Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times

Advertisements

Is it acceptable to send small, mentally undeveloped children to schools that teach religion as a full subject and as an explanation for life?

I do not think so. I am from Ontario, Canada. In my city we have a catholic schoolboard that is open to any enrolment. I went to one elementary school from senior kindergarten to the eighth grade (right before high school), and it was extremely dodgey. I had a french teacher come in wearing shirts pushing anti-abortion, was never taught about any other religions, no overview of evolution, and was questioned and forced to fill out an application to a catholic highschool when I was in my graduating year (I registered to a normal highschool).

I do not believe that this is okay. Children have developing minds, and anything less than complete facts should be presented as a belief, and debatable. Critical thinking is important, and this is not a fair way of encouraging it. I'm not harping on catholics or christians, but please do not drag other people in to your beliefs. Even if you as a parent are in tune with the school's beliefs, it is irresponsible to force a new individual on to them without any options for alternative philosophy.

I don't know if I've ever heard anyone talk about this before, so I'm interested in hearing where this goes.

Keep it civil, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Is it acceptable to send small, mentally undeveloped children to schools that teach religion as a full subject and as an explanation for life?

I do not think so. I am from Ontario, Canada. In my city we have a catholic schoolboard that is open to any enrolment. I went to one elementary school from senior kindergarten to the eighth grade (right before high school), and it was extremely dodgey. I had a french teacher come in wearing shirts pushing anti-abortion, was never taught about any other religions, no overview of evolution, and was questioned and forced to fill out an application to a catholic highschool when I was in my graduating year (I registered to a normal highschool).

I do not believe that this is okay. Children have developing minds, and anything less than complete facts should be presented as a belief, and debatable. Critical thinking is important, and this is not a fair way of encouraging it. I'm not harping on catholics or christians, but please do not drag other people in to your beliefs. Even if you as a parent are in tune with the school's beliefs, it is irresponsible to force a new individual on to them without any options for alternative philosophy.

I don't know if I've ever heard anyone talk about this before, so I'm interested in hearing where this goes.

Keep it civil, please.
Well, in the United States, religious-schools are privately owned and operated and generally don't receive government funding to run. (There are ways around this, of course, but in general...).

From what I just briefly read, Canada operates in a similar fashion.

Do I think it's right that student minds are corrupted by religion while they're trying to learn factual information? No--but it's a parents right to destroy their childrens minds. Religious indoctrination doesn't risk the health or safety of a child, so I can't generally support government interference until that happens. The child will just have to grow up being lied to.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
What does "acceptable" mean? Legal? Yes.

You have never "heard anyone talk about this before"? Where have you been?

Religion is culturally and socially propagated. That's why some countries are predominantly Hindu, some are Muslim, some are Christian, etc.

If you don't like it, there isn't much you can do about it.

No one is forcing your (or someone else's) kids to be brainwashed at a religious school. (At least in the US and Canada.)

Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The child will just have to grow up being lied to.
Most likely lied to. It is possible (meaning it hasn't been yet proved impossible) that everything in the Bible is true.

Bill Nye, Creationism is Highly Appropriate for our Children - YouTube

Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Most likely lied to. It is possible (meaning it hasn't been yet proved impossible) that everything in the Bible is true.

Bill Nye, Creationism is Highly Appropriate for our Children - YouTube
People don't turn into pillars of salt. Genesis is resoundingly factually incorrect. If a religious school is teaching a literalistic interpretation of Genesis, they're lying to the children. I'm--excited--to see that video (work--no volume )

Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
What can you do?..they're out there...some people will purposefully seek this type of school out so their children WILL be indoctrinated into christian religious beliefs, others will purposefully seek out a school that does not have religious affiliations, ..I personally would want my children in a school that teaches basic reading and arithmetic, and let them decide whether they will embrace a religion, or not, when they are older, and have the cognizance to make up their OWN minds on what they choose to believe.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
What can you do?..they're out there...some people will purposefully seek this type of school out so their children WILL be indoctrinated into christian religious beliefs, others will purposefully seek out a school that does not have religious affiliations, ..I personally would want my children in a school that teaches basic reading and arithmetic, and let them decide whether they will embrace a religion, or not, when they are older, and have the cognizance to make up their OWN minds on what they choose to believe.
Ever hear about the crisis in home-schooling in the United States? It's overwhelmingly far-right conservative Creationists, so most of the text-books available and sold for "home-school" are basically indoctrination programs. Most text-books sold to public schools aren't sold individually, but only has bulk units to schools.

So people who aren't crazy have trouble finding good textbooks and teaching materials aimed at more progressive and neutral topics and subjects.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Most people (atheists, the religious, and folks in between) don't know there is a difference among religions. The original poster is asking about Catholic schools, not fundamentalist Christian or fundamentalist Muslim schools. The religions are different and so therefore are the schools.

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that believing in evolution is OK, and that many chapters in the Bible including Genesis are allegorical rather than historical. That having been said, individual people calling themselves Catholic may have a fundamentalist belief in the Bible, especially Genesis.

In my view, Catholic schools are "acceptable" in every way you can imagine. My 9th and 12th graders go to Catholic school.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Ever hear about the crisis in home-schooling in the United States? It's overwhelmingly far-right conservative Creationists,
Actually I've heard that a lot of wealthy progressives who can afford to have Mom stay home, are homeschooling now. I read that in the National Review, so you probably missed it!
https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/a.../last-radicals

Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Actually I've heard that a lot of wealthy progressives who can afford to have Mom stay home, are homeschooling now. I read that in the National Review, so you probably missed it!
https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/a.../last-radicals
Like I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates