Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 03:26 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon an article recently about a homeless camp near Baltimore. Despite being the losers of American society, I counted four instances of the American flag in the pictures in the article. Why do homeless people still raise the star spangled banner despite American society not having been very favorable to them?

1. they may have lost their homes, their jobs, and their pride but not their sense of humor and they are just being sarcastic when raising the American flag. (My guess)
2. they are still good patriotic Americans still believing in their country who blame themselves for their fate.
3. some other trivial reason like they happened to find many flags in dumpsters in back alleys which they thought would make good building materials or decoration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 03:33 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
Unfortunately many of them are veterans,

But still have a love for there country and service.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I stumbled upon an article recently about a homeless camp near Baltimore. Despite being the losers of American society, I counted four instances of the American flag in the pictures in the article. Why do homeless people still raise the star spangled banner despite American society not having been very favorable to them?

1. they may have lost their homes, their jobs, and their pride but not their sense of humor and they are just being sarcastic when raising the American flag. (My guess)
2. they are still good patriotic Americans still believing in their country who blame themselves for their fate.
3. some other trivial reason like they happened to find many flags in dumpsters in back alleys which they thought would make good building materials or decoration.
What is American society and why did they make these people homeless?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:54 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:

Possibly, you should visit a few other countries and check out the homeless treatment there. There are a lot of worse places to be homeless.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:29 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,283,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Possibly, you should visit a few other countries and check out the homeless treatment there. There are a lot of worse places to be homeless.
What first world countries are you referring to? (If any)

Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
What first world countries are you referring to? (If any)
I just reread my post and I'm pretty sure I didn't say "first world countries."

"Possibly, you should visit a few other countries and check out the homeless treatment there. There are a lot of worse places to be homeless."

Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 AM

893 posts, read 886,668 times
Quote:

#2 AINEC

A great many people fully understand, despite their own misgivings and mistakes, what a great country they live in.

I'm confused as to what would even prompt a sane, patriotic person to even think of #1 or even the premise of the thread in the first place.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:35 AM

555 posts, read 804,922 times
Quote:

Hm...so you think people are losers just because they're homeless? I've known people who were highly educated, high wage earners who became homeless. No one is ever that far from the edge. I sincerely hope you never find yourself down and out.

Four instances. It takes a big jump from those four instances to your conclusion that therefore, homeless people in the U.S. generally fly the American flag: "Why do homeless people still raise the star spangled banner..."

A more accurate conclusion would be that you observed four instances of flag flying amid a single homeless encampment near Baltimore. You might want to ask the people specifically involved in those instances why they chose to fly the flag. Their responses may or may not indicate any trends among homeless people. For all you know, it could just be a personal thing -- or a Baltimore thing. You won't know unless you ask the people who actually chose to fly the flag in that one encampment.

Sure, you could take an anecdotal survey via city-data, but your results would reveal nothing about those four instances you observed and little about homeless people and their views on flag waving (unless you luck out by having homeless people or former homeless people respond to you). Instead, your question, and the way it's been posed, and where it's been posed, only serves to spotlight city-data contributors' own views about homelessness, privilege, and the American Dream -- and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume most contributors are not homeless. That's really your point, right? In the end, this question really is about people who are not homeless.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:34 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
I guess I can understand your wondering, but for me it's not something I'd question. I've been rich and poor -- pretty much on both edges of the rich-poor spectrum (although never homeless and never a billionaire). Speaking for myself only, I never felt more patriotic when rich than when poor. I have at times cursed certain politicians or just politics in general, but my patriotism goes further than politics. My patriotism is more based on my heritage, the constitution, and the fact that we all CAN be whatever we make of ourselves. I don't blame my country if I'm poor, I blame me. I made some bad choices. I'm glad I had those choices to make.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,499,221 times
Not all homeless people are mad at anyone, or America.

They are free to roam and travel the country.

Many receive checks, and you could not give them a job, place to live, car, etc.

Go ask some of them if they would give it up and they will say no,
because they are happy the way they live.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates