Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:00 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times

Advertisements

Do you believe the increased amount of medication prescribed to developing children and the increased amount of illegal drug use among developing kids has led to mental problems related to stunting of brain development of young adults and teenagers of today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:43 PM

838 posts, read 1,353,289 times
No expert on this but imo it's the amount of technology available and there seems to less disciplined kids these days.

Why discipline them when you can just take them to a doctor and get them on medication to calm them down.

It's amazing the amount of kids on Ritalin and Adderall now.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,925 times
Medication advocates would argue that those children who are prescribed psychotropic drugs do in fact need them. Children with affective disturbances or attention deficits can focus better, and thus learn better when medicated, That's what they say.... But the truth is most people assume that drugs are proven safe before they are marketed. But this is not always the case, especially when you consider the long-term picture. Science knows very little about the long-term effects of medicating children. In effect, children have been guinea pigs. The results of this grand experiment are only now becoming evident, and sometimes the consequences are deadly.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,187 times
Moderator cut: Against TOS

Nope, I think it is verbal abuse, physical abuse, and imbalanced homes. Like in an home where a parent might have problems, and throws it on to the children, or spouses. Imagine two parents who can never see eye to eye on an subject, and instead of going into their love, they go into that state of mind. It is like the saying "It is the devil keeping up apart", which means their is no real reason for us to be separated.

In the abnormal home, the other party member, refuses to get along, and the parent actually supports that. That is the primary problem. The next problem is when kids ( five year olds ) have to figure out life. In this scenario some Moderator cut: inappropriate might snake their way into the schools, and encourage inappropriate behavior. The same ( or reverse ) inappropriate behavior could be given by the parent to the child through daily contact. In the end we call it a peer issue, because nobody can blame the parent, the educational system, or even third party sources, like media.

All of this leads back to peer pressure, along with the normal imbalances of society (that nobody has control over ). About outside sources of the home, and educational/Brainwashing facilities. A lot of people blame media, and the media seterotypes and blame certain kinds of people. This all leads back to a bigger problem, the law, when people get brainwashed enough, they are willing to pass even stupider laws.

Even with globalism, new barriers are created.

.................................................. ................... Your trying to pin the problem on medical field, but it is that ignorant, parent ( who will not admit they are at fault ) or money driven mad doctor, who agrees to the medication. I mean your child could be associating with the opposite sex, MEDICATION. Your child could not have a reason they do not like going to school MEDICATION, your child will not make your dreams their dreams, MEDICATION.

The law should be, that a parent with weapons in the home, should not prescribe children medications for fake diagnosis, like ADD, or etc syndrome. Like oh yeah the answer to our questions is in an magical bottle. I know what every dude needs, they need a girlfriend ( a woman figure ) to drag him by his tail, so that he has something to look forward to in life. Not take the drugs, get better, your a worthless person, no work for you, go to prison, donate organs, get loss.

Personally if parents would just lay down the law inside their homes, and do it with love, AGAIN WITH LOVE ( not tough love ( which people are too stupid to even understand ) ). They could have brain surgeons for children. Getting along with people is not magic, sometimes their are invisible forces working against families, society, and schools from getting along.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-09-2014 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 09:36 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Definitely.

I was a teenager in the early 2000s and some of my friends and myself were into heavy metal music, gaming, wearing black, etc, in the years after Columbine. Needless to say we attracted some attention in our rural, Bible Belt school.

One guy in this group was particularly adventurous in his illicit drug use for the first few years of college. He had some issues with his sexuality as a teenager, but nothing that suggested severe mental illness. At 21, he had an epileptic seizure in someone's bathtub after an overdose. His medical condition deteriorated from there.

Until he killed himself at 27 last year, he was on and off antipsychotics, antidepressants, had several injuries (fell down stairs looped out on prescribed meds, snapping femur in two), had an addiction to painkillers, was in and out of mental institutions, had numerous boyfriends, and a couple of jail sentences.

A few years ago he blew off the ends of his toes with a shotgun for no apparent reason. In February he shot himself in the eye with rat shot and had to have extensive eye surgeries. He was dead in July.

There were times when he'd invite people over, take something, and be completely incoherent and just have to be put to bed. Other times when he was on less medication, he'd bike thirty miles. He seemed to be cleaning things last summer then jumped off a bridge.

The guy had a lot of issues, but I think the drugs severely aggravated existing issues he had, and made many new ones.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 AM

148 posts, read 141,139 times
no child under 20 should be given , mental health drugs, there brain has not reached a level of normal, its still growing and filled with all things young. I never took AD.S I was begged by my doctors but said no, I was mad but not insane and my teen years were full of near death and extreme highs . WHY would I change a roller coaster ride for a fat body and a lazy numb but stable EXISTENCE I am doing that now at 66 year old . I have shortened my life by 10 years but who care,s I could write 10 books on my crazy but eventful life

Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
As a MSc Pharm and toxicologist, I want to mention a common knowledge that is so common, that no one seems to know it.

Every pharmaceutical compound is a toxin. It is a pure question of dosage. In small amounts it may produce curative effect, in large amount it may kill or damage.
There is also another aspect. Compound effect. One that develops over years of small amounts use.
Also, there is no such thing as illegal drugs. Every known "drug" is to some extent utilized by a country government. Edit: by official health care (or militaries, or research, etc. Official, as from government permission). Every. Official morphine trade is a booming trade in the world and quality opiates from Asia and Turkey still produce the best anti pain medicine available vs synthetics. Hence it's not a question of illegal, it's question of allowed to one side and forbidden to another. For reasons very much so argumented.
But to Op's Q: yes. Definitely. Only healthy lifestyle, diet and food, and mental peace produce no adverse effects on human body. Otherwise, even water may kill.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
Ever since Benjamin Spock, child rearing has been a hash. People no longer know how to raise kids. "Experts", which are really not experts since there is no such thing as an expert when it comes to raising kids, don't know either. It's a forgotten ability. Just like we've lost the knowledge to send a man to the moon, we've lost the knowledge of how to raise kids.

That giving kids mind altering drugs is even a practice is all the proof of this that's needed.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:49 PM

214 posts, read 230,685 times
Yes and no.

Insofar as the "increased illegal drug use among developing kids" that you cited, I really don't think today's adolescents and teens do as many illegal drugs as some of their predecessors did. I came of age in the 70s & 80s and am pretty sure we did more dope than today's kids.

But about the prescription drugs, yeah: they are criminally over-prescribed to children; especially the drugs for ADD & ADHD, which are also very over-diagnosed. Some of the symptoms that doctors and the kids' parents diagnose are simply normal behavior: being rowdy; "visiting" with neighbors in class; short attention spans; disinterest in study material; daydreaming. Good Lord, I don't think I'd want to meet a kid who didn't do all that stuff. I know I did. It's perfectly normal. But with the propensity of harried, single parents raising kids today, its no wonder they try and point the finger at some sort of mental problem as the source of their kids' unruliness, instead of just plain under-supervision.
Depression is also egregiously over-diagnosed, as is Bipolar Disorder. Everyone gets down once in awhile, or has mood swings. But Big Pharma spends a ton of money developing and producing these drugs, so they of course must maximize sales. And they do this with aggressive marketing and scare tactics that over-exaggerate normal symptoms in an attempt to label them as errant or abnormal and in need of medication so as to alleviate.
All these psych meds work by enhancing or restricting certain chemicals--neurotransmitters--in the brain. SO if a developing brain is altered by this, it stands to reason that long-lasting emotional and cognitive disorders can appear. The brain, like the rest of our body, is forever trying to attain a state of homeostasis: a return to a normal, well-balanced, efficient state of being.
Chemicals skew this process.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:02 AM

148 posts, read 141,139 times
The very same reason kids that take street drugs , can go on to develop multiple mental illness in later life schizophrenia being a top destroyer from early drug use .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates