Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:07 PM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times

Advertisements

My father-in-law has worked in the grocery business for 40 years and the stories he tells us about how the food stampers will come into the stores and buy steaks and lobsters with their government assistance pisses us off to no end. So many people abuse the system because they CAN and the lack of regulation makes it easier every day. I've been in stores and see people with government assistance cards and food stamps and they have designer clothes and purses and the latest smart phones, etc. I've also seen them drive off in BMW's and Mercedes. WTH, right?? Gotta love America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 PM

198 posts, read 262,835 times
Some of you sound very judgemental, and obviously don't know a wide variety of people. There are those who take advantage of the system and know how to work it. But there are MANY MANY people who are in need of government assistance but can't get it because they don't qualify. My husband and I both work full time jobs. We have 2 kids and 1 on the way. We buy ONLY the necessities because that's what we can afford. We have both health insurance and car insurance which is NOT cheap. We live paycheck to paycheck. When we get paid, we pay whatever bills we can pay and the rest goes to groceries which is usually about $50 worth every 2 weeks. We could definately use assistance, but we don't qualify. Our children eat before we do. There are days we do not eat dinner because we simply don't have it. I don't complain because I know there are many people that I know personally who don't have what we have even though we're struggling. It's just best to NOT assume. You never know a persons story and what they're going through.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I had some well paid friends who would purchase food stamps from poor people for pennies on the dollar so the poor people could buy cigs and alcohol. It's different with the cards now but that illustrates how abused the system is.

I do believe lots of kids go to bed hungry. If the school didn't do "free" (not to us) meals those kids might never eat.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
My father-in-law has worked in the grocery business for 40 years and the stories he tells us about how the food stampers will come into the stores and buy steaks and lobsters with their government assistance pisses us off to no end.
What's your point? If what your FIL says is true (and I'm skeptical) they are choosing quality sources of protein for their families. They get a set amount to spend, and they (not you) choose what food to spend it on.

Quote:
So many people abuse the system because they CAN and the lack of regulation makes it easier every day. I've been in stores and see people with government assistance cards and food stamps and they have designer clothes and purses and the latest smart phones, etc.
The US government spends more that twice as much on defense as we do on welfare. So complain to your local congressman about that first, then get back to me

Current Spending: History and Charts for US Governments - UsGovernmentSpending.com

Quote:
I've also seen them drive off in BMW's and Mercedes. WTH, right?? Gotta love America!
I have heard this B.S. many times and have yet to see any evidence of that. Besides, who are you to judge?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:31 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
They somewhat are but, when you see signs advertising "We accept EBT!" sitting outside of CONVENIENCE stores it makes my blood boil. It's either some Moderator cut: against TOS store buying the cards wholesale so the guy can go buy liquor (double whammy) and restock his shelves, for free and then charge 300% of the going rate or, waste our tax money on items that are way overpriced.

If you get them, MAKE them buy from approved grocers, NOT convenience stores or, insist they pay retail prices similar to grocery stores.....short of that, it begs for fraud. I can see if they normal store is too far away...great, make the convenience store comply with the lower rate...that would work. Again, the answer can't be raise taxes. How about spending the taxes more wisely.

Let's try that first?
Try understanding this concept: many poor DO NOT DRIVE OR HAVE A CAR. So a cab to a grocery store outweighs the cost of convenience store shopping.

So you would rather place restrictions on small businesses AND food stamps?

I want my "freedom" back.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:49 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I've been looking at volunteer opportunities, and came across a listing for some outfit that claims that a large percentage of children go to bed hungry.

Well, I've been on Food Stamps and they provided more than I could eat. I couldn't consume all that food. And food stamps in the US are not particularly hard to get.

So how does it happen that anyone's hungry?

As a matter of fact, I've heard that obesity is a significant problem among Americans with meager resources.
Perhaps you were responsible with your purchases? I was recently behind a woman who paid with her EBT card. She bought $220 dollars worth of junk. Cases of soda, chips, sugary cereal, etc. All name brand, overpriced, processed food I wouldn't even want for free.

Last edited by escapenc; 10-24-2014 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
If you think that hunger is a valid problem in America please take time to look at the statistics in this article:

The Problem Is Obesity Not Hunger (Thoughts On The Food Stamps Debate) - Forbes

Old 10-24-2014, 05:48 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If you think that hunger is a valid problem in America please take time to look at the statistics in this article:

The Problem Is Obesity Not Hunger (Thoughts On The Food Stamps Debate) - Forbes
First of all, that is an opinion piece. Secondly, even the author admits that hunger exists in America but he disagrees with the numbers. It's more of an attack on a government agency....which like most government agencies is bloated with people intent on validating their jobs. In that respect, he could be talking about the DEA, the FDA or ICE. They're all the same, only the letters are different.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:56 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Sonorio, you do not write like someone who was on food stamps! Correct spelling, proper grammar, good vocabulary: it would be unusual for a former food stamp recipient to exhibit even one of these, let alone all of them.

Like everyone else, I'm sure there are some kids who go to bed hungry. I'm also sure it's not because they don't have access to food. Their parents might be drug addled, food stores might have shut down in their crime ridden neighborhoods. Who knows? But there are so many ways they can access food that non-access is not an issue.
Even though you use correct spelling, have a vocabulary, and a fair grasp of grammar, that was an extremely narrow minded point of view. However, I'm not jumping to any conclusions about your intelligence. Obviously you did not bother to read any of the posted links. People still go hungry for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest reasons is accessibility. Perhaps you aren't familiar with links, so let me help out. Here's an excerpt from the Nat Geo article:

Quote:
Stranded in a Food Desert

Tens of thousands of people in Houston and in other parts of the U.S. live in a food desert: They’re more than half a mile from a supermarket and don’t own a car, because of poverty, illness, or age. Public transportation may not fill the gap. Small markets or fast-food restaurants may be within walking distance, but not all accept vouchers. If they do, costs may be higher and nutritious options fewer.
Hunger is a multifaceted problem. Just because SNAP exists, it doesn't mean that everyone can take advantage of what the program offers. There are logistical issues that come into play. Transportation, access to the government agencies and available funds are just a few. Pride also comes into play. The USDA estimates that only 40% of seniors eligible for SNAP take advantage of the benefits. Yes.........hard as it is to believe, some people are too proud to accept government assistance. They'd rather go hungry than take what they perceive as a "handout". Good for them......Right?

.........and believe it or not, my wife and I accepted food stamps for 6 months when we were down and out after our twins died and we were both out of work. Intelligence is not a guarantee for wealth. Life can be cruel sometimes and it doesn't ask if you're ready before kicking you in the groin and smacking you in the head with a 2x4.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-25-2014 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 10-24-2014, 05:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
children do go to bed hungry in america, i was one of them. its not bek we did not have money, its bek my parents were crazy.
the most hated agency in usa is not TSA, its CPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates