Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times

Advertisements

Think about this.

Technology is the application of information, information processes and the ability to communicate. Basically applied science.

Genetics are a set of information processes so in essence technology is inherent in all biology.

You cannot pick and choose truths or information that is truth, that helps us understand the Universe. To say you do not like truth and knowledge is equivalent to you saying you do not like technology.

I understand some people are using the term loosely so yes I agree that some technology is not useful, such as ..... I have trouble finding an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
A person who is active in the real world can take their cell phone and computer and toss them out the window and they would survive. The truth of the matter would be that the person free of technology in the end will surpass all those who are hooked on it. Nothing like eye to eye communication or flesh on flesh contract though a handshake or embrace. Technology offers a path of lest resistance. It is easy to "pretend" that your life is relevant through technology - it is a lazy artificial way of living. In reality technology is an evil illusion.
Technology is as simple as speech. You and I have to agree on the definitions of words in order to communicate clearly, can you get rid of that? Move somewhere where you don't know the language, and leave your translater at home.....

Old 04-13-2013, 09:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times
I think that I sometimes find myself rejecting it in someways. I hate to have to do little things like figure out how to buy and sell on Ebay. And if my computer screws up I really hate having to deal with it. I like the simpler old world when all the numbers you had to remember were your social security number, telephone number, and your locker padlock number. But those days are gone forever.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
NEVER - ever take this crap seriously. Never believe that technology is the answer to life or provides a better life..Never fall into the trap. When you hear the term hardware...You know we are talking real world things...When you hear the word "software" - You know that it is softer than air and is a fantasy. This new thing is BS...I know it- and you know it.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
You know, in the middle of replying to your post my pc shut down without warning to install an update from windows. Where I work I am on and off a pc all day. Our department/organization is constantly installing new programs/updates to keep "current". Once one becomes accustomed to and adept with one, BOOM!! now we have to re-learn the 2.1 version or the 3.1 version of what we were using. Good grief!!! Can we stop at some point and be happy with what we have. Unless you are a "techie" or computer "geek" (NO insult intended) you can't keep up. I hear complaints all day long and when the system crashes, and it does on occasion, you have to go to the old standby of pen and paper, you can't stop because peoples lives are at stake. Yes, personally I think technology is coming too fast, to much, and in too many places for many. Even new TVs have to be "programmed" before you can watch them. And why can't someone insist on "STANDARDIZING" things like this so that when you purchase a new tv it is the same process to programming it as the old one. Even the p.c. that I am writing this on I only use about 25% of. That is because after reading the owners manual it doesn't tell you squat about using all of the applications availible. To obtain info, I have to log on ans, yes, go to the manufacturers web site. My wife is finding that in her knitting magazines instead of giving her a pattern in the mag, they refer her to.....a website. When I retire I want an electronic typewriter, a simple radio, no cell phone or I-pod or internet, a T.V. that is simple to operate and read a hold-in-your-hands real book! (I have most of these now). To answer your question....YES!!!

Last edited by DauntlessDan; 04-14-2013 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Some other uninvited force crawls into my laptop and makes the decision to change my E-mail format. I am used to the original- it is good enough for me the way it is. What right has Microsoft got jerk my chain and force me to accept their NEW set up?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Technology is as simple as speech. You and I have to agree on the definitions of words in order to communicate clearly, can you get rid of that? Move somewhere where you don't know the language, and leave your translater at home.....
Technology or digital communication to make it more clear...has an existence that is NOT necessary. We did without if for thousands of years. I really thought when computers came into being that the application of these devices might be used to say - distribute food and save the world from starvation...Instead the technology turned into a means of entertainment and a product where planned obsolecence is part of marketing.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easherly View Post
Today's technology contributes to convenience and instant gratification for sure. What it does for each of us personally, in terms of intellect, entertainment, and socializing, I feel is debateable.
That is true. Thirty years ago if you were a musician and wanted to record in a 24 track analog recording studio you would have to pay about 40 bucks an hour. Now I see my kid who has an excellent high capacity computer- with a good multi-track recording program and a few high quality recording microphones you can generate broad cast quality music....for FREE.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 PM

BUT: Regarding the recording of original music - less and less people are impressed with the magic that was once created in the recording studio...The average young kid now understands the process and has access to the process of multi-track recording...also with the net - everyone with a bit of talent is presenting themselves - so technology has ruined the music business because everyone is now a star and there is no such thing as mechanical royalties.

It has gone back to the old days - Musicians present on the net then they have to go on the road and tour to make money. I see it on my street - The Opera House usually has a tour bus parked near and the tickets to catch an act are very expensive...Technology has force musician to become traveling minstrels again...it's the only way they can make money.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:21 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times
a good example of being overwhelmed is todays automobiles. In the old days a lot of the problems encountered could be fixed by someone other than a mechanic with a scope. I went through everything with my old pickup so when a problem occurred I knew just where it was coming from even if I couldn't fix it. Today? the only way to tell what a problem is to have it hooked up to an electronic scope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates