Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:41 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post

A gov't or political party that defunds education, ships jobs overseas, and attempts to create a culture rich in religious "faith" and undying "patriotism", creates a culture rich in faithful and patriotic naïve, young men who look to the military as both their duty and their savior.

The war machine moves on.
That must be the war machine of Communist China that invaded Communist Vietnam or the war machine of the communist USSR that invaded the war machine of communist Czechoslovakia? And communist Hugary and communist East Germany and communist China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 03:13 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
I need some help elaborating a concept I believe to be true.
I believe that all wars throughout recorded history have begun with the accumulation of wealth, and ended in the redistribution of that wealth. I believe greed is the motivation behind empire building. Why are people driven to acquire far more than they actually need? Even when we and our descendants are assured of all of the creature comforts available, we still push to acquire more. Is this drive for dominance irresistible or can we rise above it? Why is pride such a motivating factor that soldiers will suffer and die for pride of a country which values them less than cattle?
This is so wrong because it oversimplifies everything.

In ancient Rome several wars were fought not necessarily for the expansion of the Roman Empire but so that the generals leading them would gain glory and greater political position. It wasn't just Rome that engaged in those type of wars either.

Some wars were fought purely for revenge ie the Persians invading Greece in ancient times because of what the Greeks did with sending troops into a conflict Persia was engaged in. After burning down Athens the Persians left. They didn't try and take over all of Greece after they got there revenge.

The Vikings were involved in a lot of wars but that was mostly due to just survival. They lacked good farmland and would've starved to death if they didn't invade others for what they had ie food. That's not greed that's wanting to live and what all they did was due to survival.

As far as your view of soldiers goes you obviously never served and are about ******* clueless what it's like to be a soldier and why people choice that path. As far as valuing soldiers less then cattle that is not true in the United States. We have the GI Bill, VA hospitals, Veterans preferences in getting hired by companies, etc. If anything it's very very beneficial to have served in the military in the United States.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:20 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
There are quite some wars that point back to wealth...

Revolutionary War... if the British left the $$ of Colonial Americans alone, the war at the very least could've been postponed

Civil War... someone on C-D was quoted as saying "morality is nice, but money is king".

Mexican American War... the US wanted more lands, so they fought Mexico for it.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:50 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
This is so wrong because it oversimplifies everything.

In ancient Rome several wars were fought not necessarily for the expansion of the Roman Empire but so that the generals leading them would gain glory and greater political position. It wasn't just Rome that engaged in those type of wars either.

Some wars were fought purely for revenge ie the Persians invading Greece in ancient times because of what the Greeks did with sending troops into a conflict Persia was engaged in. After burning down Athens the Persians left. They didn't try and take over all of Greece after they got there revenge.

The Vikings were involved in a lot of wars but that was mostly due to just survival. They lacked good farmland and would've starved to death if they didn't invade others for what they had ie food. That's not greed that's wanting to live and what all they did was due to survival.

As far as your view of soldiers goes you obviously never served and are about ******* clueless what it's like to be a soldier and why people choice that path. As far as valuing soldiers less then cattle that is not true in the United States. We have the GI Bill, VA hospitals, Veterans preferences in getting hired by companies, etc. If anything it's very very beneficial to have served in the military in the United States.
Truth in this. Ancient soldiers, well, soldiering was their trade. It is the same in some regards, now, but , say, a Roman soldier, lived that life for far different reasons. Back then, soldiering took a bit more sand and grit. Successful generals treated their men as well as possible, too. At least making valiant attempts to supply good food, shelter, some simple pleasures and would spend time among their men, as one of them. These things went a long way to securing the loyalty and even love of the men.

Your reasoning as to the why's of various conflicts are also dead on. Particularly with the Vikings. Raiding was how they survived. They didn't question it, or try to pursue other paths, because it worked, and was just the way of things. Living hard and dieing young.

Politics was a Roman thing. It ended up being instrumental in their collapse. But , again, was the way of things. At any rate, good post.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,409 times
The comment about why "Vikings" made war is false. Read just about any saga and you'll find out what really were the motivating factors.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:11 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,080 times
Quote:
It's my view that the lust after power is simply another manifestation of greed. So would the generalization that war is a result of greed be correct?
Power is not the manifestation of greed. Is the opposite. Greed is the manifestation of power. And both greed and power are manifestations of human nature, humanity, if you will. Both are to stay with human species to the end of our course on this planet. This is particularly important for people who know little about evolution to open their eyes to. Evolution is the most cruel and natural force on earth. It is going, and going among humans as well.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:49 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
Narcissism and evil are the motivation behind empire building and war.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:18 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Man is a rapacious animal. Were he to have been content with the fruits already available to him, he would never have come down from the trees.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:52 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,037 times
There are only 2 reasons why wars have ever broken out....resources and religion.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Quote:
I need some help elaborating a concept I believe to be true.
I believe that all wars throughout recorded history have begun with the accumulation of wealth, and ended in the redistribution of that wealth. I believe greed is the motivation behind empire building. Why are people driven to acquire far more than they actually need? Even when we and our descendants are assured of all of the creature comforts available, we still push to acquire more. Is this drive for dominance irresistible or can we rise above it? Why is pride such a motivating factor that soldiers will suffer and die for pride of a country which values them less than cattle?
I wouldn't say all wars were created for greed. Some people just don't get along, have different views, and some leaders just have big egos or a vendetta to settle.

Far as the US starting all these wars I think it's corruption. Perhaps it is greed and they've sold out to the highest donor. Some of it is ego too. The need to 1 up other foreign leaders. That's why I would not go to war I just don't trust our leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates