Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
It seems like in the U.S. foreign cars are the cars that mean "I've arrived". All of the yuppies drive Subaru's, Hondas, entry level BMW's,etc.....

It seems like American cars represent blue collar and working class folks. I wonder if all the people complaining about losing jobs to China drive American made cars?

Does driving American made cars equal poor/blue collar?
Well considering Subaru, Honda, and BMW makes cars in the US it's not so cut and dry these days My first car was a Subaru made in Indiana. My current car is a Ford made in Michigan. My Subaru cost me $3000 and my Ford cost me $15,000, so I'd say I'm moving on up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Quote:
Hi TheHitman--

Yes and no.

This city used to be home to no fewer than five GM plants, providing tens of thousands of jobs not only directly but also indirectly through parts suppliers such as Delphi (also thousands of jobs). Most GM plants actually had parking specifically for "GM cars only" which meant you could park up front if you drove a Chevy, but not a Honda.

Secondly, the employees received generous discounts on GM cars - I've heard stories of people that could buy one with an employee's discount, drive it for a year (which was as often as an employee could get the discount), and then still sell it for more than what they paid for it. Family members also get that discount, too. Even now you can get $4,000 off a Malibu or other midsize car if you're a GM guy. Thus the field was heavily tilted in favor of GM cars.

Of course, that was back then. Now, Delphi's bankrupt and GM left town. The last GM plant closed in 2009, and the workers were frozen out of the recovery because they were represented by the IUE-CWA instead of the UAW. All UAW plants in the US (including the Lordstown Assembly, which gave us cars such as the Vega, Chevette, and Cavalier) are operating at full speed and UAW workers have their jobs back. Not so with other union workers.

So now they're unemployed (read: poor) and still driving the same GM cars (which they can't afford to replace).

Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
This is an ignorant question..

Why would it mean blue collar?
i know several millionaires that drive up beat up american made cars.. why? Because they work hard for their money and aren't trying to impress some in debt wanna be.
Basically because the vehicle still functions just fine and they like it.

I know a lot of "blue" collar that live pay check to pay check and drive expensive cars to "impress" those that judge them on what car they drive or what purse they have.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
I don't think American vs. foreign cars indicates anything about white/blue collar or income. However, the age of the owner could play a big role in the type of cars that someone is willing to buy.

I grew up at a time when American cars were vastly inferior compared to the cars from Japanese automakers. The American auto industry was churning out crap and resting on their laurels. The junk that I saw from the American makers turned me off forever and I would never even consider buying an American vehicle. The only people of similar age that I know driving American cars either get substantial employee discounts or are union members and peer pressure is a major factor. Very few people that I know would voluntarily buy an American car and even hate to get them as a rental.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 PM

266 posts, read 402,805 times
1. Since when do "yuppies" drive Subarus?! Or am I missing something...
2. Really it's mostly German cars that attract the type of people I think you're referring to. Not everyone (like myself) is included in this, but I know a lot of people buy Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. for their badges. Others drive them for the power of German engineering, of course
3. Some white collar folks may be driving an older car because it is fully paid off, so why get a new one? You just never know. Lesson of the day: cars are not reliable enough indicators of someone's collar color

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
It seems like in the U.S. foreign cars are the cars that mean "I've arrived". All of the yuppies drive Subaru's, Hondas, entry level BMW's,etc.....

It seems like American cars represent blue collar and working class folks. I wonder if all the people complaining about losing jobs to China drive American made cars?

It depends. I don't think it is really "American cars" vs "foreign cars" but specific which type of American car or foreign car.

If you drive a Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator, or a Ford Escape, there aren't any connotations to be working class. Of course there is alot of prestige behind getting a brand new BMW or a brand new Mercedes. However, with American cars, it has more to do with what brand of car you get, and what type. Like I said before. If you get a Lincoln Navigator or a Cadillac, it will be associated with being relatively wealthy, or at least being successful. If you get a Ford Ranger, or any American-made pickup truck, it will be associated with blue-collar and working class people. Same goes for an old model Ford Explorer or some of the older Conversion vans.

On foreign cars. Of course a Subaru, BMW, or the new Hondas will get alot of prestige. However, if you drive a Toyota Tundra or a Nissan Frontier, it will be associated with blue collar/working class people. Why? Because they are pickup trucks. Pickups are associated with the working class.

In short, the kinds of American cars that get associated with the working class are mainly Fords and Chevrolets, and more specifically, the pickup trucks. The slogans such as "Like a Rock", and "Built Ford Tough" target more to blue collar audiences.

The foreign cars that are associated with the working class are pickup trucks of any make/model.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Why would driving American cars mean poor/blue collar, vs. a cheap Honda? Aren't certain makes of Honda and Toyota known as budget vehicles? Not to mention buying them used. Compared to a Cadillac, Chrysler or Lincoln? Really? What??

These days Toyotas are American-made, aren't they? Toyota employs American auto workers. The reason Americans turned to Japanese cars in the first place was that American manufacturers instituted a manufacturing policy called "planned obsolescence". They built their cars to give out after 10 years; either the transmission would go, or the engine would. The idea was to force Americans to buy new cars every 10 years, so the manufacturers would be able to sell more cars. When the media exposed this, the public ran to Japanese auto vendors in droves. I'm told that planned obsolescence is no longer the policy, but I wouldn't trust a US-model car except for Saturn.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:03 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:

No, but foreign cars mean more reliable transportation. So, people with money will look at this first. They are also more expensive.

Ford lately has gone from being in the Top Ten of most reliable cars,to now being the second to last out of all cars. ( 60% of Ford-branded models and 50% of Lincolns were below average in predicted reliability, and none placed above average ). Most American cars are average or below, except a Cadillac that had won the first place for reliability thanks to their CTS Coupe.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I drive a 2010 BMW 750 IL and my wife drives a Chevy Cruze.
We drive what we like.
We like both, we drive both.
Then you must be rich and your wife poor! Blue poor.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
My wife has a brand new little Fiat Panda. While in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, we saw a big Cadillac in a car park. I thought it was one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates