wow, i remember learning that in grade X, wow this is so helpful to my job....

you be surprised at how many people have not a clue on how to balance a check book.

I taught my sons how to do it and how to make money stretch. we played a game with salary, monthly bills, check books all with "monopoly money". For 3 months (I have 3 boys), each month a different son was responsible for the monthly expenses.
they had fun and it was a good learning experience.

especially when my son would say No, Papa, you cant have any more work boots, it is not in the budget this month...LOL, true story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates