Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this the other day while out on a date with this girl, why prostitution in the US is illegal? In countries like the Germany, the practice is regulated, taxed and workers tested regularly. Not saying everything gets caught, and I'm sure some stuff (STDs, Drugs, etc) slip through the cracks; but it is a lot safer and cleaner than say the corner of 34th St and Main in Anytown, USA where a "john" is more likely to get robbed, pick up a STD and/or killed.

People are going to do this anyway and as a man, you are going to pay for a women regardless. Whether it is buying your "wife" jewelry every year, or taking a new GF out to dinners and "courting" her, so why in the oso "free" country of America is this still illegal and not regulated and taxed? Insights always welcome. Thanks

In addition to the above, it would be easier to catch human traffickers if you had to register your business and just like the marijuana trade, stop the cartels so to speak. I think deep down I know the answer (its because the DOJ and all these police entities want to keep their jobs so they keep stuff illegal that they can "crack down" on it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:51 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
The US is still deeply embedded with a prude-ish mentality. Do you know how wonderful it feels to lay naked out on a beach? Nope, because its viewed as immoral. Everything in this Country still has to pass the "is it Christian" test.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Yeah, for being such a "free" country, there's still an amazing amount of ambivalence about "sexuality" and even "pleasure" in general (just look at our drug laws, among others). And we blame it on the "Puritans", but somehow it seems to run deeper than that.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The US is still deeply embedded with a prude-ish mentality. Do you know how wonderful it feels to lay naked out on a beach? Nope, because its viewed as immoral. Everything in this Country still has to pass the "is it Christian" test.

I agree. I would support legal prostitution. It is after all the oldest proffession in the world. Now don't get me wrong, I personally would not partake in it, and if someone is that desperate for sex that they have to pay for it, then rock on! Legalizing it would certainly reduce the sex slave trade, and involvement of children.

To your second point about lying naked on a beach. I don't understand why people are so ashamed of the human body?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It's almost not illegal.

There has to be a way to get streetwalkers from parading around in certain neighborhoods and outside schools and where they make a nuisance of themselves.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
Prostitution is just a misdemeanor in most places around the US.

It first became illegal when the US was going through a phase where politics was very moralized. Prostitution was viewed as "icky" and there was an additional moral crusade to save the prostitutes from such an "icky" business. Like most prohibitions, though, criminalizing prostitution didn't deter everyone from it.

Now I think it's mainly just illegal because our politicians have too many other concerns to sit down and think about how to write up legislation that would regulate and decriminalize prostitution.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Prostitution is just a misdemeanor in most places around the US.

It first became illegal when the US was going through a phase where politics was very moralized. Prostitution was viewed as "icky" and there was an additional moral crusade to save the prostitutes from such an "icky" business. Like most prohibitions, though, criminalizing prostitution didn't deter everyone from it.

Now I think it's mainly just illegal because our politicians have too many other concerns to sit down and think about how to write up legislation that would regulate and decriminalize prostitution.

I'm willing to bet some of our politicians are the biggest offenders.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:41 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's almost not illegal.

There has to be a way to get streetwalkers from parading around in certain neighborhoods and outside schools and where they make a nuisance of themselves.
Getting hookers off the streets is as simple as legalizing prostitution. Once something is illegal you can regulate it. As long as it is illegal, it's free market, Mal, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:52 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I was thinking about this the other day while out on a date with this girl, why prostitution in the US is illegal? In countries like the Germany, the practice is regulated, taxed and workers tested regularly. Not saying everything gets caught, and I'm sure some stuff (STDs, Drugs, etc) slip through the cracks; but it is a lot safer and cleaner than say the corner of 34th St and Main in Anytown, USA where a "john" is more likely to get robbed, pick up a STD and/or killed.

People are going to do this anyway and as a man, you are going to pay for a women regardless. Whether it is buying your "wife" jewelry every year, or taking a new GF out to dinners and "courting" her, so why in the oso "free" country of America is this still illegal and not regulated and taxed? Insights always welcome. Thanks

In addition to the above, it would be easier to catch human traffickers if you had to register your business and just like the marijuana trade, stop the cartels so to speak. I think deep down I know the answer (its because the DOJ and all these police entities want to keep their jobs so they keep stuff illegal that they can "crack down" on it).

good question.

For me, personally, I regard it as a sin and frown upon the idea.

HOWEVER, we allow men to have a " mistress" and foot her bills in exchange for sex and see nothing illegal in it.

When you read about some of the famous rich men in their 70's or 80's with wives in their 20's and 30's I guess prostitution is legal . You just have to know the loopholes.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:26 AM

643 posts, read 917,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, for being such a "free" country, there's still an amazing amount of ambivalence about "sexuality" and even "pleasure" in general (just look at our drug laws, among others). And we blame it on the "Puritans", but somehow it seems to run deeper than that.
On the real. The conservative people in this country really want to shield everyone from basic human instinct. But back to OP, it should be legalized and regulated and offered within brothels, much like its already done in parts of Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates