Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

Because cancer is a profit making disease that is why ....Look at all the hospitals that would no longer be in business ...all the oncologists that there would be no need for .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Because cancer is a profit making disease that is why ....Look at all the hospitals that would no longer be in business ...all the oncologists that there would be no need for.
When effective treatment for TB came about, whole hospitals closed.

When the polio vaccine came about, people who treated it could turn their attention to other diseases. The March of Dimes, which helped fund polio research, now funds research on birth defects. Iron lungs are no longer needed, so the manufacturers lost that business.

If we did not need oncologists, oncologists would just practice hematology or some other form of medicine.

You know what? The idea that oncologists want their patients to die because effective treatments would cost them money is just nasty and reflects poorly on those of you who think that way. I know oncologists. I've seen them work. I am amazed more of them do not burn out and leave the field. They care about their patients.

By the way, oncologists do not make money on the drugs they use. Reimbursement barely covers what they pay for them.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
When effective treatment for TB came about, whole hospitals closed.

When the polio vaccine came about, people who treated it could turn their attention to other diseases. The March of Dimes, which helped fund polio research, now funds research on birth defects. Iron lungs are no longer needed, so the manufacturers lost that business.

If we did not need oncologists, oncologists would just practice hematology or some other form of medicine.

You know what? The idea that oncologists want their patients to die because effective treatments would cost them money is just nasty and reflects poorly on those of you who think that way. I know oncologists. I've seen them work. I am amazed more of them do not burn out and leave the field. They care about their patients.

By the way, oncologists do not make money on the drugs they use. Reimbursement barely covers what they pay for them.

Do you really think this way then you my dear dont live in the real world and need to pop that bubble you are living in ...

Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Cancer is not one disease. It is hundreds that share similar basic mechanics at the cellular level. At the systematic level, they look and respond TOTALLY differently. Think of auto-immune diseases. They are similar to cancers in that they are many different diseases that have similar basic cellular mechanics - but they manifest in very different ways. Lupus is different from eczema which is different Sjogren's syndrome. Pancreatic cancer is different from melanoma which is different from leukemias.

You can't cure "cancer" and more than you can cure "auto-immune" disease. That doesn't mean you can't cure individual types of diseases, offer new therapies and protocols, or develop treatments that manage the disease without putting it into remission.

My cancer has likely been cured. Even if I relapse, there are 3 or 4 other rounds of treatment - several of which were not yet available when I was diagnosed 3 years ago. Only 10% of those diagnosed with my cancer overall - without regard to stage, subtype, age, or other health conditions - end up dying from the disease. Since most people with the illness are diagnosed between 15-35, many of us live another 40-60 years! We have real-life survivors who were cured 30 years ago and have gone on to live normal lives!

Cancer is not a virus. It's your own cells gone rogue. That makes it harder to treat than a foreign body.

There are plenty of illnesses for which no cure has been found. Look at the common cold! Some might not ever have a cure. Some cancers may, unfortunately, fall into that category. But technology is changing every day. If people had complained in the 80s or early 90s about why there wasn't a cure for cancer then and withdrew funds, I wouldn't have seen my 25th birthday.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Do you really think this way then you my dear dont live in the real world and need to pop that bubble you are living in ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But technology is changing every day. If people had complained in the 80s or early 90s about why there wasn't a cure for cancer then and withdrew funds, I wouldn't have seen my 25th birthday.
Who's living in the real world?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Who's living in the real world?
I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer shortly after my 23rd birthday, at which point the cancer was so widespread that I had tumorous lymph nodes from my collar bone to my groin, bone involvement in my long bones and spine, and a grapefruit sized tumor in my chest. The chemotherapy that saved my life was developed in the early 90s. I would not have survived more than 6 months without it before the tumors continued to grow and cause me a long, painful death.

How's that for real world?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer shortly after my 23rd birthday, at which point the cancer was so widespread that I had tumorous lymph nodes from my collar bone to my groin, bone involvement in my long bones and spine, and a grapefruit sized tumor in my chest. The chemotherapy that saved my life was developed in the early 90s. I would not have survived more than 6 months without it before the tumors continued to grow and cause me a long, painful death.

How's that for real world?
My son's treatment lasted from February of 1989 to February of 1993 and included intensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy. And here he is, happy and healthy 25 years after diagnosis.

Real world!

Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
There probably IS a cure. The cancer research companies just won't admit a successful cure because they make too much money for it to all end. The piramid of fallouts from lost jobs and research facilities would be devastating to the ecomony in many ways.

This might sound heartless, but if there was no cancer then the world population would explode even more than it already has.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
There probably IS a cure. The cancer research companies just won't admit a successful cure because they make too much money for it to all end. The piramid of fallouts from lost jobs and research facilities would be devastating to the ecomony in many ways.

This might sound heartless, but if there was no cancer then the world population would explode even more than it already has.
Good grief. Read the entire thread. Treatment of infectious diseases has not caused the economy to implode and has saved millions of lives. Your argument is ridiculous.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 PM

251 posts, read 274,072 times
Quote:
cancer is not one disease. It is hundreds that share similar basic mechanics at the cellular level. At the systematic level, they look and respond totally differently. Think of auto-immune diseases. They are similar to cancers in that they are many different diseases that have similar basic cellular mechanics - but they manifest in very different ways. Lupus is different from eczema which is different sjogren's syndrome. Pancreatic cancer is different from melanoma which is different from leukemias.

You can't cure "cancer" and more than you can cure "auto-immune" disease. That doesn't mean you can't cure individual types of diseases, offer new therapies and protocols, or develop treatments that manage the disease without putting it into remission.

My cancer has likely been cured. Even if i relapse, there are 3 or 4 other rounds of treatment - several of which were not yet available when i was diagnosed 3 years ago. Only 10% of those diagnosed with my cancer overall - without regard to stage, subtype, age, or other health conditions - end up dying from the disease. Since most people with the illness are diagnosed between 15-35, many of us live another 40-60 years! We have real-life survivors who were cured 30 years ago and have gone on to live normal lives!

Cancer is not a virus. It's your own cells gone rogue. That makes it harder to treat than a foreign body.

There are plenty of illnesses for which no cure has been found. Look at the common cold! Some might not ever have a cure. Some cancers may, unfortunately, fall into that category. But technology is changing every day. If people had complained in the 80s or early 90s about why there wasn't a cure for cancer then and withdrew funds, i wouldn't have seen my 25th birthday.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates