Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

My personal background, career and hobby interests have all combined to provide me with a much stronger-than-average exposure to the workings of our transportation and distribution sustems. Unfortunately, with the exception of an occasional "lip service" article about our "decaying infrastuture" I have found this not to be the case for the general public.

Let me begin with a short introduction. I hold an undergraduate degree in Business Logistics, and my 40-year career has included front-line operating exposure to both the rail- and motor-freight industry, plus work in two integrated warehouse and distribution centers. My "2nd trick op" screeen name is a reference to a stint as a "block operator" or signalman -- a craft which disappeared over the past fifteen years as technology permitted the railroads to centralize and concentrate all dispatching and communication.

Since 2002, I have been a participant in a small group of perhaps 20-50 individuals who discuss issues common to railroading -- both passenger and freight. Our number includes operating railroaders, hobbysts, academics, government employees who deal with the industry, industrial shippers, and others. I'm pretty sure that those on the periphery of the highway and airline indistries similarly communicate among themselves, but there is little interchange between the industry-centered groups, nor is there much input from the traveling and shipping public.

My goal here is to get an increasingy feminized and cosmopolitan audience to look beond the occasional newapaper article or 2-minute TV feature about our "crumbling higways and bridges" -- the facts are far more complex; highway repair is a non-profit industry, the private freight railroads are on the soundest economic footing they've known in almost a century, the trucking industry re-invented itself in the 1980's with nobody watching, and certain ciites and states have developed successful mass-transit systems -- while public transportation has dried up in much of rural America.

Ladies and gentlemen, please contribute.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-08-2012 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates