Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times

Advertisements

Capitalism requires the free flow of capital. It is a market system based on capital investment, and depends on a government system committed to capital expenditure and tax incentives to prime the pump. Once the capital starts flowing, the capitalists take your capital and convert it into their capital. Capitalism, at least from the economic perspective of the capitalist, is a capital idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
In any country, the purpose of life is to propagate the species. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Perhaps the Americans who are interested in making money are NOT interested in being the recipient of government handouts. They want to provide their own support and also help those who for some reason or another cannot help themselves. Those who regularly cast aspersions on America and then blame it on someone else are rather low on the totem pole. No matter the source of a question. The person who uses it is just as liable as the originator. Bashing America seems to have become typical behavior for some who enjoy such activity.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:01 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
I disagree with the premise that the purpose of life is to make money in the USA. What is the purpose of life is has been debated since humans discovered we can walk on two feet. America was founded not for the sole purpose to make money, i.e. economic freedom, though that was a part of it, but also for political freedom and the proverbial pursuit of happiness.

The modern age creates pressures and uncertainties. If people appear stressed it is because they are. It is not an American affliction, it is worldwide.

In this country we can still have choices, but like every person in the world, our choices are limited by the money we have and can afford.

If we can't afford our choices or make poor economic choices, we can fall into despair. The American safety net is woeful next to other first world countries, but far better than nearly every second or third world country. The question of the safety net is debated in nearly every election cycle. How you vote determines the extent of that net.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:21 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Actually this is true...
I meet people from all over the world.
The people I've met- whether they're from England, Spain, Egypt, Australia, Ireland- wherever--
are always happier, more vibrant, more lively & much more passionate than Americans.
I get to talk w/ them & the fact is their lives are not pi$$ed away w/ their noses to the grindstones...
They travel, they're proud of where they come from & they enjoy life to the max.
And in the U.S. we have the incredible contrasts-- rich & poor.
The rich are able to enjoy the pleasures of life;
working class, not as much.
The poor even have it better than the working class these days-
w/ all the freebies & handouts they're getting...
So yes I agree- Americans are overworked (the working, middle class only.)
I'd love to start over in another country, lol

Old 09-07-2014, 08:47 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times
The philosopher said that the purpose of life is to search for the truth. The poet said that the purpose of life is to live. The preacher said that the purpose of this life is to prepare one for the next life. And the gravedigger said that the purpose of life, in the end, is to keep him in business.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Interesting! How in the world you miss the point that because of pursuing money the U.S. has became a financial power.

Also, despite all the horrors you describe, I venture to guess that America is still the country that most people emigrate to. Is it of the horror stories that people just want to see are going here? Why do they immigrate to this country?
They emigrate to this country so they can have financial security, which is exactly OP'e theory. I agree with OP, but the reason Americans are so obsessed with money is because we can't live without it. That's the main reason. As for the getting rich thing, which isn't really necessary, since all that is necessary is having enough money to survive, and not own yachts and mansions, that is mainly due to our materialistic society and advertisers constantly pummeling us with messages that we cannot be happy unless we buy this and buy that, which of course requires lots of $$$.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Good grief people.....
My thoughts exactly, after reading to this point.

I share your concern and have watched the soulless population grow steadily since it began to ramp up steeply in the Reagan years.

In my view, media advertising has become the most menacing form of pollution in our culture. It has completely ruined radio and TV by trumping and smothering all programming, and is fast doing the same with the Internet. You can't even pump your own gas anymore without listening to an ad as a captive audience.

We are surrounded by the source of the problem each and every day. Not sure what can be done about a population so content to be puppets on a string.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:11 AM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
I absolutely agree with you Rocco. I was thinking of starting a thread along the lines, "The love of money is the root of all evil, true?"

I'm not an economics or philosophy whiz, but it seems that everything in America revolves around money.
Spend some time on the work and employment forum, with all the threads about corporations offshoreing work, bringing in HB1 visas while bright, motivated American with STEM degrees languish in retail. Or the economics forum, with the 1% getting richer and richer, and having laws tailored to make them richer, all while the middle class struggles.

You want to see the love of money in action, look at pro sports. "It's about REPSPECT! Pay me big money, or you don't RESPECT me!" The respect a person earns is the result of their character and values, but to pro athletes, getting paid a gazillion dollars on their next contract means they're RESPECTED!!!
But, wait, it's a business, it's all what the market will bear! If the market will bear it, pay these guys their gazillions. Ok, sure, and the average working stiff can't afford to go to the games. Ah well, that's why I stopped following sports.

I remember seeing on some blog that when computers and automation started becoming standard in the workplace, they thought people would have nothing to do. What in heavens were we going to do with all this leisure time? Well, we told "The Man" that we didn't want the leisure time, that we would work and work and work 60 hours a week. See, we're productive, Americans are the most productive, we rock!

But at what cost? Takes two incomes to survive. Kids are being raised in daycare because both parents have to work. We buy so much stuff, then can't find the time to use it because we're always working.
There's some new homes being built near me. They are so gigantic, you would think a secret race of giants live there. And they are all on tiny lots with a postage stamp for a yard. There's no children playing, no laughter, no neighbors talking over the fence. Probably working late to afford their gigantic homes.

I could go on and on. But, when you really think about it, we really do worship money. Greed is just a part of human nature.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think perhaps its more about accomplishing something often that brings money. Its like money and happiness which represents ability to buy essentials needs. A lack of money can bring unhappiness but money can't buy happiness.its same reason why so many of those not having it want to share others wealth altho it never works out because it devalues what they get to the bottom level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates