Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 AM

722 posts, read 1,327,629 times

Advertisements

What if you didnt own any firearms and you had to protect yourself from possible vicious dogs / pitt bull attack? and a child or elderly person was getting mauled in your front yard, what would be a good weapon to use against vicious dogs like that? a club, hammer, pitch fork?

a pitch fork used for hay would probably work well for something like that so you could keep some distance

or possibly a long pole with a bayonet attached.

I was almost attacked once just trying to check my mail box by a loose dog that was hanging around my property because the next door neighbor had a female dog in heat.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I would say if you can keep your distance that is the best way. I have seen people walking with a stick or golf club and suspect they have it in case a dog comes at them.
If you are riding a bike and attacked jump off the bike and use it as a shield.

If you discharge a firearm on the street you will be in trouble. If you kill the neighbors dog you will be in trouble.

I was out at the street this past winter shoveling snow and I heard a sound behind me. I turned to see the neighbors pitbull charging at me. I love animals but I readied the shovel to whack that dog. The neighbor called the dog back like nothing had happened, she baby talked to the dog "did you think that was daddy?" It gave me a fright and she was oblivious to it.

If the dog is locked onto someone getting them off may cause more tissue damage because some dogs shake their heads. Go for soft spots but be ready to get attacked yourself.
In a dog attack you become another animal that is trying to take something away from that dog, a pet or child and it will become even more vicious.

pepper spray, mace, bear repellent, hornet/ wasp spray.

If you get charged try to make yourself look big.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:44 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Machete or sword work nifty. Than a small al bat for the dog's owner.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:25 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
I own a few firearms, but never really take them out much unless it's target shooting out in the boonies.

I typically either go with the aforementioned golf-club, or sometimes a home-made, string and rock mace!!
I make a few of these things and use them to trip the dogs and hog-tie them if they get too close.

Hog-tie as in the string gets tied around their legs by the motion of the rock and they can't move for a bit.

Never was much of a dog person any way.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:55 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
The main rule is to never back down from an aggressive dog. Face it, stand your ground or even take a half step toward it, lock eyes, and even give a low growl. Speak its language. Make it think you are the biggest bad it's ever seen. You are bigger than it is, so show it. I've backed down full-grown pit-bulls this way.

If that doesn't work:

Small dog: a good punt. Honestly, the only way a small animal can hurt you is if you are afraid of hurting it. I'll never go out of my way to hurt any animal, but if a little yappy dog tries to bite me it will learn to fly.

Otherwise, OC Pepper spray is legal almost everywhere, can be carried on a key chain, and is your best bet. Mace can be heavily restricted depending on where you are. A sturdy wood walking stick with a pointy metal tip can be extremely useful to stab, push, and whack. Last would be a good fighting knife, but those may also be restricted.

Talking about pit bulls, keep in mind they have VERY STRONG and thick skulls designed to take lots of punishment. They lock on and don't let go; you cannot pull the dog away, and as already mentioned you can even cause more damage by trying. I know this from experience. An untrained pit attacked my well-trained GSD; they both started off aggressive, but I called my dog off and she immediately ignored the pit. As soon as she turned away the pit lunged and grabbed her neck. Trying to get him off his owner and I actually pulled my GSD's neck skin away from the muscle underneath.

If it isn't trained well enough to release on command, you have to either force its jaws open with a metal tool or kill it. In my case the owner's wife ran up with a wrench and we were able to pry.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
We had two pitbulls come after our senior dogs that were on leashes being walked. The two charged out and we saw them coming. I had Knuckle Blaster which I used to minimize was the dogs were trying to do, going at the throats of my dogs. The family stood in the yard, I doubt they spoke English, and watched. The teens started fighting about who let the dogs out. Luckily, they were younger dogs or they may have killed my dogs and then............... We bought larger stun guns with 4 hot spots and sharp prongs, 1 million volts.

If I saw a person being attacked in my front yard, I would immediately call 911 and then maybe get in my car honking the horn and moving toward the offender. I am sorry but taking on a pitbull with a hoe or a shovel is not something I am going to do for anyone outside of my immediate family. People that go out and walk need to take protection with them, it is called personal responsibility. We have a lot of dog bites in our town since illegals bring the dogs along for protection and since this isn't a secret, everyone needs to do what they need to do.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:45 PM

579 posts, read 521,620 times
If a dog lunges at you and you don't have a weapon your best bet is to thrust your hand forward and let them go for that, the trick is, DON'T PULL BACK! Shove your hand down the dogs throat and they will back away real fast.

Saved myself from a psycho standard poodle doing that. Didn't have a scratch on me.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:29 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
The main rule is to never back down from an aggressive dog. Face it, stand your ground or even take a half step toward it, lock eyes, and even give a low growl. Speak its language. Make it think you are the biggest bad it's ever seen. You are bigger than it is, so show it. I've backed down full-grown pit-bulls this way.

If that doesn't work:

Small dog: a good punt. Honestly, the only way a small animal can hurt you is if you are afraid of hurting it. I'll never go out of my way to hurt any animal, but if a little yappy dog tries to bite me it will learn to fly.

Otherwise, OC Pepper spray is legal almost everywhere, can be carried on a key chain, and is your best bet. Mace can be heavily restricted depending on where you are. A sturdy wood walking stick with a pointy metal tip can be extremely useful to stab, push, and whack. Last would be a good fighting knife, but those may also be restricted.

Talking about pit bulls, keep in mind they have VERY STRONG and thick skulls designed to take lots of punishment. They lock on and don't let go; you cannot pull the dog away, and as already mentioned you can even cause more damage by trying. I know this from experience. An untrained pit attacked my well-trained GSD; they both started off aggressive, but I called my dog off and she immediately ignored the pit. As soon as she turned away the pit lunged and grabbed her neck. Trying to get him off his owner and I actually pulled my GSD's neck skin away from the muscle underneath.

If it isn't trained well enough to release on command, you have to either force its jaws open with a metal tool or kill it. In my case the owner's wife ran up with a wrench and we were able to pry.
I once saw a bull terrier attack another dog in the back yard of my friend's house & he wouldn't/couldn't release. The dog's owner put his foot on it's arse and slid them both right into the swimming pool. Presto, he released and end of fight. I'm guessing it would work with a pit bull as well and you could probably make it work with a bucket of water, instead of a swimming pool? Just a thought.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I used a baseball bat on a pit bull that came after me. I carried it anytime I was out for a walk.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:37 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
If a dog lunges at you and you don't have a weapon your best bet is to thrust your hand forward and let them go for that, the trick is, DON'T PULL BACK! Shove your hand down the dogs throat and they will back away real fast.

Saved myself from a psycho standard poodle doing that. Didn't have a scratch on me.
The best way to do that is to shove your hand straight down the dogs throat, then make a fist and hold it until the dog is dead. A better strategy is offering out your weakest arm for the dog to bite, as soon as it bites use the stronger arm to grasp it by the throat while pushing the dog over backwards, squeeze until dog is dead. I like dogs and have my own, but dogs that attack need to be put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates