Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:51 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I think I am going to have to go against the popular sentiments in favor of prostitution on this thread, and advocate for the less-popular position of continuing to ban prostitution. Why? Because everyone who is a prostitute is also somebody's mother, daughter, sister, etc. Prostitution dehumanizes and reduces people into being mere intimate objects, to be used for others' pleasure. Prostitution is the natural and obvious antithesis of having true, genuine romantic love and affection, for someone. The ultimate test is that if someone truly wants to love and be loved, prostitution is not the answer, and is not the solution to the natural longing for love in the human heart, that all of us have and need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Sorry, but I think I am going to have to go against the popular sentiments in favor of prostitution on this thread, and advocate for the less-popular position of continuing to ban prostitution. Why? Because everyone who is a prostitute is also somebody's mother, daughter, sister, etc. Prostitution dehumanizes and reduces people into being mere intimate objects, to be used for others' pleasure. Prostitution is the natural and obvious antithesis of having true, genuine romantic love and affection, for someone. The ultimate test is that if someone truly wants to love and be loved, prostitution is not the answer, and is not the solution to the natural longing for love in the human heart, that all of us have and need.

It's not something I would partake in. But, you cannot legislate morality. In the end, nobody forces one to find a career in prostitution, and nobody forces one to seek out a prostitute. What two consenting adults so long as there is no harm or violence, is between the two individuals and the MAN upstairs.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:12 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times
Because it is a "profession" that preys on and dehumanizes/objectifies people. What type of people? The weak, poor, and ignorant who are in one way or another lured into it despite the fact that prostitution can have devastating long- and short-term effects.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
I find it odd that some people on here have the idea that ONLY women are prostitutes....... Men can and do sell their bodies for money. Happens all the time, in every part of the world, including the USA.

For the USA to legalise prostitution will require a huge social change, in the way that Americans think about sexual acts.

I'm not holding my breath, for that to happen.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
On the real. The conservative people in this country really want to shield everyone from basic human instinct. But back to OP, it should be legalized and regulated and offered within brothels, much like its already done in parts of Nevada.
Yeah and even in NV, prostitution is still technically illegal in all but the most isolated counties. And though I agree with some others that it is a pretty de-humanizing thang… so are a lot of other lines of work! In fact it may sound counter-intuitive, but if anything, banning prostitution simply re-enforces the notion that all women are a sort of commodity with only "one special thing" to offer, and it has to be "regulated" outside of marriage!

Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM

643 posts, read 918,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
If women (or men) are going to prostitute themselves regardless, how does this argument make any sense? Might as well make it as safe as possible and get some revenue in the process.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Any ban only increases demand.
Any ban only makes a forbidden fruit more desired and, as result, more EXPENSIVE. Look at drugs. As in - narcotics.
All any ban does is creating a black market and blown up prices. Those then trickle into you know whose hands. And they likely have much less profit from legalized whatever is banned, than from have it black marketed.
Don't forget, kids, it's all about money. No matter how puritan the verbiage covering it is.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,269 times
I think it's because America is much more conservative than most western countries. When you think about it most of the Middle East and Africa is more conservative than the US but outside of those regions the US is much more conservative than it's counterparts. It's interesting to observe the people's views in a country like Uruguay which is extremely liberal socially and they give no second though of prostitution being legal, they seem to have the perspective of "it is what it is."

Old 12-13-2013, 12:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Any ban only increases demand.
Any ban only makes a forbidden fruit more desired and, as result, more EXPENSIVE. Look at drugs. As in - narcotics.
All any ban does is creating a black market and blown up prices. Those then trickle into you know whose hands. And they likely have much less profit from legalized whatever is banned, than from have it black marketed.
Don't forget, kids, it's all about money. No matter how puritan the verbiage covering it is.

In short... prohibition is a failure. History has shown us this to be true. Of course, we never learn.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Two consenting adults should be allowed to exchange money for sexual gratification. At least that is my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates