Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your viewpoints. I would love to be able to brainstorm a solution but until something really terrible happens in say, Houston, TX, I don't think there will be much attention paid to the problem. I know of one mass murder that happened in AZ, something like 20 bodies were found in a stash house, I'll have to see if I can find the article. But until it reaches Gringo country, we will continue to ignore it unfortunately.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Who in politics currently is for the legalization of drugs...
No one in their right mind.
But that should apply to the general population as well.

On this point it is imperative to distinguish between natural state and pharmaceuticals.
That so many continue to avoid or ignore or just not understand the distinction
is a large part of the problem with cross talk on the subject and resistance to progress.

One More Time:
Re-Legalize... natural state agricultural products
Re-Medicalize... pharmaceutical and other synthetic products.

Quote:
Does anyone follow politics enough... ?
Cui Bono?

Beyond the low hanging fruit of narco-trafficers and gangland murderers...
think deeply about exactly who it is that benefits from the current model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6t1EM4Onao
Attached Thumbnails
Mexican Cartel Violence-Are You Prepared America?-pogo-we_have_met_the_enemy_and_he_is_us-large.jpg  

Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 AM

Man that's the guy we need fixing these issues! He gets it!

Winning the drug war:
Cartel Bosses
Juvenile Gang Leaders
Law Enforcement (Federal Money Receivers)
Politicians That Talk Tough
Private Companies That Own Prisons
Terrorists

Losing the drug war:
Everyone else

Doesn't get any clearer than that!

On a side note, this guy seems like he could balance our economy in about 10 minutes! Damn he's smart.

Thank you for the great video. It's a shame no one have even viewed this video (145k views), compared to say a Lady Gaga video.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Im pretty sure its overly optimistic to say that these bloodthirsty, sadistic, well armed cartels are just going to "go away" when you take away their revenue source.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Im pretty sure its overly optimistic to say that these bloodthirsty, sadistic, well armed cartels
are just going to "go away" when you take away their revenue source.
And? Is that the basis for a decision?
One bridge at a time.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Im pretty sure its overly optimistic to say that these bloodthirsty, sadistic, well armed cartels are just going to "go away" when you take away their revenue source.
I don't think that would happen. I think we would start a war with the cartels and they would hold nothing back in trying to kill as many Americans as possible as we took away their ability to traffic drugs. It would be rough for a few years, but eventually if we systematically took their money, they would have to go elsewhere to fund their businesses or they'd dry up.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM

This article is from April 10th Source Blog Del Narco: sorry my translation is not the best but you'll get the subject of the article I'm sure.

At least 128 people have died since the weekend following an internal struggle of a drug cartel in Tamaulipas Mexican border region (northeast), the local government said Thursday.

From Saturday "a total of 128 people were killed in fighting or settling of scores between criminal groups" in two municipalities in the region, said a statement from the Tamaulipas Coordination Group, which brings together regional security forces and federal, which was released by the regional government.

Violent episodes were recorded between midnight Saturday and Wednesday afternoon in the municipalities of Tampico (about 300,000 inhabitants) and Ciudad Madero (about 200,000 inhabitants), located in the Gulf of Mexico, the statement said.

The Coordination Group, which does not identify the perpetrators of the violence, said it had arrested 10 people and has seized 16 guns and 11 vehicles, plus packages of cocaine and marijuana.

An authorized Tamaulipas government spokesman told AFP that the shootings are the result of an internal struggle in the Gulf cartel for power in the south of the region, which was previously controlled by Javier Garza alias "Commander 14", arrested last February.

"By dropping the alleged leader of the entire southern part, the group is headed and the internal battle begins to see who gets it," said the spokesman, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Tampico own mayor, Gustavo Torres, had reported this week that violence in his important port town was presumably linked to the Gulf Cartel.

This organization has historically dominated the drug trade in Tamaulipas and the rest of the Mexican coast, but in recent years has undergone a process of weakening the arrest or death of their leaders and a bitter dispute since 2010 against his former allies Los Zetas, a group created by elite military deserters.

More than 80,000 people have died in Mexico as part of the anti-drug military offensive launched at the beginning of the mandate of president Felipe Calderón (2006-2012) and remains until now.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:54 PM

As a follow up, Tamaulipas is just across a narrow river called the Rio Grande from Brownsville, TX and just a small drive from Corpus Christie, TX.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times
Just to put that 128 muders over four days in context, the two municipalities have a total of 500k residents. NYC has a population of 8.5m. On a per capita basis, that would equate to 2200 for a city the size of NYC. That is over a four day period. The most NYC ever had in a single year was right around 2,200, in 1990 when the city was an armpit from the crck epidemic.

It is better to deal with this before these enterprises become so engrained into American society, though I have no idea how much that may be already. If you think we can sit by idle because it currently doesn't affect us, i) it will, and ii) it likely already has.

Just several years ago, it was the golden rule of these groups to not do anything in major tourist zones, given how much Mexico depended on tourism. Central districts in cancun, acapulco, etc. were off limits. They could operate somewhat freely as long as they obided by this rule. Well, they have blasted through that recently. Gun fights in the middle of cancun nightclubs, groups of people found hanging from bridges in acapulco. I suspect they may have a similar rule in place about the US. Keep all of the graphic violence south of the border. History shows us these guys only follow direction so long. They got so big, the mexican gov't could no longer enforce these 'unwritten rules.' What about when they become so brazen to bring these tactics north of the border? Is that the time to sit up and take notice?

Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Just to put that 128 muders over four days in context, the two municipalities have a total of 500k residents. NYC has a population of 8.5m. On a per capita basis, that would equate to 2200 for a city the size of NYC. That is over a four day period. The most NYC ever had in a single year was right around 2,200, in 1990 when the city was an armpit from the crck epidemic.

It is better to deal with this before these enterprises become so engrained into American society, though I have no idea how much that may be already. If you think we can sit by idle because it currently doesn't affect us, i) it will, and ii) it likely already has.

Just several years ago, it was the golden rule of these groups to not do anything in major tourist zones, given how much Mexico depended on tourism. Central districts in cancun, acapulco, etc. were off limits. They could operate somewhat freely as long as they obided by this rule. Well, they have blasted through that recently. Gun fights in the middle of cancun nightclubs, groups of people found hanging from bridges in acapulco. I suspect they may have a similar rule in place about the US. Keep all of the graphic violence south of the border. History shows us these guys only follow direction so long. They got so big, the mexican gov't could no longer enforce these 'unwritten rules.' What about when they become so brazen to bring these tactics north of the border? Is that the time to sit up and take notice?
+1 Well spoken and thanks for the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates