Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times

Advertisements

I am a woman -I have always been one; but one who had the privilege of NOT having grown up in a society brainwashed by feminist absurdities.
So I sometimes find myself wondering how can people, men or women, take for granted this crazy idea that women should always support other women regardless of what issue is at stake.

I saw this idea circulated all over the place in western societies. I was reminded of it because I was just reading something about some singer, Taylor Swift, who supposedly got mad at two comediennes for having dared to make some light joke about her love life when...according to her, "women should always support other women"!!.
From such trifle exchanges to serious debates over the economic role of working parents vs. stay-ay-home parents in contemporary society, which are taboo among American women because any rational arguments might spark "animosity" among the two categories...the "women should always support other women" has become an unwritten and unquestioned rule.

Why would I support any kind of human being, man or woman, whose actions/ways etc. I know to be wrong? How in the world can this absurdity fly around unchecked?

I thought a person of character, whether man or woman, was to stand up or argue for what is right, what is moral, true or ethical. Not for "femaleness" or "maleness" - just because they happen to have the same gender. I never signed up to be part of some "universal female gang".

I do understand that historically speaking, and on average, women have had fewer economic and legal privileges than men. Also, my closest relationships, except for my husband, are indeed with women (sister, mother).
But that doesn't mean I will join some universal sorority and see ALL women as immune from any sort of criticism, regardless of what they do.

Last edited by syracusa; 03-06-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I would support a MALE over the likes of a FEMALE like Palin or Backman.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I would support a MALE over the likes of a FEMALE like Palin or Backman.
You would hope.

But when politics are not that visible...there is this "thing" floating up in the air implying that if you're a woman, you should support and experience solidarity with ALL other women, regardless of the kind of crap they do, argue for, stand for, etc.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You would hope.

But when politics are not that visible...there is this "thing" floating up in the air implying that if you're a woman, you should support and experience solidarity with ALL other women, regardless of the kind of crap they do, argue for, stand for, etc.
I've never been taught that, and I grew up in liberal regions (DC & SF metros) with liberal parents... so if anyone would be - in your words - taught those "feminist absurdities" it would be someone like me. I mean, there's whatever you call the female version of a "bro code," but I thought that only applied to your FRIENDS; not women in general. If I disagree with a woman, I will say so loudly and unafraid.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,610 times
I agree we should be each others cheerleader.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:

Why would I support any kind of human being, man or woman, whose actions/ways etc. I know to be wrong? How in the world can this absurdity fly around unchecked?.
Where are you getting this misinformation that anyone is expecting you to?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Why would I support any kind of human being, man or woman, whose actions/ways etc. I know to be wrong? How in the world can this absurdity fly around unchecked?
On the internet, it's easy to jump to the wrong conclusion -- and I'm thinking here of the parenting thread that inspired this new discussion. Without rehashing that thread, let me just say I don't believe that other women (and men) deserve unconditional support, but I do believe they deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially here in cyberspace.

A quote to which I'm very partial makes the point that the greatest threat to progress is not ignorance, but rather the illusion of knowledge, and that seems to play out here at C-D regularly. We all like to play at being the expert, and unfortunately it rarely benefits the person who came on-line looking for advice.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-06-2013 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I never heard it until Sarah Palin, at one of her vice-presidental rallies, misquoted Madeline Albright that:" 'There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't support other women.'"

Actually, Albright did not say that. The accurate quote of Albright's is, "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't help other women."

Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
On the internet, it's easy to jump to the wrong conclusion -- and I'm thinking here of the parenting thread that inspired this new discussion. Without rehashing that thread, let me just say I don't believe that other women deserve unconditional support, but I do believe they deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially here in cyberspace.

A quote to which I'm very partial makes the point that the greatest threat to progress is not ignorance, but rather the illusion of knowledge, and that seems to play out here at C-D regularly. We all like to play at being the expert, and unfortunately it rarely benefits the person who came on-line looking for advice.
People are thoroughly misguided if they think lives should be lived based on "expert advice"...and they are downright insane if they think expert advice can be found on forums. To ask about where you can find x kind of food in your new city is a great thing to ask about on a forum like CD. Maybe even casually check to see what some people think about a certain way of doing things. As in "test public opinion".
But you need to not forget that grain of salt when you do this.

However, to ask about how to live your life and then take mass opinion seriously....this is very, very sad.

Forums provide a space for discussion, debates, conversation, bouncing ideas off of each other. At the end of the day, you still need to live your life based on YOUR OWN VALUES - not based on "expert advice". Even the most scientific-looking expert advice is not agenda-free or without political influences.

Moreover, if you really feel lonely and need life advice, the best kind is provided by people close to you, who know you personally, and who have your best interest at heart. (This is usually family and much more rarely today, a trusted and loyal friend).
Not by masses on a forum.

Now back to the "women should support women no matter what" topic.

As you can see, I am not asking for advice. Just contemplating over how irrational this way of thinking is, which is why I posted it on the GD section..and not on the Parenting section where women who no longer have a life or any trusted people in it...come to ask "cyber-sisters" how to live their lives.

I don't think so.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Moreover, if you really feel lonely and need life advice, the best kind is provided by people close to you, who know you personally, and who have your best interest at heart. (This is usually family and much more rarely today, a trusted and loyal friend). Not by masses on a forum.
We are in complete agreement about this, which is why I visit the forums sparingly and never, ever ask for advice on personal matters. My family and friends know me well and assume the best of me. Those in cyberspace? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates