Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
I'm really shocked at the amount of hate/disrespect towards only children. Some claim that an only child is spoiled, selfish, lonely, weird etc. However, there are plenty of people with siblings who fit these traits as well. Why pick on only children?
I have never heard this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I only have one child. Just had a miscarriage at 15 weeks

I sure hope my child wont be hated for being alone...
Sorry for your loss ((HUGS)).

I'm an only child. I never noticed the "hate" but I have gotten the "you must be spoiled" comments. I just tell them I'm not. I am introverted though.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Who are you hanging out with? I'm an only child and have never had anyone hate or disrespect me for that reason. Some only children are spoiled, and that may be because it's the ONLY child that couple could have so they are very thankful and turn that thanks to being very giving to the child.
Selfish and lonely- maybe that's the outside perspective. Only children learn to be more independent and able to occupy themselves, they don't 'need' the company of others.
Same here. I have no idea what OP is talking about. Sometimes people view a single occurence as the only reality for the entire world, so who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Jeez, where did this come from. Now, don't get me wrong, I can understand the animosity if the only child were a ginger, and lacked a soul, but otherwise, I haven't heard anything to imply this is an issue.
My sarcasmometer just pegged.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Never heard of this either...

Most of the only children that I know are very smart, outgoing, accomplished people with lots of friends. Only children usually do get more attention and maybe thats why they are smarter and more confident.

The people that you know that hate only children must be jealous!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
My husband and I have no children yet, but I'm a one-'n-done girl. One's enough for me. I quit telling people though because I get a lecture on how spoiled and self-centered onlies are. I usually respond with "thanks" because I was raised like an only (sister is 16 years older and never visited). Usually the people who comment are multiples though. Onlies, in my experience, rarely criticize people for having onlies.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM

526 posts, read 898,488 times
if anything, I've only heard of pity for an only child

Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM

12 posts, read 31,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
I'm really shocked at the amount of hate/disrespect towards only children. Some claim that an only child is spoiled, selfish, lonely, weird etc. However, there are plenty of people with siblings who fit these traits as well. Why pick on only children?
Most think 'onliers' never had to settle for something less cause they were always given the best. I have 2 brothers and 1 sister with a cop and teacher as parents. One Christmas, we got one big item (Nintendo set), and 1 small one (cassette walkman...lol years ago) for that is all my parents could afford. We didn't care some onliers got the same Nintendo set, a CD versus tape walkman and a handheld gameboy...cause they shared. Some kids get jealous over not getting the best stuff or always having to share their junk with bro/sis...they end up all the items you mentioned they say onliers are, "spoiled, selfish, lonely, weird etc.". I tell those types of folks, "you must sell plenty of fish at the market?!"...say wha?? lol, they never get it...sell+fish...as the airplane flies over.

And those that deny ever hearing this...they are at the fish market for lol this is always mentioned in southern US.

Last edited by ULLArchitect; 01-22-2013 at 09:02 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
This is undoubtedly one of the sillier threads (trolls) on CD -- Come on OP, fess-up; Was this just the strangest thing you could think of? (you've tweaked our curiosity).

Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
I'm an only child and I'm the most independent and over achieving of my friends. That is apparently a thing for only children. When put into groups of people, we are the slowest to "click" with others but we end up leading the group.

As a child, I never wanted any siblings. I had enough friends that were and still are my surrogate siblings. I never feel "hated".

Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
my son is not spoiled at all...by me and my husband anyways. Now, the grandparents and aunts and uncles is another story..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates