Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You have a broad definition of what constitutes a victim. Being upset about something does not make you a victim. Harassment requires systematic and repeated interaction. Comments between strangers do not constitute harassment.

The article you link uses a very good term: Defensive Attribution. It is the most common form of lying. People will do anything to avoid talking about their own misbehavior, so they will change the subject and talk about someone else. The pattern is set early in childhood, and many people never outgrow it, because many times it works.

An objective observer will see both men and women lying their heads off about social interactions. Men will immediately start talking about the woman or their buddies, women will immediately start talking about the man or how women are treated in Saudi Arabia. Neither of them has the slightest interest in discussing their own behavior, and will become upset and defensive if you try to rub their nose in it.

If you try to deny that there is inappropriate behavior for both men and women, you are not engaging reality.
Yes, some men and women are inappropriate and make poor choices. Sometimes people lie. That's human nature.

So, you think a man on the street should be okay if they shout obscenities at a female? Following them and invading their body space in a threatening way? Grabbing a part of their bodies?

I don't know many women who would be upset at a man saying hi, wow, nice dress, or something mild. However, they are allowed to be irritated or whatever. They are not allowed to rail against the men for doing that, hitting them, calling the cops or whatever.

If you want to try and control someone else's emotions, deeds or thoughts, good luck. men and women have that freedom here, until it crosses the line.

I would equally condemn a woman who reacts to a guy saying "hi"by shouting obscenities at him, kneeing him in the groin, or something that harassed him.

Both instances are outside the societal norms we live by. Having women cover up is not going to change these outliers behavior.

Last edited by Meyerland; 04-12-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 02:09 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I do believe we all may not be talking about the same things since most people agree when extremes are used as examples so I'll leave you all to this conversation.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:35 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Despite my best efforts, every time I check on this thread I have to delete more posts than I can leave up. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates