Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Quote:

I am not sure if foreign spouses have tripled, but they have increased.

One in five married households has foreign-born spouse - The
Washington Post

I would imagine that obtaining the educational achievements of the spouses is
difficult, though not impossible, to obtain. It would stand to reason that the
vast majority of people marry someone with a similar intellect as they do (but
not necessarily the same degree level). However, the fact that international
marriages have a ridiculously low divorce rate (20% according to USCIS & the
CIS) lends some credence to the idea that foreign born spouses are not rural
village people with no education. While anecdotal, my mom is foreign born and
she has several degrees under her belt. I don't think education statistics are
collected so anyone arguing one way or another is probably standing on weak
ground.
That statistic is households that has one foreign born spouse. Not men going to foreign countries to find a bride. It also states that this follows immigration. That would indicate people are marrying immigrants. There are increased number of immigrants thus increased marriages.

Also the numbers from USCIS. This would probably encompass those individuals who would lose their ability to stay in the States if they divorced so it would stand to reason that divorce rate would be low.

Quote:
Feminism actually varies by country. In Europe women tend to want to be equal to
men and voice support for egalitarian laws, in the USA women want to be better
than men, in Asia women want to rule the household, but maintain face in public.
In South American countries, and this isn't necessarily related to feminism or
solely found in S. America, the woman having to work is disgraceful and viewed
as a necessity rather than choice. To further illustrate the differences between
countries, in Russia only the very wealthy can afford to have a housewife, but
the oligarchs do not marry provincial girls.
Interesting, but I assume we are talking about American feminism.

Quote:
Personally, and back OT, I don't think feminism has much to do with Americans
marrying foreign spouses. Globalism, larger expat communities, a larger
immigrant population, obesity levels, LGBT acceptance, and a surplus of men most
likely have far greater influence on US marriage trends than anything else
I agree.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-06-2014 at 09:55 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 02:21 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I gave up at page four.
As "imported wife" I cook, keep house, keep garden, iron, make hot breakfast every day, empty cat boxes, talk with mother in law on the phone, see to happy whatever day calls and packages and reload ammo. I also keep a close eye on finances, purchases, and other frivolous activities. I do not shine shoes!!! Oh - full time job on the side.
Am I less feminine, less cuddly, less cute (yes, at 5.11 there is no such thing), less me.
It hit when it hit. So what. It has been a couple of years by now.
Equal rights in the US workforce - any better jokes out there?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:33 PM

174 posts, read 181,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Yeah, once hispanics finish gaining numbers and become the overwhelming majority or when islamists become more widely represented in the general population, their women are not gonna play this woe is me/hear me roar tiddleywinks that weak american men have let women play for the past 4 decades...you'll either play your part in the uber conservative nuclear family structure or get exiled, or worse. And they wont be eaten alive inside by white male guilt/pc/public relations when they do it either.
This is very true. Men now who accept feminism will not stand a chance in the real world with a foreign woman. While they say they dislike "machismo" the macho man, they rapidly become bored when the man does not take charge where a feminist will have nothing to do with that and serve you with a divorce summons coupled with blood sucking alimony.

Men naturally take charge in relationships until many were stuck with a feminist and either shut up or divorce, which they just settled.

Great point on this discussion. There is no inbetween and foreign women are not for everyone.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:07 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinctwentyone View Post
Over the last decade the amount of American men seeking foreign wives has more than tripled. While globalization is certainly a reason, most men are saying that American women are demanding too much or have lost the femininity that men prefer.

Instead of seeking love more women are measuring bank accounts and assets prior to marriage when their counter parts in south America are not. Men are catching short flights to date and marry women that are seriously looking to start families.

Could the increased feminism and cultural changes in the U.S. be the reason for this change over the last decade?
No.

Like another poster, I am skeptical about the factual basis for your post.

Nevertheless, if you are correct, it is possible that it is caused in part by sexist assumptions on the part of the men who are doing it.

Not by feminism.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
What is it with the "woman's body is a commodity" mindset? If men need us that badly, why don't they treat us fairly? Feminism is protection against the chauvinistic attitudes that would allow abusive men to rule the women in our nation. Look at the media. That is man's opinion of woman; she's seen as a mere object for pleasure and amusement. This is still ingrained so heavily in our culture. Women are judged most harshly on their looks and ability to please. As intelligent human beings, most of us do not want to be seen only this way. Why should men be allowed to go out to work and spend time with his friends while the wife is stuck at home all day with the kids? Why should the working woman be expected to make dinner, care for the children, and take up all of duties and responsibilities of the housewife when she, too, has the obligations of work outside of the home?

A marriage is a wonderful thing if done correctly, but men tend to expect too much from their wives in the modern two-person income household. Just because she doesn't make your breakfast, lunch, and dinner doesn't mean she doesn't love you; she may actually be tired, especially if she has kids to take care of. Perhaps the best way for two modern Americans to have a happy marriage is to take pains to understand each other and help one another. Don't expect the woman to do it all. If you have expectations of how a marriage should run, discuss it with your wife! I think too many Western men seem to expect their other half to treat them like sons, not husbands. Let each other know your expectations. Marriage is supposed to be literally a lifetime of getting to know one another. Why haven't you taken time to understand your other half?

Last edited by krmb; 10-06-2014 at 07:13 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinctwentyone View Post
This is completely false and it seems that you are the one who needs to know exactly what feminism is.

Are you saying that there are no highly intellectual women that enjoy raising children or enjoy treating their husbands good with a home cooked meal. You would be very surprised how many highly intellectual ivy league graduates that prefer the family married life, that prefer there children growing up with them rather than daycare.

Feminism is more of an inferiority complex, a war against men utilizing the ideology that whatever a man can do they can do too and should be paid the same, which is somewhat true, but this disintegrated the family. Feminism is what wrecked the original family life for more than half the population forcing both parents to work since 1 breadwinner pay checks were lowered in order to stay equal.

Not digging but I think that you have it mixed up and I would recommend looking at one of the posts above that has the actual definition of feminism.

The west no longer values the family life as it should, therefore men who want families are sometimes forced to seek elsewhere. Not all of us look for playboy bunnies in South America.

If these foreign women are highly intellectual and being sought after by ivy league school why would they chose to spend their life as a simple housewife? Would they not essentially be a feminist like American women if they sought and equal education and career as their husbands?

There is nothing wrong with a woman that chooses to be educated and not utilize her degree in the field. A simple housewife may not be as simple as you might think. A simple housewife sometimes does homeschooling, a simple housewife teaches values to her children when the husband is out making money.
You are right. If a woman wants to stay home and be a housewife or raise children, she should have a right to do that. Where I object to this is where men and women seem to feel there's something wrong with me if I don't do the exact same thing. I object when doing the things I want to do results in me being called names. I object when men act like it's an insult because I want to be respected in the same way they expect to be respected.

My own family was very traditional. My dad worked, my mom stayed home and raised kids. My mother didn't drive - my dad didn't think she needed to. He also didn't think I needed college, or life insurance, or the knowledge of how to operate a vehicle or a checking account. He was king and lord of his house and when he said jump, we all jumped. My mother was happy in her role. I say good for her. Unfortunately, it was a role that if I had to play would absolutely smother me (and turn me homicidal). So I elect to not play that role.

I know so many men who feel threatened by that. They shouldn't be. I don't think a marriage is about control of any one person, but you'd be amazed at how many men feel a "traditional" marriage is exactly that: controlling the household. If you are a woman and you see that as a normal thing and you are happy with your role, then far be it for me to tell you not to play it. But by the same token, don't expect me to stand still and go along with others when they demean the things I do.

I heard something once: If you are a hammer, strike; if you are a peg, endure the knocking. Well, I don't picture myself as a hammer, but I refuse to be a peg who endures knocking. Sometimes people think I should be knocked just for being a peg and standing there. However, if you are that person, don't be surprised when this peg knocks you back.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:14 PM

23 posts, read 28,794 times
I never heard of guys going to south america to get wife
Usually , guys go to eastern europe or asia get a wife.
One of problem is being a guy nowdays is that dont we empower guys like we do women and then they get confident they need.
Another problem is sometimes we send mix messages to children about how act around the opposite sex.
I am freminism but I dont want belittle men .
I just want a choice in life.
I have no problem with people marrying people from other countries.
But just do not bash people.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
^^Ahh, I get it. Point taken. Though I would argue that your wife is not a feminist. That goes to the entire other issue of defining what the term "feminist" means.

I work full-time, do almost all the cleaning, laundry and yard work and I DO consider myself a feminist. I do all these things, not because I think they're "woman's work". I do them because my husband works longer hours than I do, so it's not fair to expect him to do half the housework.

To most, feminism is about equality. But how that works out in any given relationship is as individual as the people are, and their situations.
This is spot on!

My husband had another guy comment about how lucky my husband was to have a subservient wife. He told him I wasn't subservient, but an equal partner. I may fill the role of a traditional wife, but I'm not a doormat. I don't do these things because I have to, but because I want to.

If my husband expected me to do these things because it was my "role" and it was "women's work", I would not do it.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Very understanding situations on both sides of the fence. I can't argue some of the biases against men in this country. Even as a woman, I get irked at TV commercials that make the husband look like a bungling boob. It's the male version of the ditzy blonde we've all grown up with. And yes, with more women in the workforce, the demographics of the workforce are changing. More women are taking over the jobs in banking and finance, for example, which pushes men into other careers. If a person wants to leave the country because of that, or feels their beliefs are more suited to a different country's culture, that's the beauty of individual choice.

Where this thread has irked me is when disenfranchised men blame women for all their problems, or lump all American women into a very narrow and negative category. Not that it affects my life in any way, but I think that kind of victim mentality is a cancerous black hole that eats from within. I know people who are incapable of believing they ever contribute to their own problems. They lead very frustrated and disappointing lives. I see that same mentality in some of the posts here and find it very sad.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:35 PM

574 posts, read 696,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
What is it with the "woman's body is a commodity" mindset? If men need us that badly, why don't they treat us fairly? Feminism is protection against the chauvinistic attitudes that would allow abusive men to rule the women in our nation. Look at the media. That is man's opinion of woman; she's seen as a mere object for pleasure and amusement. This is still ingrained so heavily in our culture. Women are judged most harshly on their looks and ability to please. As intelligent human beings, most of us do not want to be seen only this way. Why should men be allowed to go out to work and spend time with his friends while the wife is stuck at home all day with the kids? Why should the working woman be expected to make dinner, care for the children, and take up all of duties and responsibilities of the housewife when she, too, has the obligations of work outside of the home?
Actually, the only people who judge women's appearances so harshly are women themselves. Most media in today's world is both very feminist and at the same time very stereotypical of men. Why should women have flexibility in their gender role, why men are only allowed to choose one role (the traditional one)?

And even that role is attacked as being aggressive and anti-woman, so you have men left not knowing what role to be. At least in other countries men have a clear role! In America today you have feminists saying men are useless. We don't feel needed by society anymore.

The men still are after the women (for some reason, I guess sex?) while the women don't need the men. Why should women be put on a pedastal, anyway? Aren't women supposed to be equal to men? And yet women still want men to chase them, while they get to deny them at will. A lot of American women seem to think that all they need to do is look good, and it's up to the guys to do all the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.