Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times

Advertisements

LizardSpock made a really good point. I would also add I wouldn't buy pet food, medicine, or any meat related products from China. I heard about the chicken parts on the news a few months ago. They said they would ship the US raised poultry meat to China where they would make them into frozen chicken nuggets, steaks, etc. and then they would ship it back for Americans to eat. They wanted to make it clear that the chickens weren't raised in China, but in the US and they were just being prepped and packaged there, so hopefully people would not be overly concerned or worried about eating them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
There is now a trend I notice. Does this help lessen reliance on overseas economies? Do you notice the products are made better, last better or are of better quality? The reality still seems to be we depend on a lot of cheaply made products in developing countries like China that many still say is a trend that won't go away any time soon.

It does not matter. Like others, I have very good product made in any country, and cheap s...t poc made in the USA.
I think, from my experiences, Made in the USA was very good quality product, but WAS is the key word. Esp those marked "Solid State". I am still trying to find out what exactly was it, but devices I saw with SS tag on them tended to run forever. But those were, by today standards, old school things. They are long gone.
American cars used to be standard of reliability but so were German. Now both are just the opposite.

It's not the country of origin. It's greed. The very moment "manufacturing by numbers" steps in, quality goes down, as you CAN NOT make a quality product based on "cost efficient" components. No matter what they will try to tell you, it is physically impossible. Cheap is cheap and results in cheap overall end product. That's why there was Apple product and HP product. And that's why they cost accordingly.

2nd facet to this patriotism. Americans feel very offended, as they down in their gut feel that America is quickly slipping down from what it used to be in the world. That hurts. But it is what it is. Hence, buy American is a cheap consolation to make one feel better.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

It's not the country of origin. It's greed. The very moment "manufacturing by numbers" steps in, quality goes down, as you CAN NOT make a quality product based on "cost efficient" components.
How can you suggest country of origin does not factor in alongside greed? If the country of origin had no restrictions upon materials (potentially endangering the consumer) and no union or labor relations (hours, salary, abuses) oversight for the factory workers, what guarantee is there that a quality product will be produced?
Greedy corporations took advantage of unscrupulous and questionable business practices in the country of origin. Had China placed all the standards and regulations upon their businesses that the US had imposed upon ours, we wouldn't be inundated with cheap MIC products.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Funny thing is Patron isn't even from Mexico! It was branded in 1989 by Paul Mitchell yeah that Paul Mitchell.

Its a trendy name made to appeal to the young Hollywood & club culture crowd. Nothing more nothing less.

While it may be bottled in Mexico to look authentic its not a true Mexican Tequila like Jose Cuervo is which has been around since the turn of the 17th century.

If you as an American went to Mexico & asked for Patron they would probably laugh at you or at the very least know you don't know your top shelf Tequila brands people in Latin America drink.
Don't care what the locals drink. I'm not going to mexico in the forseeable future. I know it's John Paul DeJoria . It's made in Mexico, It's very good. I wouldn't care if Ru Paul owns it. I'm sure Europeans don't seek out Bud and Miller as examples of fine authentic American beers.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 01-04-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
LizardSpock made a really good point. I would also add I wouldn't buy pet food, medicine, or any meat related products from China. I heard about the chicken parts on the news a few months ago. They said they would ship the US raised poultry meat to China where they would make them into frozen chicken nuggets, steaks, etc. and then they would ship it back for Americans to eat. They wanted to make it clear that the chickens weren't raised in China, but in the US and they were just being prepped and packaged there, so hopefully people would not be overly concerned or worried about eating them.
Call me naive but I cannot understand how it is so much less expensive to ship a chicken across an ocean, twice, just to make nuggets out of it, than it would be to nuggetize it here.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Default Chicken Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Call me naive but I cannot understand how it is so much less expensive to ship a chicken across an ocean, twice, just to make nuggets out of it, than it would be to nuggetize it here.
You are not naive - that's a very good question. I've tried to find out more but they seem to be saying that it will save money and that's their main line of reasoning, which is kind of hard to believe considering the poultry is going back and forth between two countries and across the ocean twice. It is more worrying when I read that country of origin is not required on the packaging, so that nugget you are eating for lunch could of come from China and you wouldn't even know it.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Even if it does not make much of a difference I try and buy Union made American manufactured products. I just feel better about doing so.

I think we should be practicing the same mercantilism as all our competitors. For example China charges a stiff tariff on American products imported to China so we should return the favor by imposing a tariff to negate the price differences attributable to labor, environmental, government subsidy and other costs to their (including all of the rest of our trade partners) products.

The "Free Trade" under current terms is a bad joke that we pay for so the investors can steal ever more of our wealth.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Even if it does not make much of a difference I try and buy Union made American manufactured products. I just feel better about doing so.

I think we should be practicing the same mercantilism as all our competitors. For example China charges a stiff tariff on American products imported to China so we should return the favor by imposing a tariff to negate the price differences attributable to labor, environmental, government subsidy and other costs to their (including all of the rest of our trade partners) products.

The "Free Trade" under current terms is a bad joke that we pay for so the investors can steal ever more of our wealth.
I agree. This makes me wonder if American owned companies which send their manufacturing to China et. al., should have tariffs imposed on their products?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
It's becoming a global economy. The days of protecting jobs with tariffs is pretty much over. It's sad but true.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
I am a believer that if you expect Americans to buy your products then you should also pay them to manufacture your products.

Unfortunately I think I am the only person who believes in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates