Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times

Advertisements

mrskay. I'm in NOVA also and I hope I drive nowhere in your area. You sound like the definition of a reckless driver. Your explanations of how you justify your driving are pathetic.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
mrskay. I'm in NOVA also and I hope I drive nowhere in your area. You sound like the definition of a reckless driver. Your explanations of how you justify your driving are pathetic.
I hope you don't have one of those "Baby on Board" signs in your car. If so, you might want to consider removing it. I value them at 3 points each.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
^^ I hate Baby on Board stickers as well ("now that I have this people will stop intentionally ramming me"). But to me, this debate is really about the moral issue of somebody who chooses to drive aggressively or recklessly and by doing that creates a more dangerous environment for everybody. Think about your tailgating example. The willingness to tailgate means that you are willing to accept more potential risk then the average driver. In most cases, tailgating won't cause an accident, but that assumes that the unexpected event doesn't occur in in front of the car you are tailgating. If it does, then you have no leeway for corrective behavior and a potentially life threatenting accident is much more will likely to occur than if you were following at a more reasonable distance. So you are forcing your own level of risk acceptance on others, because if you lose the statistical gamble then they will lose as well. I don't have any problem with people engaging in behavior that is only dangerous to themselves, but if others may be affected, than it is definitely not ok.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
^^ I hate Baby on Board stickers as well ("now that I have this people will stop intentionally ramming me"). But to me, this debate is really about the moral issue of somebody who chooses to drive aggressively or recklessly and by doing that creates a more dangerous environment for everybody. Think about your tailgating example. The willingness to tailgate means that you are willing to accept more potential risk then the average driver. In most cases, tailgating won't cause an accident, but that assumes that the unexpected event doesn't occur in in front of the car you are tailgating. If it does, then you have no leeway for corrective behavior and a potentially life threatenting accident is much more will likely to occur than if you were following at a more reasonable distance. So you are forcing your own level of risk acceptance on others, because if you lose the statistical gamble then they will lose as well. I don't have any problem with people engaging in behavior that is only dangerous to themselves, but if others may be affected, than it is definitely not ok.

Well Xeric..

Thank you for your well thought out response. It's almost like... a real discussion.

Funny how that works out.

I respect your views and I will consider them because you have a valid point. I am imposing my risk assessment and acceptance on others.

I'm not sure if that's fair or not.

But I will think about it.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Intentional dangerous disregard for others sharing the road makes me wish I had a flamethrower and that it would be legal to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates