Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
We only need the military because the USA is a wicked place with a wicked history. Costa Rica, does not have a military.
IF you were a big bully, eventually, you'd need personal protection too.

I do not consider VET's to be hero's nor do I believe many of them sign up to "protect" our freedoms.

They sign up because:

1-Free benefits
2-Have no idea what they want to do in life
3- Financially poor and cannot afford to attend a trade school or college.

I don't thank them because they receive benefits for the service, just like a job. If they received no compensation nor benefits of any kind, I would see things differently.

Most military members don't consider themselves to be heroes (the plural of hero is heroes, not hero's, by the way Hero: definition of Hero in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)). They consider themselves to be just plain old military; nothing more, nothing less.

Also, you forgot #4: Retirement checks for the rest of your life! That retirement check each and every month (with pay increases each January) – for the rest of my life – is the only "Thank You" I actually need. Different strokes for different folks.

So, ladies, if you're looking for a good man you should try Uncle Sam (the military). Don't knock it 'til you try it. Carry on .

Old 02-28-2014, 02:50 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3455 View Post
I have long wondered why we often say that we thank the troops for our freedom in America. I am not trying to be disrespectful and I realize that the troops have no say in the decisions made by politicians but I really do not see how any of the military engagements that we have been involved in since WWII have protected our freedoms as Americans.

If anything, our freedoms as Americans are diminished far more by politicians and organizations like the NSA than they are by anyone in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I may be cynical but I feel we enter wars and military actions in order to justify and/or enrich the military-industrial complex and politicians tell us that the reason is to fight for our freedom which is more palatable to the American voting public.

Yes we need the military. Yes we need a STRONG military. Yes we should be grateful to the young men and women willing to sacrifice and serve their country often at great cost.
I just think that pretending a military effort is a fight for American freedom only ensures more needless wars and military engagements.

It's 87% question.
87% of people build their opinion based on what others tell them, aka "herd mentality".
This is very easily abused by those in power, with thing called propaganda.
Basically, someone pitched a slogan, and it's being re-pitched continuously.
That's why.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
The people who served that deserve our thanks and support never truly get it. And they SHOULD.

I get irritated when my brother-in-law, an accountant with the USAF, gets thanked for his "service and sacrifice" when we're out to eat because he's in his BDUs. Seriously? He's barely held a gun. He wields a pen and a keyboard and has done so for the last 17 years. He's had college paid for, and when he retires as an E-8 at 50 he'll go get a civil service job somewhere in finance, perhaps even in the same office he's in currently, and then he'll pull a GS-12 or 13 salary on top of it. His wife, who went into the military not disclosing an injury, got out in less than three years when she "ouch" pulled a muscle and they found her scoliosis. That even her PARENTS knew she had. No one said a word and she now gets disability enough to make at least one of their car payments. She also qualifies for housing because she's in school, and even though brother-in-law is compensated for housing, her tuition covers it as well, and this is why she's a career student since she got out of the Air Force. The double-dipping is out of control and is going to bankrupt all of us if it doesn't get checked.

There's a reason for the cynicism. Believe me. We see it every single day living in San Antonio. The word is that no one goes into the Air Force these days to be a hero. They go in to get the benefits and the long-term career. Frankly, if I had been smarter when I was 18 or 19, I would have done it myself.

On the other hand, there's my sweet cousin who is a CWO and flies missions in Afghanistan. He is a true hero, IMHO and deserves everything he gets, benefits-wise. I know why he does it, and I respect him for doing so. He amazes me all the time!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:41 PM

275 posts, read 434,117 times
Default Everyone makes their own bed, don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
As far as VET's are concerned, I see them as blue collar workers, just the same as I see a framer or a roofer at a construction site. The true hero is the one who prevents conflicts, not the one who engages in them. Although they do get a little respect in my opinion. But I think the pride of being a soldier is one of the reasons people join the forces though.
I agree completely. Americans seem often driven to unduly celebrate people who take on jobs in which they simply risk life and limb for some perceived altruistic goal -- policeman, fireman, soldier, etc. But the fact is, the risk factor (along with the pride and rewarding challenges that comes along with taking such a risk) is often what attracts people toward volunteering for these positions and, when we think about it, our military is hardly fighting for any kind of altruistic goal at this time (rather they seem fighting for esoteric ulterior political goals that I often wonder if even the inner-circle of our government can understand or appreciate any more).

The US military has been 100% voluntary for decades (i.e. none are drafted/conscripted), so I don't see how that makes soldiers much different from any American who volunteers to do any job one may consider necessary for American success (i.e. from fireman to construction worker, from doctor to garbage man, from teacher to unskilled healthcare workers, etc.). To the contrary, what I see, generally, are soldiers who are doing exactly what they want to do with their professional careers, so I often count them luckier than most Americans for having found such a rewarding professional niche in life. If only we all can be so lucky, right? Why then, do people unduly celebrate them or "give them our support" as a rule of course?

I for one am far more inclined to appreciate and "support" the nurses and doctors and other healthcare workers that take care of my decrepit and dying father right now, and who took care of my mother prior to her passing -- than the soldiers fighting in wars for a poorly conceived foreign policy that I (and most of America) do not support. When the government pulls its head out of its butt and uses these brave young people for a purpose that I can support, I will freely and openly give our soldiers my support in anyway I can -- but right now, to simply support soldiers simply because they risk their lives for a bad foreign policy -- I feel like people are asking me to support the construction workers who are building a giant monstrosity of a mall that I neither want nor see much demand or purpose behind. Support (as well as high respect) for ANY voluntary professional should be earned (through doing BOTH a good job for a good cause), not merely granted as a matter of tradition, or because they chose to risk their own life and limb, or because they wear a government uniform.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:47 PM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
We do not thank them for our current freedom. We thank them for their commitment to fight for our freedom if such a situation where to arise

Old 02-28-2014, 05:29 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
The Continental Army was born and endured very great hardship by the very thought of freedom.
And anyone who bad mouths the good old USA can

....go get me a beer.

Try bad mouthing any country from "one" of the five operating rims of the world and see how long your little ass will last? the very fact that you can do and say as you wish here in the USA only proves my point. Countries around the world have been following our lead for good reason and one only has to leave our country and they will find out real quick just how much they miss home.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:54 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
I have long wondered why we often say that we thank the troops for our freedom in America. I am not trying to be disrespectful and I realize that the troops have no say in the decisions made by politicians but I really do not see how any of the military engagements that we have been involved in since WWII have protected our freedoms as Americans.

If anything, our freedoms as Americans are diminished far more by politicians and organizations like the NSA than they are by anyone in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I may be cynical but I feel we enter wars and military actions in order to justify and/or enrich the military-industrial complex and politicians tell us that the reason is to fight for our freedom which is more palatable to the American voting public.

Yes we need the military. Yes we need a STRONG military. Yes we should be grateful to the young men and women willing to sacrifice and serve their country often at great cost.
I just think that pretending a military effort is a fight for American freedom only ensures more needless wars and military engagements.
I used to (and still do) argue with everybody who says that they don't need to thank the troops for their freedom. I decided to just stop doing it. (arguing with people that is) I can not change people's mind and arguing is useless.

My brother ( a former Marine) has told me that he is never a hero because true heroes don't come back..

On Veteran's day, I still give my brother a card, says "I love you and you are my hero. Thank you for your service." The card always puts a smile on his face and he always tells me, "Thank you for your support and Semper Fi."

We all have true heroes in our hearts. To me, it is always my brother and those brave troops just like him because I have seen what he has sacrificed, and has been through.

In the military, some gave all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3MX2ha8QAQ

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 02-28-2014 at 07:07 PM..

Old 02-28-2014, 07:14 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
For those who say that they joined service for benefit, not all of them. My brother's first paycheck, under $1,000 I can make that amount of money selling junks on ebay. But here is the deal, you can join the service or have your sons join the service, so you can get some of those benefits too. (Just don't know how long it will last.)

My bro served for six years, got out of the military with a bad knee. He has a beautiful work studio in Burbank California. He's a successful industrial designer. He pays his own insurance, and not one cent he makes right now is from the government. Yeah, He earned his title United states Marine. He also earned his $$ worked damn hard as a civilian. He can care less about the "thank you for your service" b.s. And all his military buddies think exactly like him.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

I thank them and their families because that is what I want to do which is my choice.
If you don't then you don't, your choice.
I don't question why anyone else does what they do though because it is their choice and really none of my business.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:54 PM

723 posts, read 868,767 times
no ****. Modern wars aren't being fought for noble causes, they're fought to line pockets and further the interests of politicians. It's not the soldiers' fault but I would strongly discourage any young man from enlisting in this day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates